Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I assume you have had some fairly decent exposure to both these divisions then?
    Trading yes but not IBD. Although I have met people who work in IBD who echo those statements. Just look around at WSO or the IB forum on here and ask anyone who has interned/works in IBD.

Some people will not work well under pressure and won't be able to handle trading (you might be one of those) so naturally they/you will be better suited to IBD so as I said, each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    I'm not really sure about that. I have a very close relative working at one of the bulge brackets and from what he says, Warwick gets more into FO (largely because of WBS and the Econ/Maths depts),than Imperial for obvious reasons, and a similar amount to UCL. Oxbridge and LSE are the 'inner circle' in terms of the targets and will probably get the most students in yearly, and Warwick, UCL and Imperial are the 'outer circle' with Imperial filling the quant roles typically.

EDIT: Unless someone likes Econ & Phil equally, I have no idea why they would endure 3 years of Philosophy just for the brand value.
    inner circle (if such a thing exists): oxbridge + Imperial

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/854d8a6c-d...077b07658.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scorcher)
    Trading yes but not IBD. Although I have met people who work in IBD who echo those statements. Just look around at WSO or the IB forum on here and ask anyone who has interned/works in IBD.

Some people will not work well under pressure and won't be able to handle trading (you might be one of those) so naturally they/you will be better suited to IBD so as I said, each to their own.
    Yea I've heard IBD is a bit dull. But let's be honest, most people that work at an Investment bank don't want to spend the rest of their life there. The ones I talked to were aiming for Private Equity/Hedge Funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theophile)
    inner circle: oxbridge + Imperial

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/854d8a6c-d...077b07658.html
    Yeah I saw that. Not convinced though, considering that LSE is regarded as a 'breeding ground for bankers' and get more into the industry.

(Original post by nightmare91)
    That's true I guess. Is anyone of you interested in S&T btw? I always hear people wanting to get into IBD but almost never into S&T.
    The hours in IBD are pretty crazy i.e 18hrs, and far more mundanem which traders only operate when the markets are alive. I think IBD is more spoken about on here, because you' don't need a specific degree to apply hence why its more competitive, and its more reliant on soft skills which moulded further. Whilst S&T does seem to need more hard skills. My bro works at GS and from what he says IBD is generally for the pretty faces, and is more diverse in the makeup of analysts intake. But, by large even if you're on the trading floor, you have a limited amount of power as a junior analyst., and as they say, a first year trader isn't worth the seat he sits on. I would prefer S&T, but am probably not doing a quantitative degree, so may find it hard to get a look in. (do have A-Level Maths though)

So strange how I'm on this thread, but not actually an Econ applicant :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yea I've heard IBD is a bit dull. But let's be honest, most people that work at an Investment bank don't want to spend the rest of their life there. The ones I talked to were aiming for Private Equity/Hedge Funds.
    True, but don't think Private Equity is any better. You will still be slugging away in a cubicle on pitchbooks for 16 hours a day, the only thing is you will be on slightly better money. Private Equity will never be exciting, it's just working the same hours and doing the same **** as IBD on a pay rise.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

:rofl: Where did that come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    Yeah I saw that. Not convinced though, considering that LSE is regarded as a 'breeding ground for bankers' and get more into the industry.
    That is not the only article mentionning this inner circle.

The total number is one thing, I think the most interesting is the ratio admission/application per school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    :rofl: Where did that come from?
    That wasn't a dig at you btw, I was just saying it is not uncommon for people to gravitate to IBD because of the stress of trading, i.e could be any of us that couldn't handle it. Sorry if it came across like that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That wasn't a dig at you btw, I was just saying it is not uncommon for people to gravitate to IBD because of the stress of trading, i.e could be any of us that couldn't handle it. Sorry if it came across like that
    Haha, I wouldn't just discount IBD in terms of stress levels, trading must be pretty intense but slogging it out as a junior in M&A probably takes its toll,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)

I still haven't decided.
    If you're really unsure about which uni to choose make a thread about it (w/without a poll)

But once again I'd say.

Durham. Durham. Durham.

My reasons why :
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - consistently ranked several places higher in league tables / greater prestige of uni
    - Durham economics has to be quite quantitative. All forms of core econ at any uni will have applied mathematical focus in years 2 otherwise it wouldn't rank so high department wise
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Isn't Econ Methods they're equiv maths module. There's only one proper maths & stats course you have to do in preparation for later years (even at places like LSE)

-not really a good point as its subjective but looking through linkedin generally more impressive profiles for durham when I typed in "bsc/ba economics bath/durham linkedin" to google.
    -Also one of the linkedin profiles of a durham economist went to lse for an msc, so the course must be quantitative enough. The same route could prob be taken obviously at Bath
    - you can opt for a placement year at durham if that really appeals however it'll prob be big 4 / back office either uni

So yeah.

In short: Department wise pretty much even. Uni prestige Durham edges it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee)
    If you're really unsure about which uni to choose make a thread about it (w/without a poll)

But once again I'd say.

Durham. Durham. Durham.

My reasons why :
    Spoiler:
    Show
    - consistently ranked several places higher in league tables / greater prestige of uni
    - Durham economics has to be quite quantitative. All forms of core econ at any uni will have applied mathematical focus in years 2 otherwise it wouldn't rank so high department wise
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Isn't Econ Methods they're equiv maths module. There's only one proper maths & stats course you have to do in preparation for later years (even at places like LSE)

-not really a good point as its subjective but looking through linkedin generally more impressive profiles for durham when I typed in "bsc/ba economics bath/durham linkedin" to google.
    -Also one of the linkedin profiles of a durham economist went to lse for an msc, so the course must be quantitative enough. The same route could prob be taken obviously at Bath
    - you can opt for a placement year at durham if that really appeals however it'll prob be big 4 / back office either uni

So yeah.

In short: Department wise pretty much even. Uni prestige Durham edges it.
    Thank you for your extensive stalking knowledge I pretty much decided a few days ago but this pushes my % of certainty up slightly!

You're going to LSE right?

11 MORE POSTS! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your extensive stalking knowledge I pretty much decided a few days ago but this pushes my % of certainty up slightly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8 10 :cool:

ReputationRep:

Someone NEEDS to create a new one! Where is Tateco when you need him

ReputationRep:
    Someone NEEDS to create a new one! Where is Tateco when you need him
    SEVEN +1 :lol:

Anyone can make a new thread! Okay now... :ninja: who will be the 10,000th post

ReputationRep:
    SEVEN

Anyone can make a new thread! Okay now... :ninja: who will be the 10,000th post
    But Tateco is our thread-dad! But okay. The last one to post in this thread has to create the new one

SIX

ReputationRep:
    I think Tateco should make it, it will feel weird to me otherwise

ReputationRep:
    *volunteers*

nah im kidding Tateco has the honours yo

ReputationRep:

Haha anything to avoid revision/proactive!

And hopefully need to buckle down for exams soon though *yawns*

ReputationRep:
    Boo.

R.I.P. Econ App Thread 2012

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    *volunteers*

nah im kidding Tateco has the honours yo
    A quick look tells me you're our 2nd highest poster; only about 1200 posts behind 1st though

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.