Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    When I emailed UCL, the response was quite specific that the Economics Department are requesting UMS, not the university admissions itself. As a result, I would speculate it's just Economics (and the related courses).
    Any idea what UMS they're looking for? I find it a bit strange since if they ask for 90+ then those are the candidate who are likely to go Cambridge or perhaps LSE. Asking for anything lower is just asking for an A? :confused:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Btw, how busy are the PS forums around about now?
    Not that busy, but the most busy it's been since the start of the cycle.

(Original post by zxh800)
    [/B]Adding on to this, if they don't get busy around now when do they get busy?
    Very soon, September and October are extremely busy.

ReputationRep:
    I can most surely confirm LSE do ask for UMS as I applied this cycle.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Oxford are finally asking for UMS? News to me.
    I don't think they are. Economics and Management remains an AAA offer, anyway.

My teachers liked my PS, by the way. Thank you!

(Original post by Psychotic546)
    Any idea what UMS they're looking for? I find it a bit strange since if they ask for 90+ then those are the candidate who are likely to go Cambridge or perhaps LSE. Asking for anything lower is just asking for an A? :confused:
    There are no 'cut off' marks for UMS marks but, due to the very high number of applications we receive for the Economics courses, the Admissions Tutor is looking for applicants who have performed at a consistently high level throughout all of their exams.
    Does that answer your question?

(Original post by economyst)
    I can most surely confirm LSE do ask for UMS as I applied this cycle.
    Hm, they told me they weren't. I sent another email though to confirm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)

Does that answer your question?
    Not really but I understand that's all they're willing to say. I guess they're just saying they use it as selection criteria which is understandable. Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Groat)
    I don't think they are. Economics and Management remains an AAA offer, anyway.
    Economics at Cambridge used to be an AAA offer after asking for UMS.

(Original post by Groat)
    My teachers liked my PS, by the way. Thank you!
    You're welcome.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Not really but I understand that's all they're willing to say. I guess they're just saying they use it as selection criteria which is understandable. Thanks
    The higher the better, I guess!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Economics at Cambridge used to be an AAA offer after asking for UMS.

You're welcome.
    How crucial is essay writing at Cambridge compared to other universities? I'm hoping I have something different to offer with a strong English Literature result and reference.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Groat)
    How crucial is essay writing at Cambridge compared to other universities? I'm hoping I have something different to offer with a strong English Literature result and reference.
    For first year it's vital (2 out of 5 papers are pure essay-writing, and Micro and Macro have compulsory essays) so that should work in your favour. However the style of writing will be nothing like A-levels, and especially not like English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out my school hasnt/wont be certifying our AS grades..does this mean I wont have to declare them :confused:

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Thanks.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    For first year it's vital (2 out of 5 papers are pure essay-writing, and Micro and Macro have compulsory essays) so that should work in your favour. However the style of writing will be nothing like A-levels, and especially not like English Literature.
    I didn't expect the essays to be similar, but I'm sure the groundwork English Literature offers is a good basis. That sounds good enough for me!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Just found out my school hasnt/wont be certifying our AS grades..does this mean I wont have to declare them :confused:

Can anyone please shed some light on this? Thanks.
    Yeah, you can leave them as pending if you want, as far as I am aware. But, ensure your reference notes the school's policy about certification - as the majority of state students will certificate this year, your application may look slightly out of place unless it's mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Yeah, you can leave them as pending if you want, as far as I am aware. But, ensure your reference notes the school's policy about certification - as the majority of state students will certificate this year, your application may look slightly out of place unless it's mentioned.
    So in other words, I'll be at a disadvantage... :confused:
    What if I declare the units that I excelled in and leave the others as pending....
    Thanks, anyway!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    What if I declare the units that I excelled in and leave the others as pending....
    Thanks, anyway!
    I think declaring some units is the worst decision. Either declare them all or leave them all pending, else it's obvious you are hiding something. You won't be at a disadvantage as long as your reference mentions its not the school policy to certificate. That's just speculation, before this year the majority of people wouldn't certificate so it shouldn't disadvantage you at all, I guess.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks, anyway!
    You can kind of do that by getting your reference to mention your particularly good units and/or subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    I think declaring some units is the worst decision. Either declare them all or leave them all pending, else it's obvious you are hiding something. You won't be at a disadvantage as long as your reference mentions its not the school policy to certificate. That's just speculation, before this year the majority of people wouldn't certificate so it shouldn't disadvantage you at all, I guess.

Providing i have good predictions, reference, PS blah blah blah, right?

Thanks for the insight anyway and good luck for this year!

ReputationRep:
    You can kind of do that by getting your reference to mention your particularly good units and/or subjects.

Ah understood, thanks :cool:

EDIT: But would it not seem slightly lame saying 'X has brilliant mathematical ability demonstrated by getting 94 UMS in C1' and not saying anything about C2 or M1 :laugh:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Providing i have good predictions, reference, PS blah blah blah, right?

Thanks for the insight anyway and good luck for this year!
    Yeah, you should be in a good position with all of the above.

Good luck to yourself, too! I think we'll all have a very interesting time together on this thread! :crazy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Yeah, you should be in a good position with all of the above.

Good luck to yourself, too! I think we'll all have a very interesting time together on this thread! :crazy:
    Yeah its going quite well but surprisingly there's not many active members on his thread

come forward people :laugh:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Ah understood, thanks :cool:

EDIT: But would it not seem slightly lame saying 'X has brilliant mathematical ability demonstrated by getting 94 UMS in C1' and not saying anything about C2 or M1 :laugh:
    Mathematical ability isn't always reflected in UMS - I'm probably going to get a strong reference from my Maths teacher, yet I didn't do as well in M1. It may be better in your case to ask your teacher to be enthusiastic about you without mentioning the UMS? I'm not sure, though.

I'm not sure how my reference will go, actually - as Cambridge have the SAQ I don't know what my reference will do about UMS referencing.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.