Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by economyst)
    economyst
    Achieved AS grades (and subjects): AAAA (maths,physics,chemistry,economi cs)
    Achieved Subjects for A2: A*A*A*A* (maths,physics,chemistry,economi cs)
    Universities likely to apply to: Cambridge, LSE, Bath, York, ??? (any suggestions ?)
    Extras: am doing Further maths A2 in gap year.
    What UMS percentages did you get (just thinking of Cambridge)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    What UMS percentages did you get (just thinking of Cambridge)?
    edited into my first post, going in order e.g c1 to c4 for maths unit 1 to unit 4 for econ....
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    edited into my first post, going in order e.g c1 to c4 for maths unit 1 to unit 4 for econ....
    Those results are awesome, I would definitely go for it. You have the benefit of having gotten your A-Levels as well so I'd say you have a good chance if the PS and interview go well. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Those results are awesome, I would definitely go for it. You have the benefit of having gotten your A-Levels as well so I'd say you have a good chance if the PS and interview go well. :love:
    you really think with those UMS I should apply to LSE/Cambridge ?

also, where do you think my last choice should be ? I ain't doing warwick or UCL as my GCSE's are only 3A* 5A 2C.

I was thinking maths and econ and warwcik, but its tough as hell to get in as they have a step requirement and I would prefer straight econ, but I want to go some where good.

ReputationRep:
    just got mine, hope my B in critical thinking won't affect my application to Cambridge

Crit - 156/200 B
    Economics 189/200 A
    History 190/200 A
    Maths 300/300 A
    Physics 260/300 A

Hope everyone got what they wanted !

ReputationRep:
    ZxH800

AS grades (and subjects): AAA: Critical Thinking, Economics and Maths.
    Subjects for A2: Economics, Further Maths, Maths (A* achieved), History
    Universities likely to apply to: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and fifth choice is up for grabs.

More details in About Me section.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    you really think with those UMS I should apply to LSE/Cambridge ?

also, where do you think my last choice should be ? I ain't doing warwick or UCL as my GCSE's are only 3A* 5A 2C.

I was thinking maths and econ and warwcik, but its tough as hell to get in as they have a step requirement and I would prefer straight econ, but I want to go some where good.
    Yeah, for sure!

Don't be put off Warwick and UCL because of GCSEs. UCL are requiring UMS for Economics this year, so that'll benefit you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinchenzo25)
    just got mine, hope my B in critical thinking won't affect my application to Cambridge

Crit - 156/200 B
    Economics 189/200 A
    History 190/200 A
    Maths 300/300 A
    Physics 260/300 A

Hope everyone got what they wanted !
    well done, the average of your best three As levels comes to 96.5% which I think is above the average of cambridge economics applicants and roughly around the average of offer holders.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Groat)
    Yeah, for sure!

Don't be put off Warwick and UCL because of GCSEs. UCL are requiring UMS for Economics this year, so that'll benefit you.
    This. With those UMS I'd be shocked if you didn't get an interview at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    well done, the average of your best three As levels comes to 96.5% which I think is above the average of cambridge economics applicants and roughly around the average of offer holders.

cheers ! they won't be to fussed about the B in critical thinking will they ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Yeah, for sure!

yea but UCL ad Warwick have already rejected me this year. And the fact UCL will see my UMS isnt great, If you include my A2, then my average comes to like 93% over the best 3 A levels, Which is about average, not extraordinary I would say.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    yea but UCL ad Warwick have already rejected me this year. And the fact UCL will see my UMS isnt great, If you include my A2, then my average comes to like 93% over the best 3 A levels, Which is about average, not extraordinary I would say.
    But they aren't going to exclude A2. Be confident in your ability and you're amazing grades! :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    x
    I wonder where Tateco is. I bet he's out partying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinchenzo25)
    cheers ! they won't be to fussed about the B in critical thinking will they ?
    You will get an interview from cambridge (should do at least), I did with AS similar to yours.

The B however shows that you attempted critical thinking and didn't do too well, to be honest I think It would be better to not do it at all than to do it and get a B.

But thats just cambridge, apply to other sensible places and you should get an offer with those UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    This. With those UMS I'd be shocked if you didn't get an interview at Cambridge.
    Do you have a look at peoples Personal statements, if so, will you have a look at mine ?
    I have already been rejected and am applying again with 4A* at A2 and would like to get in cam/lse.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by zxh800)
    I wonder where Tateco is. I bet he's out partying.
    The Inbetweeners Movie, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    You will get an interview from cambridge (should do at least), I did with AS similar to yours.

The B however shows that you attempted critical thinking and didn't do too well, to be honest I think It would be better to not do it at all than to do it and get a B.

But thats just cambridge, apply to other sensible places and you should get an offer with those UMS.

I hope so ! I was so annoyed with critical thinking, only 4 UMS off ! cheers for the advice
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Do you have a look at peoples Personal statements, if so, will you have a look at mine ?
    I have already been rejected and am applying again with 4A* at A2 and would like to get in cam/lse.
    I'm a PS Helper on the site, so if you submit your PS in the PS Help forum I'm one of the people who could have a look at it. There are quite a few active Economics PS Helpers at the moment so there's no guarantee that I'll be the one who reviews your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I'm a PS Helper on the site, so if you submit your PS in the PS Help forum I'm one of the people who could have a look at it. There are quite a few active Economics PS Helpers at the moment so there's no guarantee that I'll be the one who reviews your PS.
    okay thanks, Ile be posting it within 2 days, If you could try and have a look out for it I would be incredibly grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Got 4 As

Maths - 94% average
    Economics 81% average
    Chemistry 90% average
    Physics - 83% average

Dropping Chemistry and doing AS FM next year

Gonna get Economics remarked though, I thought OCR macro went better, maybe the UMS might affect Cambridge application?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.