Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i'd be very grateful if any uni students out there could fil this out... if you don't want to disclose your answers feel free to PM me Thanks: This is the Questionnaire

I am a student studying Geography at The University of Edinburgh. As part of the first year human geography assessment, I have chosen to research the extent to which UK students perceive their country as ‘racially harmonious’ and whether the media and immigration policies influence this. I would be most grateful if you could assist me by completing this short questionnaire.

Any information or opinions you give will remain confidential and it will not be possible, when the report is written up, to identify any information you give.

Please answer all questions.

1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? (e.g., Geography)

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? (e.g., Edinburgh)

3) How would you describe your ethnicity? (e.g. White British, Asian British)

4i) By which means do you use to keep up to date with current affairs?(Please state as many as appropriate)
    a)Broadcasted News (Television or Radio)
    b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

4ii) If you checked ‘Newspapers’ please specify which you read on a regular basis: (please check as many boxes as appropriate)
    a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative)

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (1=too much being done, 5=not enough being done, 3=the right amount being done)

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? (1=extremely volatile, 5=peaceful)

8) To what extent do you believe discussions and debates on immigration in the UK to be: (please choose the view that is most similar to your own)
    a)Free and open discussions
    b)Mainly open discussions with a caution not to offend
    c)Fairly open discussions that avoid very contentious issues
    d)Partially restricted discussions
    e)Restricted discussions, debating only the least offensive issues
    f)Don’t know

9) Which do you believe is the best way for debates on immigration to be conducted? (please chose the view that is most similar to your own)
    c)Fairly open discussions that avoid contentious issues
    f)Don’t know

Thank you for you time.

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Actuarial Science

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? Strood, Kent

3) How would you describe your ethnicity? White British

4i) By which means do you use to keep up to date with current affairs?(Please state as many as appropriate)
    b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

4ii) If you checked ‘Newspapers’ please specify which you read on a regular basis: (please check as many boxes as appropriate)
    a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify: Financial Times

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? 3

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? 2

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? 4/5

8) To what extent do you believe discussions and debates on immigration in the UK to be: (please choose the view that is most similar to your own)
    f)Don’t know

9) Which do you believe is the best way for debates on immigration to be conducted? (please chose the view that is most similar to your own)
    f)Don’t know

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much sir!

Keep em coming!

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university?
    Economics BSc

Canterbury, Kent

White British

4i) By which means do you use to keep up to date with current affairs?
    b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify
    a, b & c

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative)
    3, Prehaps with slight under representation for a few groups.

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (1=too much being done, 5=not enough being done, 3=the right amount being done)

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? (1=extremely volatile, 5=peaceful)

f)Don’t know
    a

f)Don’t know
    a

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Media Studies (Radio Production)

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? London

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)The Sunday Times

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative) 4

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? 3

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? 4

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

Good Luck with your work! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:

PhD Physical Chemistry

Nottingham

White British

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers

c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent

h)The Times
    i)Local Paper

[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Psychology

Oxford

White (European)

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

In order: c, a, b

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

d, h

f)Don’t know

c

f)Don’t know

b

Hope this helps. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Kendra, retro guitar, chemistboy and kalen! All very helpful!

xx

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university?
    BSc Human Biosciences

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence?
    Plymouth

3) How would you describe your ethnicity?
    White British

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers

4ii) If you checked ‘Newspapers’ please specify which you read on a regular basis:
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media?

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life?

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live?

8) To what extent do you believe discussions and debates on immigration in the UK to be:

9) Which do you believe is the best way for debates on immigration to be conducted?

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Geography

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence?Durham
    3) How would you describe your ethnicity? British.

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers

d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative) 3

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (1=too much being done, 5=not enough being done, 3=the right amount being done) 4

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? (1=extremely volatile, 5=peaceful) 5

Isn't b flawed in that you asked for lcoation and there is often more than one Uni in the same town/city, alongside this you might not be studying where you live. Or something.

ReputationRep:
    Management

Lancaster

White British

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative) 4

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (1=too much being done, 5=not enough being done, 3=the right amount being done) 5

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? (1=extremely volatile, 5=peaceful) 5

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Isn't b flawed in that you asked for lcoation and there is often more than one Uni in the same town/city,
    I'm more interested in the place you live rather than the university you attend
    alongside this you might not be studying where you live. Or something.
    Yes, possibly.. this questionnaire was origianally made for all my home friends and I wanted to find out about the place they went to uni and how 'racially harmonious' it was.. I already knew about our area... but perhaps for asking you guys I could have got some more background info... but essentailly again I am only looking at the area in which you live and the attitudes there.

Edit.. sorry mis-read that bit... but basically i am looking at the area you live in and the mix of people and opinions there... the university or place of study is irrelavent really.

ReputationRep:
    Law

Cardiff

White British

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify
    Student Newspaper, Gair Rhydd

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Civil Engineering

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? Bristol

b)Internet News Sites

c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? 2

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (5

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? 5

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? English and Philosophy

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? Bristol

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers

e)The Independent

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? 3

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? 4

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilcathstar)
    Hi there, i'd be very grateful if any uni students out there could fil this out... if you don't want to disclose your answers feel free to PM me Thanks: This is the Questionnaire

I am a student studying Geography at The University of Edinburgh. As part of the first year human geography assessment, I have chosen to research the extent to which UK students perceive their country as ‘racially harmonious’ and whether the media and immigration policies influence this. I would be most grateful if you could assist me by completing this short questionnaire.

Any information or opinions you give will remain confidential and it will not be possible, when the report is written up, to identify any information you give.

Please answer all questions.

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

Thank you for you time.

1)BSc Economics (and politics )
    2) London
    3) Black African
    4)i News papers and Friends
    4 ii) d & i
    5) 5
    6) 5
    7) 5
    8) very free and open, i think
    9) free and open discussions

ur welcome

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Nursing

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? Salford

3) How would you describe your ethnicity? Mixed-Half Indian/Half English

a)Broadcasted News
    b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

4ii) If you checked ‘Newspapers’ please specify which you read on a regular basis:
    a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify the free one one the bus, Manchester Evening News, Bolton Evening News

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? 3

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? 4/5

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? (e.g., Geography) Medicine

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? (e.g., Edinburgh) Brighton

3) How would you describe your ethnicity? (e.g. White British, Asian British) white british

a)Broadcasted News (Television or Radio) BBC 1 (News), channel 4 (news)
    b)Internet News Sites www.bbc.co.uk/news
    c)Newspapers Inderpendent or student gardian
    d)Other, please specify I check for breaking news on the orange website through my mobile.

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian x
    e)The Independent x
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times x my boyfriend buys it so I read it occastionally but not as much as the other two
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

5) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough ethnic representation in the media? (1=too much representation, 5=not enough representation, 3= wholly representative) 3

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? (1=too much being done, 5=not enough being done, 3=the right amount being done) 4

b)Mainly open discussions with a caution not to offend x
    f)Don’t know

a)Free and open discussions x
    f)Don’t know

Hope that helped good luck with your prodject!

Rachel

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Human Genetics

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? Nottingham Uni

a)Broadcasted News (Television or Radio) Yes
    b)Internet News Sites Yes
    c)Newspapers Yes
    d)Other, please specify

a)The Daily Mail Yes
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun Yes
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper Yes
    j)Other, please specify

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? (1=extremely volatile, 5=peaceful) 4

b)Mainly open discussions with a caution not to offend Yes
    f)Don’t know

a)Free and open discussions Yes
    f)Don’t know

ReputationRep:
    1) What subject(s) are you reading at university? Music

2) Where is your current (term-time) residence? Bangor, North Wales

3) How would you describe your ethnicity? White british

b)Internet News Sites
    c)Newspapers
    d)Other, please specify

a)The Daily Mail
    b)The Daily Mirror
    c)The Daily Telegraph
    d)The Guardian
    e)The Independent
    f)The News of The World
    g)The Sun
    h)The Times
    i)Local Paper
    j)Other, please specify

6) On a scale of 1 to 5, do you believe there is enough being done to integrate new immigrants into the UK way of life? 5

7) On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate the racial relations in the area you currently live? 4

f)Don’t know

f)Don’t know

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.