Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    I wonder if any one has a list of colleges that prefer FM. For me, I am taking it to A2 and I took it so I could have the what now seems mythical advantage. So, I'll feel a little cheated if there wasn't any benefit in taking FM .
    Cambridge
    Bristol
    Warwick (more so as a fourth A level)

Having further maths will always strengthen your application but more so at these universities I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    Cambridge
    Bristol

Having further maths will always strengthen your application but more so at these universities I'd say.
    I think he meant which colleges at Cambridge preferred it not which uni's.

Tateco which college are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Bristol

What about UCL? and LSE? I remember LSE having something on their site abou it last year.

ReputationRep:
    What about UCL? and LSE? I remember LSE having something on their site abou it last year.
    LSE definetely yes. They are famous for preferring FM. UCL does not. It was also stated by some person here in this thread who talked to an admissions tutor at UCL.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cambridge
    Bristol

Warwick admissions tutors have confirmed it's not a preferred A-level, as have several Cambridge colleges.

I've emailed UCL so I will find out, LSE definitely prefer it but it's the only one I know for sure.

I might have considered doing biology to A2 but I did no work for it for the start of A2 or over the summer, don't think I'll do it because I don't like it enough, rather focus on my other subjects to try and get A*AA
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    I think he meant which colleges at Cambridge preferred it not which uni's.

Tateco which college are you applying to?
    Emma I think, so is Groat, think it's going to be very competitive...

ReputationRep:
    How competitive are Birmingham, St Andrews, Exeter and York for straight economics?

My AS grades were AAA (Maths, Law, Economics) and C (History)

My GCSE's were A*AAABBBB

Are there any other universities you guys could recommend with my sort of grades? Cheers!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Antonton)
    How competitive are Birmingham, St Andrews, Exeter and York for straight economics?

My AS grades were AAA (Maths, Law, Economics) and C (History)

My GCSE's were A*AAABBBB

Are there any other universities you guys could recommend with my sort of grades? Cheers!
    I think you could make a competitive application for all of those places, Exeter gives out a lot of A*AA offers though

Manchester, Southampton are another two very good universities in a similar league

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I think you could make a competitive application for all of those places, Exeter gives out a lot of A*AA offers though

Manchester, Southampton are another two very good universities in a similar league
    How about Bath? Is that really competitive?

Cheers for your advice .

I averaged 90ish in Economics, I think I could push for that...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How about Bath? Is that really competitive?

Cheers for your advice .

I averaged 90ish in Economics, I think I could push for that...
    Bath is quite competitive, it would be your most competitive choice, but probably worth it. I'm definitely applying for it the course looks really good

Yeah definitely, talk to your teacher and try and get the A*

ReputationRep:
    Emma I think, so is Groat, think it's going to be very competitive...
    Yeah it will be. Would really help if Oxford did straight Economics :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Who said they ask for UMS? (I'm not disagreeing, just want to know because it will affect whether or not I apply!)
    Ask any1 who has previously applied, I applied past year and they sent my another application asking for UMS

ReputationRep:
    Bath is quite competitive, it would be your most competitive choice, but probably worth it. I'm definitely applying for it the course looks really good

Yeah definitely, talk to your teacher and try and get the A*
    Cheers . What are there views on weaker GCSE grades?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheSquareMile)
    Econ, maths, FM, physics
    Good choice, I did those four as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cambridge Econ Fresher now :dance:

Here to help should anyone require it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cheers . What are there views on weaker GCSE grades?
    I don't know much about Bath and GCSE grades, from the applicants last year they seem to like straight As at AS (even if you have done five subjects) and that's all I know really!

(Original post by economyst)
    Ask any1 who has previously applied, I applied past year and they sent my another application asking for UMS
    Oooh, that's interesting thanks

Yeah it will be. Would really help if Oxford did straight Economics :rolleyes:
    I think I'd still go for Cambridge Which college you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd still go for Cambridge Which college you thinking of?
    I would too but perhaps it would lessen competition. I'm applying for Christ's Come to think of it I should check their preference for FM unless any of you know?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would too but perhaps it would lessen competition. I'm applying for Christ's Come to think of it I should check their preference for FM unless any of you know?
    I do as it happens It was on my final short list (of two colleges)

"The most important factor for all applicants for Economics is to have achieved as high a level of mathematical ability as possible. So taking AS Further Maths would indeed be helpful for your own benefit."

I asked if FM AS would improve my application. Not sure whether that means it would help me when applying or if it just means it would be good preparation...

ReputationRep:
    AS Grades > AAA - Maths, Economics, ICT D-Technology
    GCSE's A*AAAAABBBB

With these grades which Unis should I be aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    I do as it happens It was on my final short list (of two colleges)

"The most important factor for all applicants for Economics is to have achieved as high a level of mathematical ability as possible. So taking AS Further Maths would indeed be helpful for your own benefit."

I asked if FM AS would improve my application. Not sure whether that means it would help me when applying or if it just means it would be good preparation...
    Ahh thanks, seems they're saying it's useful for you but I do see the implication that it would help an application. I'm doing the A level FM so I think it may help.

(Original post by dsinghdahiya257)
    AS Grades > AAA - Maths, Economics, ICT D-Technology
    GCSE's A*AAAAABBBB

With these grades which Unis should I be aiming for?
    I'd imagine with that you'd be looking at Exeter/ York/ Nottingham calibre of uni. What do you imagine you'll have at A level?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.