Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Erm...i'll try to be brief

failed in getting into medical school...twice. AAB, re-applying next year's not optional, considering re-applying after getting a different degree but want to know all my options first

Looking at EU med schools, Malta seems to be the ideal one so far, is there anyone that has or currently studies there? Do i have a decent shot of getting in, Do i need to become fluent in the language at a point? what are my chances of being a doctor in the UK after? I'll add more questions to this when i think of them, all help appreciated, thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    hey there... I think that you could study medicine in EU. I can't talk much about other countries (i've heard though that many people like Checz Republic), but I can talk to you about medicine in Romania if you'd like? (and no it's not such a bad university/ country as so many people think... i might be biased but if you think that would work for you i can give you some details)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teafil)
    hey there... I think that you could study medicine in EU. I can't talk much about other countries (i've heard though that many people like Checz Republic), but I can talk to you about medicine in Romania if you'd like? (and no it's not such a bad university/ country as so many people think... i might be biased but if you think that would work for you i can give you some details)
    Hey, I'm applying for University's next year, and fear the British system is too unfair and strict, so I'm looking at going abroad.
    Is it good in Romania? are you Romanian too??

ReputationRep:
    ive been thinking about malta too but dont really know anything about applying or the requirements needed for a british student. ive checked their website but i couldnt actually find a medicine degree section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fitter)
    Hey, I'm applying for University's next year, and fear the British system is too unfair and strict, so I'm looking at going abroad.
    Is it good in Romania? are you Romanian too??
    Yes i am Romanian, but I am going to study medicine in UK.

Basically here... outsiders = kings. If you come here you will be treated like a celebrity in university and basically anywhere (i never really understood romanians' fascinations with foreigners).

There are many people from arabic countries and from turkey that study in Bucharest. It actually became a tradition for them to study here (they have been studying medicine in Romania for over 30 years) and so this is why the university is used to having foreign students. Also at another Romanian university, there has been a section opened specially for french students (but you could fit there if you know french well enough).

You have to learn Romanian eventually, but don't worry too much about that... you will get it in the end and the teachers are very friendly and they will understand you perfect

talking about facilities. i must admit we are not very modern... but we do have dissections in every single university in Romania. The anatomy classes are top noch and i've heard many professional doctors (including people with phds in medicine that have international connections with doctors all over the world) that said that romanian doctors are generally welcomed due to a good solid knowledge base. Also here you can get loads of practice if you really want to!

in the last 5 years most romanian fresh doctors left romania and continued their residency in usa/france/sweeden/uk/spain/italy/denmark/holland and many others. If they did it... you british fellow will surely make it !

The accomodation is cheap. the average salary here is 250 euros/ month... so you can imagine things are not that expensive and the university taxes are fairly small.

Disadvantages: low facilities compared to uk unviersities (but don;t imagine Romania is an African country or something), a harsh language for you british people and perhaps you will get some odd looks when you mention Romania... but still the teaching is good.

Why I want to leave romania if it seems fairly good? Because I LOVE UK, because i want to see a civilized country and because I'm afraid i will be seen as an immigrant if i dont study there... and therefore i might end up being a bit discriminanted

I hope that answers some questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl16)
    ive been thinking about malta too but dont really know anything about applying or the requirements needed for a british student. ive checked their website but i couldnt actually find a medicine degree section
    was hard to find at first, it's BB in chemistry and biology at A level, let me find the link

i need these other questions answered though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmz)
    was hard to find at first, it's BB in chemistry and biology at A level, let me find the link

i need these other questions answered though
    thanks, i became interested in malta uni as the lectures are in english but i had a look on their website and struggled to find the medicine degree

ReputationRep:
    Malta university seems pretty good but I'm finding it so hard to find information! Does anyone know how much the fee is per year for EU students? And when the admission tests are starting?...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 24, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.