Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    You have good subjects. I personally think you would have more of a chance at Oxford or LSE than Cambridge, as they look at UMS scores and successful applicants frequently have more than 90% average across their subjects.

Other than that I think you have a realistic chance anywhere, if your GCSEs are good then apply wherever you fancy! Try get an A* prediction in Maths, though.
    Thanks for the response, advice right now is really appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrational)
    I would agree with tateco when it comes to advice, Just note that LSE does ask for your UMS like Cambridge, so oxford is probably your best option from those 3. However, I am not saying don't apply to LSE, but bear in mind you will be competing with people who will have average UMS of 90%+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrational)
    I would give LSE a try unless this takes the spot away for some insurance uni. Oxford is Economics AND Management. So if you want to apply for E&M you will have to study Management as well. Also E&M is even more competitive than Econ at Cambridge. The acceptance rate is 7.6%. So if you want to apply to Cambridge, then do it, if you want to apply to Oxford, then do it. Some people forget that grades are only one part of the application for Oxbridge. If you do great on the TSA and interview, Cambridge will still consider you. Also Cambridge invites 90% and Oxford only 30%, which means that with your grades (because they are still VERY good) you can be sure to get an interview at Cambridge. But you can't be sure if Oxford invites you (not because of your grades but in general).

So yea, apply to the one you prefer; at both you stand a reasonable chance!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by zxh800)
    I wonder where Tateco is. I bet he's out partying.
    Well done on your results mate! A* in Maths! :eek: Which college at Cambridge you applying too?

(Original post by Groat)
    The Inbetweeners Movie, I believe.
    It was both actually

ReputationRep:
    x
    How did you get on mate? I aint seen you since before results

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your results mate! A* in Maths! :eek: Which college at Cambridge you applying too?
    Probably Churchill. Congrats on your amazing results! 97% average phwoar. I have my regrets but I can't complain I have a decent set of results to work with.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheSquareMile)
    How did you get on mate? I aint seen you since before results
    Results for each subject is in my profile but I got all As, 97% average in top 3 and 95% average overall Very pleased. Are you already at Cambridge or have you just found out you got in?

Probably Churchill. Congrats on your amazing results! 97% average phwoar. I have my regrets but I can't complain I have a decent set of results to work with.
    Thanks You have a brilliant set! And the A* in Maths is amazing, means you can concentrate on your other subjects, very jealous of that!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by economyst)
    I would agree with tateco when it comes to advice, Just note that LSE does ask for your UMS like Cambridge, so oxford is probably your best option from those 3. However, I am not saying don't apply to LSE, but bear in mind you will be competing with people who will have average UMS of 90%+.
    Who said they ask for UMS? (I'm not disagreeing, just want to know because it will affect whether or not I apply!)

ReputationRep:
    Results for each subject is in my profile but I got all As, 97% average in top 3 and 95% average overall Very pleased. Are you already at Cambridge or have you just found out you got in?

Thanks You have a brilliant set! And the A* in Maths is amazing, means you can concentrate on your other subjects, very jealous of that!
    Oh are you AS? Yer i got into Cam all A*

and well done on your results they super
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh are you AS? Yer i got into Cam all A*

and well done on your results they super
    Yep Can't be a bad thing to give off the vibes of an A2 student

Congratulations! :eek: What college? You must be so happy!

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Yep Can't be a bad thing to give off the vibes of an A2 student

Congratulations! :eek: What college? You must be so happy!

Thank you
    Oh right, Yep trinity College, so all is good!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, Yep trinity College, so all is good!
    How were your AS scores like if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    How were your AS scores like if you don't mind me asking?
    94.6% average across the 4

ReputationRep:
    94.6% average across the 4
    Wow, that's awesome. What were your subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's awesome. What were your subjects?
    Econ, maths, FM, physics
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Econ, maths, FM, physics
    Hope not having FM doesn't hold me back The college I'm applying to said they don't have any preference over it which is a good news for me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by economyst)
    you really think with those UMS I should apply to LSE/Cambridge ?

also, where do you think my last choice should be ? I ain't doing warwick or UCL as my GCSE's are only 3A* 5A 2C.

I was thinking maths and econ and warwcik, but its tough as hell to get in as they have a step requirement and I would prefer straight econ, but I want to go some where good.
    Warwick are adamant they don't have a GCSE requirement

ReputationRep:
    Hope not having FM doesn't hold me back The college I'm applying to said they don't have any preference over it which is a good news for me
    I have a friend that is applying for Cambridge economics as well and he talked to a Cambridge Admission's tutor. The tutor told him also that FM is not a preferred subject. High UMS marks in A Level Maths show that you would be capable doing FM also. They rather want to see a wide range of subjects. Some colleges have their own policies but most colleges don't prefer students with FM. I think it is also a kind of hype going on in this forum that you really NEED Further Maths for Econ in order to stay competitive. Except LSE and a few Cambridge colleges no university prefers FM to other academic subjects. It is always great to have because it'll help you with the maths at university but with a few exceptions it will not help you gaining a place at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if any one has a list of colleges that prefer FM. For me, I am taking it to A2 and I took it so I could have the what now seems mythical advantage. So, I'll feel a little cheated if there wasn't any benefit in taking FM .

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if any one has a list of colleges that prefer FM. For me, I am taking it to A2 and I took it so I could have the what now seems mythical advantage. So, I'll feel a little cheated if there wasn't any benefit in taking FM .
    I only know of Trinity college. But you're right, it would be really interesting to know what colleges prefer FM. Maybe we should email all of them

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.