Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Other than the obvious feeling of helping humanity, volunteering at a charity shop is useless in terms of applying for Economics. Anyway, so how strong an academic profile are we talking ?
    10A*s predicted 4As

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    My non-academic stuff is certainly not a third. I have a paragraph about extra activities relating directly to economics, but only a very small section (300 characters) about my hobbies, I don't really see what it adds to my application (would appreciate it if someone from PS help could confirm/reject this comment)

EDIT: I pretty much only mention my hobbies, including young enterprise within that list, as I don't think young enterprise is actually directly relevant to economics...
    I would say unless your extra-currics are truly brilliant, don't waste a lot of space discussing them. Occasionally, you get the oddun' who's a music genius or maths prodigy or whatever and it helps them to let the tutors know that they're ****in' bright.

But it certainly helps to show that you're a well-rounded person...don't worry about being irrelevant and forcing a tenuous link between grade 8 piano and market failure. Not everything has to link back to why you want to dry-hump economics.

Length, structure blah blah....**** it (to an extent). As long as it sounds good and helps you sell yourself, let it be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Hard to say without knowing exactly what you're talking about, but if it's not relevant to your course, why you want to study it, or why you'd be suitable, then it really doesn't add anything at all.
    Would someone be at a disadvantage if they did not present any work experience or volunteer work.
    And for someone who lacks such things, could you recommend something to do which could possibly strengthen the PS in those respects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks)
    Have a pretty strong academic profile, and looking forward to explaining why i want to study economics in my personal statement.

However, i have very little extra curricular to mention, no relevant work experience and im struggling to include anything on the non-academic "third" of my personal statement.

Is it really worth voluntaring at a charity shop?

Any suggestiona on what i could do which would help my situation will be much appreciated.
    Other than the obvious feeling of helping humanity, volunteering at a charity shop is useless in terms of applying for Economics. Anyway, so how strong an academic profile are we talking ?
    Disagree with this. At many of the top unis it's not what you do but just that you did it. I've worked in a charity shop for a year; it's completely unrelated but it shows skills which is important. Top unis just want to see you're able to do work and something else (you can cope with doing more work at uni and you'll contribute to the community).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Disagree with this. At many of the top unis it's not what you do but just that you did it. I've worked in a charity shop for a year; it's completely unrelated but it shows skills which is important. Top unis just want to see you're able to do work and something else (you can cope with doing more work at uni and you'll contribute to the community).
    How do you plan on linking it in?

ReputationRep:
    How do you plan on linking it in?
    I just explained that it taught me skills and that's all.
    If you look at any personal statement that's all that's required. If you want to think of it in a different way think about someone with Grade 8 piano. It means nothing to economics but you would never leave it out would you?

Edit: Didn't really answer your question. After the first part of the PS (why I want to do Economics, work related to it, other subjects) I have a extra- curricular area where you just put everything else you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks)
    Would someone be at a disadvantage if they did not present any work experience or volunteer work.
    No. It can be a good thing to talk about, but it's not the only good thing to talk about.

And for someone who lacks such things, could you recommend something to do which could possibly strengthen the PS in those respects.
    Slightly concerned that your attitude is more "I should do this so I can talk about it on my PS", rather than "I want to do this because the subject interests me". It's not like "oh, no work experience, good thing he has xyz instead". Reading around the subject and educating yourself on topics that interest you is a safe bet, but it's not like you "need" an array of unusual activities to draw on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    I just explained that it taught me skills and that's all.
    If you look at any personal statement that's all that's required. If you want to think of it in a different way think about someone with Grade 8 piano. It means nothing to economics but you would never leave it out would you?

Edit: Didn't really answer your question. After the first part of the PS (why I want to do Economics, work related to it, other subjects) I have a extra- curricular area where you just put everything else you do.
    But how is working in a charity shop good for the uni in any way? I think the fact I go out with my friends a lot shows I'm sociable and would fit in a university, but I wouldn't include that would I?

On another note, is a good to mention a part time job in the PS? I'm not sure where I can fit it in

ReputationRep:
    But how is working in a charity shop good for the uni in any way?
    It depends on what you do. Obviously.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Overmars)
    It depends on what you do. Obviously.
    What do you mean? How does the fact that someone works in a charity shop mean that they can contribute to the university any more than someone who hasn't?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? How does the fact that someone works in a charity shop mean that they can contribute to the university any more than someone who hasn't?
    Not everything you do has to benefit the university. You're not applying for a job. If it has helped with personal development in any capacity, that is fine to explain why you've become a better person as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Got my UCAS log in today and started filling in everything!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Not everything you do has to benefit the university. You're not applying for a job. If it has helped with personal development in any capacity, that is fine to explain why you've become a better person as a result.
    I understand that, but for a personal statement, don't academic activities and contribution to the university take priority? (Sorry for being so inquisitive, I'm just trying to work out whether I'm along the right lines with my personal statement )
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I understand that, but for a personal statement, don't academic activities and contribution to the university take priority? (Sorry for being so inquisitive, I'm just trying to work out whether I'm along the right lines with my personal statement )
    Yes, but if volunteering in a charity shop showed you the value of hard-work towards personal goals, it could be worth putting down and explaining that!

I'm sure yours is great.

ReputationRep:
    Related academic activities, yes. That's not in question. If you have activities that centre around your prospective academic study, then great -- though with Economics that's difficult to find.

Contribution to the university? I wouldn't say so. The thing you have to understand is that undergraduate admission tutors aren't directors interviewing you for a graduate job. When they're looking at your application, they're not actively thinking "what can we get from him/her?". Of course, getting a group of academically able kids together is in the interests of achieving higher standards for their department. Aside from academic potential, they just want good people. Anything that helps you to explain that you're well-rounded (in a non-Frank Lampard way) is fine, even if the university can't directly gain from it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Related academic activities, yes. That's not in question. If you have activities that centre around your prospective academic study, then great -- though with Economics that's difficult to find.

Contribution to the university? I wouldn't say so. The thing you have to understand is that undergraduate admission tutors aren't directors interviewing you for a graduate job. When they're looking at your application, they're not actively thinking "what can we get from him/her?". Of course, getting a group of academically able kids together is in the interests of achieving higher standards for their department. Aside from academic potential, they just want good people. Anything that helps you to explain that you're well-rounded (in a non-Frank Lampard way) is fine, even if the university can't directly gain from it.
    Thanks mate that's very helpful Repped

ReputationRep:
    Who here hasn't started writing their ps? I'm one of the only ones? I don't know how to start!?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thamerz)
    Who here hasn't started writing their ps? I'm one of the only ones? I don't know how to start!?
    Most people haven't started, we're just particularly eager! It's good to start early, though - gives you more time to work on it.

I personally found reading a few examples from the personal statement library prompted me into thinking of a few ideas

ReputationRep:
    ^Just sit down and start writing it, you've got plenty of time to tweak it between now and sending it off. I'm sure the start of mine will change a number of times before i'm finished.

ReputationRep:
    Username: somaiyar
    Predicted AS grades (and subjects): AAAA (Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry)
    Subjects for A2: Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Extended Project
    Universities likely to apply to: UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, City (haven't decided on 5th)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.