Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somaiyar)
    Yes, have you recieved the full programme? Because it says on the website "Full details of all the sessions, including timings and locations, can be found in the open day programme, which will be sent to those who have booked for the event. "But I havent got the specific one yet and ive got the confirmation email
    I'm not sure. I have booked specific college open day, not the general one so I cannot comment on that. I got a confirmation email from Selwyn College which has a timetable but it says on arrival there will be a more detailed info sheet. I'm guessing this is the same for most colleges, so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Username: -Illmatic-
    Predicted AS grades (and subjects): AAABC in Economics German Maths, F. Maths and Physics respectively
    Subjects for A2: Maths, F.M, German and Econ
    Universities likely to apply to: Bristol, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and two others...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Username: -Illmatic-
    Predicted AS grades (and subjects): AAABC in Economics German Maths, F. Maths and Physics respectively
    Subjects for A2: Maths, F.M, German and Econ
    Universities likely to apply to: Bristol, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and two others...
    I'm also dropping Physics, leaving the same subjects for A2 as you!

Have a look at the Economics with German at Birmingham, it looks quite good (using it as my backup).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    I'm also dropping Physics, leaving the same subjects for A2 as you!

Have a look at the Economics with German at Birmingham, it looks quite good (using it as my backup).

I was thinking of BHam as one of my potential uni choices but im still unsure I was thinking along the lines of:

A*AA
    A*AA
    AAA
    AAB
    ABB

Now that you're here you can give me some advice xD would it be advisable to apply for 3 Econ/German courses and 2 straight Econ courses with unis who do the Erasmus programme...and will the other 2 unis look down upon my language paragraph on my PS xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    I was thinking of BHam as one of my potential uni choices but im still unsure I was thinking along the lines of:

A*AA
    A*AA
    AAA
    AAB
    ABB

Now that you're here you can give me some advice xD would it be advisable to apply for 3 Econ/German courses and 2 straight Econ courses with unis who do the Erasmus programme...and will the other 2 unis look down upon my language paragraph on my PS xD
    It's something I'm not totally sure about. I'm applying for courses which have a year abroad available and include the opportunity for language modules so I'm just going to write a short paragraph regarding that. If you're applying for major/minor courses, you don't really need to make a huge reference to the language component, a small one would suffice I believe.

ReputationRep:
    Started my PS not long ago.. Can't really put my finger on it, but something's a bit odd about it.. Think I'll probably complete it first before giving it to a teacher
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Started my PS not long ago.. Can't really put my finger on it, but something's a bit odd about it.. Think I'll probably complete it first before giving it to a teacher
    Good that you've got started, I found starting it off was definitely the hardest bit

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Cambridge open day today. Our school had us booked in with Churchill College. It wasn't a bad place, I'm not too fussed about which college to go to but I definitely wouldn't mind going there. I also saw Magdelene (sp?) and Pembroke. Both look more like the classical Cambridge college unlike Churchill which is newer. They felt a bit cramped to me though.

I also had lunch with a Fellow called Tiago (see what I did there?), we were supposed to have a Q and A session with the director of studies but he wasn't available, so we got a session with Dr Tiago Cavalcanti (googled that) who is a lecturer/supervisor/interview. I managed to ask him a couple of questions during the session and during lunch (heh, I got to sit next to him). I mainly asked about the course structure but also about FM. He stressed it wasn't required (I guess that's University policy since not everyone can do it), but did say it was highly recommeded and that were was a distinct correlation between performance doing the degree and having done well in FM. So, it's looked upon beneficially. The rest were pretty standard answers, work experience isn't really looked at and nor are extra-curriculars. The academic profile is one of the major factors. He mentioned how a person a very strong acadmic profile may do poorly in the interview and still have a decent chance of getting whilst someone with a poor academic profile (relatively) will need to be exceptional in the interview. After that he something about having mentioned too much lol. Also, about the interview, he said that it'll be 40% discussing current events and Economics in general and 60% problem solving after being given a scenario and working through it.

I hope this helps. Tiago was a nice enough fellow though.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by zxh800)
    I went to the Cambridge open day today. Our school had us booked in with Churchill College. It wasn't a bad place, I'm not too fussed about which college to go to but I definitely wouldn't mind going there. I also saw Magdelene (sp?) and Pembroke. Both look more like the classical Cambridge college unlike Churchill which is newer. They felt a bit cramped to me though.
    Churchill is quite a nice college but a bit far out from the centre of town.

I also had lunch with a Fellow called Tiago (see what I did there?), we were supposed to have a Q and A session with the director of studies but he wasn't available, so we got a session with Dr Tiago Cavalcanti (googled that) who is a lecturer/supervisor/interview. I managed to ask him a couple of questions during the session and during lunch (heh, I got to sit next to him). I mainly asked about the course structure but also about FM. He stressed it wasn't required (I guess that's University policy since not everyone can do it), but did say it was highly recommeded and that were was a distinct correlation between performance doing the degree and having done well in FM. So, it's looked upon beneficially. The rest were pretty standard answers, work experience isn't really looked at and nor are extra-curriculars. The academic profile is one of the major factors. He mentioned how a person a very strong acadmic profile may do poorly in the interview and still have a decent chance of getting whilst someone with a poor academic profile (relatively) will need to be exceptional in the interview. After that he something about having mentioned too much lol. Also, about the interview, he said that it'll be 40% discussing current events and Economics in general and 60% problem solving after being given a scenario and working through it.

