Turn on thread page Beta

Protein shakes, yay or nay? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and I've been working out for about 18 months, so I'm no stranger to bodybuilding and weightlifting. However, I have recently started using protein shakes for the first time.

I never used to use them, I would make sure that my diet had a lot of protein instead. But this meant I would have to eat quite a lot of unwanted calories (I can't eat eggs or omelettes, which are fairly low-cal I believe).

I bought a tub of whey powder, with chocolate sweetener. I drink about 40g in the morning, usually with a glass of semi-skimmed milk (it tastes like a chocolate milkshake that way :ahee:), and I have another 40g after my workout (I go to the gym twice a week).

I have heard mixed views about protein supplements. I have heard things like they cause constipation if overused and things like kidney problems in the long term (not sure how true these claims are). I don't use them to replace a meal, only as a supplement. I am pretty muscular for my age, and since it is heard to bulk and cut at the same time I thought protein shakes would be ideal since they allow me to get a good amount of protein without eating too many calories.

My questions are:
    Are these kinds of rumours about protein shakes true?
    Do they help to maintain muscle as well as encourage muscle growth?
    Should I keep using them? (bearing in mind I want to add another few lbs of muscle, which is hard at the moment since I am in full time education and can't work out any more than twice a week).

I also practice martial arts twice a week, which involves a lot of punching/kicking etc. and the instructor gets us to do fitness exercises such as push ups and sit ups too. Would it be a good idea to have an extra dose of protein after martial arts sessions too?

ReputationRep:
    I've been using protein shakes for a long time now, mostly a mix of whey and casein (egg). As for the rumours, they can cause stomach upsets and various mild things in certain people. As for the kidney claim, remember too much of anything is bad for you, even protein so I wouldn't take more than what's necessary. But specifically for kidneys, i havent read any evidence to suggest damage, and can't think of any reason they would cause serious damage.

As for the martial arts, i tend to take a protein shake after martial arts sessions, as the stuff I do is quite intense on the muscles and the shakes tend to decrease recovery time.

So I'd say continue using them and continue working out hard, but I'm not the most knowledgable person here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sid214)
    I've been using protein shakes for a long time now, mostly a mix of whey and casein (egg). As for the rumours, they can cause stomach upsets and various mild things in certain people. As for the kidney claim, remember too much of anything is bad for you, even protein so I wouldn't take more than what's necessary. But specifically for kidneys, i havent read any evidence to suggest damage, and can't think of any reason they would cause serious damage.

As for the martial arts, i tend to take a protein shake after martial arts sessions, as the stuff I do is quite intense on the muscles and the shakes tend to decrease recovery time.

So I'd say continue using them and continue working out hard, but I'm not the most knowledgable person here.
    thanks for the advice! do you know how many grams of protein you're meant to eat each day? I hear different things like "it's 1 gram per pound of body weight" or "no, it's one gram per pound of lean muscle mass" etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmericanPsycho)
    I'm 18 and I've been working out for about 18 months, so I'm no stranger to bodybuilding and weightlifting. However, I have recently started using protein shakes for the first time.

I never used to use them, I would make sure that my diet had a lot of protein instead. But this meant I would have to eat quite a lot of unwanted calories (I can't eat eggs or omelettes, which are fairly low-cal I believe).

I bought a tub of whey powder, with chocolate sweetener. I drink about 40g in the morning, usually with a glass of semi-skimmed milk (it tastes like a chocolate milkshake that way :ahee:), and I have another 40g after my workout (I go to the gym twice a week).

I have heard mixed views about protein supplements. I have heard things like they cause constipation if overused and things like kidney problems in the long term (not sure how true these claims are). I don't use them to replace a meal, only as a supplement. I am pretty muscular for my age, and since it is heard to bulk and cut at the same time I thought protein shakes would be ideal since they allow me to get a good amount of protein without eating too many calories.

My questions are:
    Should I keep using them? (bearing in mind I want to add another few lbs of muscle, which is hard at the moment since I am in full time education and can't work out any more than twice a week).

