The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Original post by nightmare91
Oh I heard about Bath! My sister went there for a language course, she loved it! I didn't know that they have a good economics course though. But thanks! I'll definetely consider it! Then except for Cambridge our choices would be exactly the same :biggrin:

Economics is very good at Bath :smile:

Original post by expopyro
i heard UCL are quite hard on gcses aswell, my friend got into cambridge for economics but got rejected from LSE,bristol, and UCL based on gcses ( he got 6A*s)

Suppose that's just a single case, but yeah it would make sense not applying to LSE because then I'd only have UCL as the GCSE 'nazi' :L
Do they tell you why you were rejected?
Reply 1942
Original post by perrytheplatypus

If you ask nicely, they should get back to you eventually. However, I have heard countless stories of Warwick, Durham, UCL, LSE, etc just giving the reason: Your academic background isn't strong enough. Even to people with perfect grades - it seems to be a cop out reason to me!

I hear Oxford and Cambridge give good feedback.

You can usually request feedback :smile:

Yeah you can opt for feedback but often its very generic...
Original post by Groat
If you ask nicely, they should get back to you eventually. However, I have heard countless stories of Warwick, Durham, UCL, LSE, etc just giving the reason: Your academic background isn't strong enough. Even to people with perfect grades - it seems to be a cop out reason to me!

I hear Oxford and Cambridge give good feedback.

I think that is also because they sometimes just don't have real reasons to reject students. Oxbridge have the interview and the admission tests. The others just reference, PS and grades. Many applicants that apply have similar grades etc. so they sometimes probably just reject people because they have too many applicants with similar qualifications... and they have to make a decision. I think I would only request feedback from Oxbridge. The feedback that a friend got who applied to Oxford last year wasn't that clear though. They basically said that the performance at the interview wasn't as good at others. But I suppose it depends on the college as well.
Well, I guess I can use generic feedback to decide where not to apply next year :tongue:

If it's generic, they probably really don't want me >_>
Well, I guess I can use generic feedback to decide where not to apply next year :tongue:

If it's generic, they probably really don't want me >_>

It's cos they get so many people asking for it, its too difficult to tailor the feedback for every student- am I right btw, I'm just guessing :tongue:
Reply 1948
Original post by -Illmatic-
It's cos they get so many people asking for it, its too difficult to tailor the feedback for every student- am I right btw, I'm just guessing :tongue:

Yeah. Universities such as Oxford and Cambridge will have interview notes, but other universities don't really have that much ground to go on. It's unlikely you'll be able to email the exact admissions tutor who looked at your application.
Original post by -Illmatic-

Which is why I'm guessing they'd only tailor for the very best applicants. I'm doing guesswork here as well >_>
Reply 1950
Hey guys, just wondering, will doing different modules other than Statistics in Maths affect my application? In AS I did S1, however next year I will be doing Decision maths.

Surely whichever module I will do best in I should go for right?

Thanks
Original post by Antonton
Hey guys, just wondering, will doing different modules other than Statistics in Maths affect my application? In AS I did S1, however next year I will be doing Decision maths.

Thanks

I only did S1 and S2 since my Further Maths class was full of wannabe physicists, it didn't (adversely) affect my application.

Thanks

You come across as only doing maths and not further. If so I don't really the problem with only one statistic module - you've only got space for two applied. Also, if d1 is with your school, it should affect you even less :smile:
Reply 1953

Thanks

If your school is like mine you don't get a choice in what you take, so it shouldn't be an issue at all.
Reply 1954
Original post by Tateco
If your school is like mine you don't get a choice in what you take, so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

You come across as only doing maths and not further. If so I don't really the problem with only one statistic module - you've only got space for two applied. Also, if d1 is with your school, it should affect you even less :smile:

I opted for Decision, as the Statistics department in my college is terrible; will that be an issue?

I've emailed York and they said whatever gets me the higher grade counts, however I'm unsure of other universities views on it.
(edited 12 years ago)
I opted for Decision, as the Statistics department in my college is terrible; will that be an issue?

I've emailed York and they said whatever gets me the higher grade counts, however I'm unsure of other universities views on it.

Nobody cares what module of maths you take in Maths or FM. As long as you achieve high grades. Saying that Statistical modules will help you more at Uni if you take up Economics.

hmm...that's a little tricky. I can't help but feel some other admission tutors may feel you opted for the easy route; from experience decision is terribly easy, though my school does it so I'm not in your situation.

BUT you could play it to your advantage by having your techer explain the state of your school's statistic department, and go on to say how your decision to learn decision yourself shows you are capable of independent learning >_>
Reply 1957
hmm...that's a little tricky. I can't help but feel some other admission tutors may feel you opted for the easy route; from experience decision is terribly easy, though my school does it so I'm not in your situation.

BUT you could play it to your advantage by having your techer explain the state of your school's statistic department, and go on to say how your decision to learn decision yourself shows you are capable of independent learning >_>

I see, the state of some of the statistics teachers was just too much for me; my teacher just handed out power point presentations as notes and didn't really teach, and if I had opted for S2 I pretty much would have been guaranteed a terrible Maths teacher, as they would teach parts of Core maths as well.
Reply 1958
I see, the state of some of the statistics teachers was just too much for me; my teacher just handed out power point presentations as notes and didn't really teach, and if I had opted for S2 I pretty much would have been guaranteed a terrible Maths teacher, as they would teach parts of Core maths as well.

I really wouldn't worry, every applicant will have done different modules so it's not useful as a point of comparison
Reply 1959
Original post by Dumb Economist
Nobody cares what module of maths you take in Maths or FM. As long as you achieve high grades. Saying that Statistical modules will help you more at Uni if you take up Economics.

I'm doing FP3 when I could be doing S3. :ahee:

Latest