Dr Cavalcanti was one of my macro supervisors last (this?) year, and he is very nice, as well as being a great lecturer and supervisor. :yep: Be aware that the interview content mentioned will be specific to Churchill - every college does things differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Good that you've got started, I found starting it off was definitely the hardest bit
    True, making it sound the way I want it to may be much more difficult
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

That's interesting thanks.

I visited Emma, Catz, St. John's, Peterhouse, Pembroke, Christ's and Queens'. I really liked Emma, Christ's and Pembroke. They had the old-fashioned feel but they weren't intimidating like some of the others. (St. John's in particular I found to be absolutely huge and quite overwhelming). Going to be so hard to choose. I also spoke to an economics professor and he said while having further maths is useful it shouldn't affect your chances of application if you have shown a strong success rate ins standard maths, it's more of a preparation thing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. :/ I think all colleges are going to say it's preferred, it's just going to be a case of finding out 'to what
    My sister went to trinity and her friend read econ after a levels of maths econ physics an I think Chem (definitely not fm) hope that helps
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    My sister went to trinity and her friend read econ after a levels of maths econ physics an I think Chem (definitely not fm) hope that helps
    Thanks I didn't get a chance to visit Trinity, maybe I should have!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I didn't get a chance to visit Trinity, maybe I should have!
    You should! It's a really rich college and great academically, her room on 3rd year was HUGE; kithcjen, living area, toilet and then bedroom off the room
    ^^not trying to sell it

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I found out that Heidelberg University and Cambridge University run an exchange (10 months) for either an undergraduate or graduate student to take part on. It's for any subject but it appears there's only place for each college taking part (which is only St Catherines or St Johns, so 2 spaces). Reckon I should go for it?

Website about exchange (sorry, it's in German ) http://www.cambridge.uni-hd.de/

(Original post by St John's College)
    The exchange scheme between St John's College and Heidelberg University in Heidelberg, Germany allows an undergraduate or research student nominated by St John's College to spend ten months at the University of Heidelberg. There is no restriction as to subject provided the subject is offered at Heidelberg University.
    At Catherine's, it appears it's only available for postgrads, so I would have to apply for St John's (which I was thinking about applying to anyway). Maybe I should email them to see how competitive it is or how likely it is an undergraduate would go on the exchange.

Also, found out about Kurt Hahn Scholarship which sponsors a student to do Postgraduate Study in Germany for a year after graduation from Cambridge in any subject.

Also, another schemes sponsors a summer in Germany on a language course.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I found out that Heidelberg University and Cambridge University run an exchange (10 months) for either an undergraduate or graduate student to take part on. It's for any subject but it appears there's only place for each college taking part (which is only St Catherines or St Johns, so 2 spaces). Reckon I should go for it?

At Catherine's, it appears it's only available for postgrads, so I would have to apply for St John's (which I was thinking about applying to anyway). Maybe I should email them to see how competitive it is or how likely it is an undergraduate would go on the exchange.
    Well, as a German I can tell you Heidelberg is beautiful and the university is amazing, too. So if you have the chance to do that, go for it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    So if you have the chance to do that, go for it!!!
    That's the point though, the 'chance' (with just one space at the college for both undergraduates and graduates) is very unlikely...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Also, found out about Kurt Hahn Scholarship which sponsors a student to do Postgraduate Study in Germany for a year after graduation from Cambridge in any subject.

Also, another schemes sponsors a summer in Germany on a language course.
    But what if you got to Cambridge and then didn't get on the exchange course? I imagine it is VERY competitive if there is only 4 places in total. I'd definitely find out more.

Also, I didn't actually like St. John's as a college. I know people have different preferences but I just thought it was way to big and intimidating, and with its massive size came the worst accommodation out of all the colleges I looked at...

ReputationRep:
    But what if you got to Cambridge and then didn't get on the exchange course? I imagine it is VERY competitive if there is only 4 places in total. I'd definitely find out more.

Also, I didn't actually like St. John's as a college. I know people have different preferences but I just thought it was way to big and intimidating, and with its massive size came the worst accommodation out of all the colleges I looked at...
    Yes, I know, I'd be probably not be very happy if I couldn't go on it. Also, it's one space at each college so only two spaces! :cry2:

Well, I like the fact I'd get to sit the TSA for John's and I love that bridge!

I'm going to email them to see if undergraduates ever get to go on the exchange.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, I know, I'd be probably not be very happy if I couldn't go on it. Also, it's one space at each college so only two spaces! :cry2:

Well, I like the fact I'd get to sit the TSA for John's and I love that bridge!

I'm going to email them to see if undergraduates ever get to go on the exchange.
    Sounds like a good plan! Just don't take the risk if you wouldn't be happy if you didn't get on

EDIT: Suppose it doesn't hurt to apply, though?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.