The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9900
This conversation highlights for me how little I know about IB! So, where do you guys think I should start if I want to read up?
Reply 9901
It's a shame this is what the economics thread has come to but it's a natural progression :colondollar:

Original post by Brand New Eyes
Is Spring Week for two weeks?

D: Bath only gives you a 2 week Easter break

I'm not sure about that, my offer is for the non-placement course but I can still opt in I think hmmm

Spring weeks are only 4 days long I think. If you do well with applications then I think quite a lot of people end up doing two during the Easter break, but I believe it is a month in most places so Bath's two weeks might restrict you. I'm sure you will be able to transfer to the placement course.

Original post by zxh800
This conversation highlights for me how little I know about IB! So, where do you guys think I should start if I want to read up?

The IB&C sub-forum is actually pretty decent at giving you a general idea of what is going on, there is a lot of trash talk on there but you can spot that a mile off and just ignore it. Looking at company websites and seeing what schemes they offer is generally quite useful as well.
Original post by Tateco
Exactly, I might do a masters before I start though, not sure yet. There are so many areas in banking as well, not all of it is 18 hours a day :tongue:

Bulge bracket for women :lol: let me just find the article

http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/all/488671/essex-and-the-city-my-life-as-a-posh-bird-broker.thtml
Reply 9903

Inter-dealer brokers sound like fun :erm:

There are quite a few pre-university schemes (like insight days etc.) aimed at women only, so you should look into them if you're considering it :tongue:
Original post by Tateco

Spring weeks are only 4 days long I think. If you do well with applications then I think quite a lot of people end up doing two during the Easter break, but I believe it is a month in most places so Bath's two weeks might restrict you. I'm sure you will be able to transfer to the placement course.

I think Spring Weeks are usually at least a week, I do know for sure that Goldman Sachs is two weeks long. :ninja:
Original post by Tateco
Inter-dealer brokers sound like fun :erm:

There are quite a few pre-university schemes (like insight days etc.) aimed at women only, so you should look into them if you're considering it :tongue:

I applied for the JP Morgan one but what others are there? :smile: and thanks!

Original post by Tsunami2011
I think Spring Weeks are usually at least a week, I do know for sure that Goldman Sachs is two weeks long. :ninja:

:lol: Oh the LSE problem part I

... only kidding, so did I but do you know when specifically it is?

JP Morgan:

Inside the Industry March 19 - March 23, 2012

Experience the Markets March 26 - March 30, 2012

Deutsche is a week
Original post by Tateco
It's a shame this is what the economics thread has come to but it's a natural progression :colondollar:

you love it really, come join the dark side :ninja:

:lol: Oh the LSE problem part I

... only kidding, so did I but do you know when specifically it is?

JP Morgan:

Inside the Industry March 19 - March 23, 2012

Experience the Markets March 26 - March 30, 2012

Deutsche is a week

:lol: the lure of Goldman Sachs! Seems like they're one of the few banks who actually offer a couple of weeks.

Starts Monday the 9th April and finishes on Friday 20th April. I think nearly every major banks offers one, so if you put abit of effort into it, you should get something.
:lol: the lure of Goldman Sachs! Seems like they're one of the few banks who actually offer a couple of weeks.

Starts Monday the 9th April and finishes on Friday 20th April. I think nearly every major banks offers one, so if you put abit of effort into it, you should get something.

Stupid Bath term times :/ ah well yes I think they do. I find it funny how people include their Spring Week experiences on LinkedIn
Stupid Bath term times :/ ah well yes I think they do. I find it funny how people include their Spring Week experiences on LinkedIn

Yeah, esp when they've done them at all the major banks, but I guess having the brand name of Goldman Sachs, JP.Morgan,etc has some weight and can be helpful for gaining summer internships in Year 2. Linkedin is a pretty crazy place though! I've even seem some people put their J.P Morgan School Programme on their Linkedin page :lol:
Reply 9910

Really? :eek: I'm sure most of the other banks were only offering 4 day things :confused:

Yeah, esp when they've done them at all the major banks, but I guess having the brand name of Goldman Sachs, JP.Morgan,etc has some weight and can be helpful for gaining summer internships in Year 2. Linkedin is a pretty crazy place though! I've even seem some people put their J.P Morgan School Programme on their Linkedin page :lol:

You can't be serious :lolwut:

Hmm yes it kind of goes:

Spring Week > Summer Internship > Placement/further internships > graduate scheme

Seriously!? :lolwut: wow... that is just a tad extreme. I've seen spring week on facebook as well under employers
Original post by nightmare91
And if you want to go into IB, the banks will prefer the Bath student due to the more mathematical content of the course.