I also practice martial arts twice a week, which involves a lot of punching/kicking etc. and the instructor gets us to do fitness exercises such as push ups and sit ups too. Would it be a good idea to have an extra dose of protein after martial arts sessions too?

Definitely yay. Been having them for quite a long time now.

ReputationRep:

My questions are:

It's not as if they contain anything harmful...Just more protein...which isn't exactly bad for your body (in moderation). Yes it will cause constipation and bloating but that's because of the protein and you'd get that from anything with high protein (like milk).

Yes keeping using them - provided you have the money, stick to the diet (don't skip any meals or replace it with a shake because it will kill your empty stomach), and stick to a work out plan.

Protein will maintain your muscles yes...the more protein you consume, the faster your muscles will recover (I think).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice! do you know how many grams of protein you're meant to eat each day? I hear different things like "it's 1 gram per pound of body weight" or "no, it's one gram per pound of lean muscle mass" etc.
    Recommended protein intake while bulking is 1.5 grams of protein per pound bodyweight

ReputationRep:
    you dont need them

ReputationRep:
    Only have to use protein shakes if you can't get enough protein into your diet. Protein in food > Shakes

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the fools saying stick with food etc.
    They are completely safe with a balanced diet and don't give you constipation, especially if you have a balanced diet, like myself.
    However PhD Pharmawhey would give me the screaming ****s - we're talking seriously bad, so can't recommend them. However Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold standard Whey tastes great and haven't had any issues with it, other than gains, and it's cheap as well, and a great source of protein, BCAA's and AA's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quintus)
    you dont need them
    If you wan't to eat all your money away, sure, don't use them. However if you don't want to be spending all your money on steak, it's the best way to reach the g:lb protein ratio.

ReputationRep:
    Here's my views/experiences of whey supplements:

I took standard whey protein on/off (mostly on) throughout my undergrad degree whilst training for both rugby and rowing to a fairly high standard. I've tried pretty much all of the major brands and as long as you are choosing a fairly high-quality whey, there is little tangible difference.

I found that they definitely help to supplement a nutritious and wholesome diet, whilst also aiding recovery and muscle fatigue. They will also help you gain muscle mass at a slightly better rate - assuming you are training effectively and eating a good diet.

However, I'm still training quite regularly now and have not taken whey supplements for over two/three months and have noticed little difference in my fatigue/size/strength. I guess the "exponential" effect they initially had when I first used them eventually wore off.

In short, they are effective if you have the money to spend, are eating a decent diet and training effectively. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    waste of time. 5/6 balanced meals a day does the trick just fine- **** maximuscle.

ReputationRep:
    They're only dangerous (loose sense of the word) if you overuse or replace a proper diet with them. But that's true for just about anything in life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm drinking Optimum Nutrition Casein as I speak. I feel like puking, dear lord. It tastes godawful.
    However, I'll just tell myself to MAN UP AND FINISH IT. If your protein tastes bad, add some Bailey's in it.

ReputationRep:
    Yay.... nay...

What about....

WHEY!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager1)
    waste of time. 5/6 balanced meals a day does the trick just fine- **** maximuscle.
    Well those of us in actual full-time education or a full-time job don't have time to make 6 meals a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager1)
    lol @ waste of time from someone saying you should prepare 6 meals a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol this

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

I have 3 shakes a day with no side effects, cba to cook up another 250g of Chicken instead. Kidneys will be fine assuming you consume a fair amount of water which you should be doing anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    'meal' does not have to mean 5 course ****ing banquet. Simple, nutritionally balanced meals in this sense of the word take minimal effort to make and you can always make enough for a few times- i.e just split ur usual meal up into 300-400cal portions.

ReputationRep:
    Optimal protein intake for max muscle synthesis in rigorously training bodybiulders 2 gms per 1lb body weight - max healthy level may be no higher than 2 gms per kg. Too much overloads the kidneys, demineralises the bones - Drink more and increase bone biulding nutrition. Optimal window for absorbtion and utilisation is during and up to two hours after. Take just before and immediately after. Various sourced protein potentiates the window.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.