Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

£10million to get stay? is this fair? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today on the underground as I opened my evening standard I came across an article. The article said that if wealthy foreigners invested into Britain they would be eligible to get their stay within 2 years.

I just wanted to hear your views on this matter.
    Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...n-live-here.do

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good idea! Would be better to cap immigration to a trickle, but hey-ho

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm really excited for even more deposed African dictators and Russian oligarchs to come flocking here.

Britain will be the envy of the world.

ReputationRep:
    We need their money, they want citizenship.

Problem?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair game; if someone is willing to invest £10m into the country then they certainly should be allowed to live here.

ReputationRep:
    If they don't like it they can emigrate somewhere else. I am sick of people implying that we owe others the right to come to our country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    We need their money, they want citizenship.

Problem?
    there are so many more problems that sewer rat scum like you will never understand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    there are so many more problems that sewer rat scum like you will never understand
    Boo hoo cry more kid :rolleyes:

Anyone with £10 million to spend in the UK should be welcome. I don't care whether it is Gaddafi's son or wealthy oligarchs with connections to the Kremlin. We can ill afford to turn away millionaires and their money when our economy is in such dire straights. When they spend money here they support the British economy. That is all that matters. We get what we want from them (their money), they get what they want (citizenship). It is an amicable deal.

ReputationRep:

Anyone with £10 million to spend in the UK should be welcome. I don't care whether it is Gaddafi's son or wealthy oligarchs with connections to the Kremlin. We can ill afford to turn away millionaires and their money when our economy is in such dire straights. When they spend money here they support the British economy. That is all that matters. We get what we want from them (their money), they get what they want (citizenship). It is an amicable deal.
    Agreed and they should also pay our Government £3 million for every child born on British soil.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so potential investment creating more jobs and in exchange we give citizenship.

I see no major problem in the long run this could be highly beneficial helping everyone.

ReputationRep:
    The change, announced at the Stock Exchange by immigration minister Damian Green, is part of reforms designed to attract the world's most talented people to Britain
    Because money means your talented? Or am I just getting the wrong end of the stick here?

But to be honest, it's not a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Putting money first.

Well, be prepared to face any consequences that may come your way.

(Original post by Kasc)
    I think it's fair game; if someone is willing to invest £10m into the country then they certainly should be allowed to live here.
    They don't invest they just need to keep it in the bank for a period of five years I think it is... kinda pointless if you ask me, we should do what the US do only instead of 1 million investment with 10 jobs created make it 2 million with 20 jobs created :cool: so there is some kind of investment unlike what this appears to be.

ReputationRep:

Whore.

ReputationRep:

Except we don't get their money. All they have to do is dump it in a bank account and then watch interest on it go up then remove it after two years. It's not an investment, merely savings.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea. And while we're at it, we should impose a foreigner tax on all unneccessary, non-European/non-Anglosphere immigrants. It's certainly fairer than imposing strict immigration caps. Those with non-European, non-Anglosphere roots who want to work here for non-medical/educational services should be making a higher contribution for a certain period.

ReputationRep:

It's not in "dire straights".

Getting more money isn't a reason to throw away your morals in my opinion. I have no major objection to such a scheme, but I would be VERY happy to turn away Gaddafi's sons or other criminal figures.

ReputationRep:
    why the hell not?
    if they have money we know they won't go on benefits, won't put much drain on our services (they are almost certain to go private healthcare and use private education) and will inject money into the economy just with day to day shopping and tax

its a hell of a lot better than letting in say a polish builder, who will likely be payed in cash avoid a lot of tax, send a lot of that cash back home and use NHS and education if they have kids
    or even worse, the amount of unemployed people who go straight on to benefits, taking up council houses and so on

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.