IB's do not care about how mathematical one economics course is over the other. It's just economics at a good uni to them. I agree with everything you said there, but Durham is actually better than Bath for IB recruiting and the next best university after the 6 'targets' if you want a career in the city.

Bath is still an amazing university though and it would be great fun there, and although Bath IB recruiting is pretty weak, if you are an outstanding candidate you will get in from either uni, it will just be a bit easier from Durham.
Reply 9913

Morgan Stanley. I'm on holiday for both of them, typical :rolleyes: Luckily I've already been on a few insight days and have got some work experience so it shouldn't hurt me too much!
Original post by Scorcher
IB's do not care about how mathematical one economics course is over the other. It's just economics at a good uni to them. I agree with everything you said there, but Durham is actually better than Bath for IB recruiting and the next best university after the 6 'targets' if you want a career in the city.

Bath is still an amazing university though and it would be great fun there, and although Bath IB recruiting is pretty weak, if you are an outstanding candidate you will get in from either uni, it will just be a bit easier from Durham.

Where exactly are you getting this from?

I think they have pretty established links with banking/consultancy
Original post by Tateco

The IB&C sub-forum is actually pretty decent at giving you a general idea of what is going on, there is a lot of trash talk on there but you can spot that a mile off and just ignore it. Looking at company websites and seeing what schemes they offer is generally quite useful as well.

Haha the trash talk on IB&C is so funny.
Special shout out to Zwei, Frenchous, RocknRap, InvestmentBanker (middle 3 are all UCL Econ students) and last but not least i_hate_teeth!

Also if anyone gets the chance check out Manuel Stotz's linkedin. He's in the LSE pack and I decided to google him, q.impressive.
Original post by Tateco
Really? :eek: I'm sure most of the other banks were only offering 4 day things :confused:

Yep, my friend did one this year, and it was around that length, not sure if they change it every year though, I think the Goldman Sachs one may be abit more intense though, since he was doing 14hrs stints.

You can't be serious :lolwut:

Deadly serious!:grin: I would link, but that'd be a bit of a shady thing to do.:unsure: In all fairness, the rest of the person's profile was very strong though, so wasn't a case of trying to fill up space!

Hmm yes it kind of goes:

Spring Week > Summer Internship > Placement/further internships > graduate scheme

Seriously!? :lolwut: wow... that is just a tad extreme. I've seen spring week on facebook as well under employers

Yep! generally though, a Spring Week is a ticket to a summer internship, unless you're not up to scratch, which means that it is fairly important! and usually its Spring Week> summer intern> Analyst offer. I think people just like the chance to big up their CV :dontknow:
Reply 9917
Original post by funkydee
Special shout out to Zwei, Frenchous, RocknRap, InvestmentBanker (middle 3 are all UCL Econ students) and last but not least i_hate_teeth!

Also if anyone gets the chance check out Manuel Stotz's linkedin. He's in the LSE pack and I decided to google him, q.impressive.

Yeah it is pretty hilarious. I think Zwei went to Warwick and teeth is at Imperial.

How many internships do you want to do?! :eek:

Does Rothschild do Summer internships for first years then?
Original post by funkydee

Rothschild analyst during the summer :eek: after A level interesting.

:lol: we're not trash talking!

Now, how do you address graduate rec? ... (being pedantic)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9919
Deadly serious!:grin: I would link, but that'd be a bit of a shady thing to do.:unsure: In all fairness, the rest of the person's profile was very strong though, so wasn't a case of trying to fill up space!

Yep! generally though, a Spring Week is a ticket to a summer internship, unless you're not up to scratch, which means that it is fairly important! and usually its Spring Week> summer intern> Analyst offer. I think people just like the chance to big up their CV :dontknow:

The goldman sachs one sounds like it would actually be pretty decent experience whereas all the others look like they are more just like something for the CV and a way to get your foot in the door, you agree?

Does the summer internship that potentially leads onto a summer internship happen in the same year as the spring week (1st Year) or the 2nd year? As I understood it the main banks only do summers for 2nd Years or above but I wasn't sure so just wondering if you can clarify.

Latest

Trending

Trending