The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So everyone what are your plans after doing economics at uni? - career plans etc
Also are you worried about the fees/debt/tax whichever way you look at it and do you plan on ever paying off your loan?
Reply 1101
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): AAAAA: Biology, Economics, English Literature, Further Maths, Maths.
Subjects for A2: Biology, Economics, English Literature, Further Maths, Maths.
Universities likely to apply to: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, St. Andrews.
Extras: The 5th A-Level is currently in debate, as is the 5th university. :u:
Reply 1102
Original post by TheBrightSide
So everyone what are your plans after doing economics at uni? - career plans etc
Also are you worried about the fees/debt/tax whichever way you look at it and do you plan on ever paying off your loan?

Good question. Depending on what university I get into I will try for schemes primarily in the financial sector, whether it be banking or accountancy related work. If I don't get into the top 5 the latter is more likely, gaining qualification in the ACA is quite good so I hear, nothing is set in stone yet though....

Not worried about the fees at all and I'm sure I will pay it off.

You?
Reply 1103
Original post by Tateco
Good question. Depending on what university I get into I will try for schemes primarily in the financial sector, whether it be banking or accountancy related work. If I don't get into the top 5 the latter is more likely, gaining qualification in the ACA is quite good so I hear, nothing is set in stone yet though....

You?

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the student loan repayments. Although I am slightly nervous that if I choose to study in London, my maintenance loan won't cover accommodation!
Reply 1104
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the student loan repayments. Although I am slightly nervous that if I choose to study in London, my maintenance loan won't cover accommodation!

I don't think it will cover it wherever I end up :/ I'm not going to like spending capital like that when it will be much better used for other things.
Reply 1105
Original post by Tateco
I don't think it will cover it wherever I end up :/ I'm not going to like spending capital like that when it will be much better used for other things.

Considering a student loan is the best loan you'll ever get, I agree. Although I am such a silly saver I'll have enough to cover it, but I'd prefer to use my loan.

I can't wait to see the reviews on my PS! :colone:
Reply 1106
Original post by Groat

I can't wait to see the reviews on my PS! :colone:

Same, nervous at the same time, though.
Wow, just happened by this thread and I'm sure the post count is way ahead of last year?! Impressive. Good luck to you guys anyway, I'm sure you'll all do well with this degree of preparation. I'll admit to not starting my PS until the start of September last year and panicking when I entered the 2011 thread and saw people were on their 3rd or 4th draft!

Good luck, feel free to PM me any questions if you think I can help, although by reading some of the comments, you guys know more about the process than I do :tongue:
Reply 1108
Original post by Outsanity
Wow, just happened by this thread and I'm sure the post count is way ahead of last year?! Impressive. Good luck to you guys anyway, I'm sure you'll all do well with this degree of preparation. I'll admit to not starting my PS until the start of September last year and panicking when I entered the 2011 thread and saw people were on their 3rd or 4th draft!

Good luck, feel free to PM me any questions if you think I can help, although by reading some of the comments, you guys know more about the process than I do :tongue:

If you could change one thing about the application you submitted what would you change? :biggrin:
Reply 1109

Wow man, If my offers go anything like yours I'll be in dreamland.
Reply 1110
Original post by zxh800

Exactly what I was thinking :tongue:
Reply 1111

you must have been nervous applying to all those and well done beating thousands of applicants and getting into lse :tongue:
Original post by alnov
you must have been nervous applying to all those and well done beating thousands of applicants and getting into lse :tongue:

Original post by zxh800

Original post by Tateco
If you could change one thing about the application you submitted what would you change? :biggrin:

Hehe, thanks and yes, I knew it was risky but I really wanted "all or nothing" as such. As for one thing I would change, it would probably have been the introduction to my PS. I mean, you'll all know that you want to avoid the cliche openings but I tried hard to be original in mine and in the end (after I sent it off) I was worried it sounded too fabricated and I tried too hard. Although if the Cambridge SAQ counts as part of my application it would have been higher UMS scores, I would have liked to have done slightly better than I did after comparing myself to other TSR members :P
Original post by Tateco

You?

I am probably going to go into accountancy as I don't fancy the long hours of banking jobs!
Yes the ACA is very good but I can't help thinking that I could become an accountant without actually doing a degree and all this debt will be unnecessary.
But I suppose a degree in economics will make me very flexible in the future.
Reply 1114
I am probably going to go into accountancy as I don't fancy the long hours of banking jobs!
Yes the ACA is very good but I can't help thinking that I could become an accountant without actually doing a degree and all this debt will be unnecessary.
But I suppose a degree in economics will make me very flexible in the future.

It is difficult to think about it when you see amazing schemes like the KPMG school leavers scheme...

That's like deciding to be a vet instead of a doctor because you don't have to be on call as often, it isn't really a valid reason as they are fundamentally different jobs.

And if that's your reasoning for choosing accountancy over other careers at this point then you would definitely be better doing an economics degree because you will be much more versatile in the future as you obviously aren't sure about what you will do in the future.
This thread makes me feel old - I was an Economics applicant in the UCAS 2008 cycle. :eek:
Reply 1117
Is there a list of Cambridge colleges which definately require further maths? Ive been on all the websites and practically all of them say it is 'preferred' or 'highly desirable', but do you know of any for which you must have further maths, or you wont even get an interview?
Reply 1118
Original post by somaiyar
Is there a list of Cambridge colleges which definately require further maths? Ive been on all the websites and practically all of them say it is 'preferred' or 'highly desirable', but do you know of any for which you must have further maths, or you wont even get an interview?

Hi somaiyar,

As far as I'm aware no college explicitly states that successful candidates must have an A-level in Further Maths since taking the A-level might not be a feasible option for some students. However if you are able to take Further Maths and you have not done, common sense would dictate that you not apply to a college which states the A-level is 'highly desirable'.

Best,

Johan
Reply 1119
Original post by somaiyar

No colleges have it as a requirement, but can you tell me which colleges say it is "highly desirable"? please :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending