Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What subjects to choose for law? (no history/geography)
    Is psychology easier or Chemistry and which one of em would we better for Law?
    I'm certain about maths and eng lit/lang (which shud i choose: eng lit or eng lang), which other two subjects to choose?]
    Thankz

ReputationRep:
    Eng Lit over Lang. History is one of the strongest choices for it, is there a reason why you don't want to do it? You don't need to have done it at GCSE.

Maths and Chemistry are both good choices and pure subjects. Psychology isn't as good of a choice as it is seen as a 'softer' subject in comparison. Law is competitive so it may be enough to disadvantage you. However, if you are interested in it then it may be an 'okay' fourth subject, providing you keep the other three. Check the websites if there's any details on preferred subjects or ones to avoid.

Something like Economics maybe?

ReputationRep:
    History
    English Literature
    A modern language
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    Maths, English Literature and Chemistry are all respected subjects that would be good for Law. Psychology isn't quite as regarded as the other three but it would be fine as a 4th subject- classics/modern foreign languages/theology/philosophy are good alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    History is a must. English Lit is certainly advisable. I'd go for maths after that, and politics/economics as a fourth.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry could be substituted for maths if you'd rather.

ReputationRep:
    1. Only take Chemistry if you enjoy it/ are good at it. Otherwise it'll just make things harder for you. Psychology is seen as the lesser of the two (only slightly) in terms of traditional subjects but it is fine as long as your other subjects are strong.
    2. English Literature seems to have an edge over English Language (but that's just my personal opinion)
    3. Maths is highly regarded as well.
    4. Just take two others you will enjoy and do well in. That's the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    History is a must. English Lit is certainly advisable. I'd go for maths after that, and politics/economics as a fourth.
    Nothing is a must.

Although, undoubtedly, History will reinforce one's logical and analytical skills, which are of course, vital for a Law degree.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do law and I'm taking History, English Literature and Politics. - But 'strong' subjects such as chemistry, physics, maths, biology, English Literature, History or a language are an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    In no way is History definitely a must! Don't feel pressured to do History if you don't want to. You pick up similar skills in English Literature/ Language. It is not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Just do any 3 or 4 strong and respected AS levels which you enjoy in, and think you will excel in.

Otherwise, you're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    Stay clear of Media Studies, whatever you do. Universities generally have a dislike of the subject, but others (such as Manchester) have a written rule that they will not accept Media Studies into the offer.

Try to stick to traditional essay-based subjects, although maths and sciences will definitely not harm your application.

ReputationRep:
    As a solicitor and former law student, with experience in recruitment, I'd say do what you enjoy and are good at.

There are no specific requirements for law. Universities and, later, legal employers tend to favour "traditional" A Levels like English (in particular), foreign languages and sciences and maths over more modern subjects like psychology. History is not a requirement but is well-respected and does help develop the skills you'll need in law. English literature probably has the edge over English language in terms of attracting employers, but do whichever you prefer.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Nothing is a must.

Although, undoubtedly, History will reinforce one's logical and analytical skills, which are of course, vital for a Law degree.
    I agree. Perhaps the language I used was a bit strong. I was giving my idea of a prototypical set of A-levels which would objectively be good for a law applicant to have, and my rationale was that history would surely be amongst them. Perhaps what I should have said is that history seems to be particularly attractive to law schools for whatever reason, but other traditional subjects will likely do the job just as well. A combination of English lit and maths, perhaps.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.