The Student Room Group

getting an A* in AQA further maths

My teachers have told me that to get an A* in further maths, you need an average of 90% in units FP2 and FP3, and average 80% overall (similar to A* for maths but with FP2 and FP3 instead of C3 and C4).

But from a thread on TSR, someone said you need an average of 90% in your best 3 modules.

which is true? and can you pick any 3 modules that you did (apart from C1-C4 obviously)?

i'm doing:
C1
C2
C3
C4
FP1
FP2
FP3
S1
S2
D1
D2
M1

My teacher said that the applied modules can be split between maths and further maths in any order that you want (so i could have S2 D2 M1 in further and S1 and D1 in regular maths if i wanted for example) but looking at the specification, it's not so clear.

can anyone who's SURE clear this up for me please? thanks.
For Edexcel, it's over 90% average in your three best A2 modules (ie, anything with a 2 or 3 after it, with at least one of FP2 or FP3).

I'm sure that's how it is for Edexcel... Sorry if it's not that helpful

Pretty damn sure applied modules can be put wherever though :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
thing is, people doing normal maths at my college aren't doing ANY with a 2 or 3 at the end (C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 M1) so i'm wondering if those can count towards an A* for further as well.
Reply 3
http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/special_pdf/A-QUICK-GUIDE-TO-GCE-A-STAR-GRADES.PDF

all the info you'll need is there :smile:, as for applied units my teacher said there just needs to be two '1' units (apart from FP1) that need to go towards your normal maths so either S1, D1 or M1, but I cant see any reason as to why say M2 can't go to it etc but that link should help
Reply 4
Im doing Maths and Further AQA

And doing C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, D2, S1, M1, M2, M3, FP1, FP3

I'll probably use C1, C2, C3, C4, D1 & S1 for maths
and FP1, FP3, D2, M1, M2, M3 for Further maths

You need to get an A overall and 90% average on the best 3 of your A2 Further maths modules. My A2 FM modules are D2, FP3, M2 and M3. Ive got 92 on M2 from Jan so need at least two 89s on my other A2 mods. Hopefully that'll be M3 and D2 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending