Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager1)
    'meal' does not have to mean 5 course ****ing banquet. Simple, nutritionally balanced meals in this sense of the word take minimal effort to make and you can always make enough for a few times- i.e just split ur usual meal up into 300-400cal portions.
    or you know, you could just put some oats and whey in a blender with milk and blitz it up...

And this 6 small meals a day stuff is such *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    or you know, you could just put some oats and whey in a blender with milk and blitz it up...

And this 6 small meals a day stuff is such *******s
    ...which is in essence a 'meal'- don't you agree? I actually do that atm so I'm not against the use of protein shakes at all, just slightly disheartened by the effect it's having on my wallet and continued the arguement...well, for agruements sake.

ReputationRep:
    A shake containing oats, milk and whey is likely to becheaper than most meals though of a vaguely similar nutritional content.

ReputationRep:
    ...which is in essence a 'meal'- don't you agree? I actually do that atm so I'm not against the use of protein shakes at all, just slightly disheartened by the effect it's having on my wallet and continued the arguement...well, for agruements sake.
    oats are like £1 a kg, and whey is about £10 a kg of myprotein... It's not exactly bank breaking

ReputationRep:
    WTF?? Have u ever bought either?

ReputationRep:
    WTF?? Have u ever bought either?
    MyProtein's Impact Whey Protein £35.99/5kg= £7.20 per kg

Asda's oats £0.75 for a kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)

I stand corrected, thanks for this. I usually stick to Maximuscle/ USN products- never thought the disparity in price would be this large. I suspect this reflects to some extent in the quality?
    Oats are very cheap anyway so it seems ridiculous to get ASDA's cheap ****.

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected, thanks for this. I usually stick to Maximuscle/ USN products- never thought the disparity in price would be this large. I suspect this reflects to some extent in the quality?
    I've tried Maximuscle before (free samples) and I'd say the quality's the same, MyProtein don't have such an extensive marketing campaign, which is probably why their products are cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)

What kind of a comparison is this..?

Impact whey ~80% protein content by weight

Oats ~ 10% protein content by weight

I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that oats are a better source of protein or what, but that's how it looked to me..

And I'd like to add for the OP, whey is good, although too much of it results in bloating and other issues. As a supplement though it's great. Although it does only have an NNU of ~16%, compared to ~30% for whole foods, but generally there are already less excess calories in whey protein compared to typical whole foods so you can just double up the amounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    What kind of a comparison is this..?

Impact whey ~80% protein content by weight

Oats ~ 10% protein content by weight

I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that oats are a better source of protein or what, but that's how it looked to me..

And I'd like to add for the OP, whey is good, although too much of it results in bloating and other issues. As a supplement though it's great. Although it does only have an NNU of ~16%, compared to ~30% for whole foods, but generally there are already less excess calories in whey protein compared to typical whole foods so you can just double up the amounts.
    Read a few posts up, someone talked about the price of these products, someone else questioned it, I posted prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Read a few posts up, someone talked about the price of these products, someone else questioned it, I posted prices.
    Okay must have missed that post, sorry!

But yes, oats are good as a carbohydrate source

ReputationRep:
    Why so? How are ASDA's oats inferior?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celebritydiscodave)
    Optimal protein intake for max muscle synthesis in rigorously training bodybiulders 2 gms per 1lb body weight - max healthy level may be no higher than 2 gms per kg. Too much overloads the kidneys, demineralises the bones - Drink more and increase bone biulding nutrition. Optimal window for absorbtion and utilisation is during and up to two hours after. Take just before and immediately after. Various sourced protein potentiates the window.
    Sources?

ReputationRep:
    There is so much fail in this thread, it makes my eyes hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    Recommended protein intake while bulking is 1.5 grams of protein per pound bodyweight
    It ain't necessarily so. If you're a hardgainer, then maybe. When I started bulking i was ~170lbs and I was having roughly 120 grams of protein a day (if i was lucky). This was without protein supplements). I gained 11lbs up to 181lbs after 2 months, and before y'all say "it was mostly fat", I'll tell you that i rose from 9% BF to 10%, that's all. So protein powders shouldn't be considered a necessity for bulking. It depends on your genetics and body composition.

I managed an effective bulk with less than the "recommended" protein quota. But then, I'm an anabolic machine and a genetic beast. What can I say.

ReputationRep:
    Protein is more important when dieting than it is for bulking. And even then, it depends. I still feel it's better to err on the higher side. 2.2g/kg is the higher side.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to forget that it's simply like eating a chicken breast or a can of tuna in terms of nutritional content.

It's just protein.

Also, it works out as significantly cheaper than buying the same amount of protein in the form of meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    People seem to forget that it's simply like eating a chicken breast or a can of tuna in terms of nutritional content.

It's just protein.

Also, it works out as significantly cheaper than buying the same amount of protein in the form of meat.
    People think protein is some sort of steroid equivalent. Does my head in it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan12)
    People think protein is some sort of steroid equivalent. Does my head in it does.
    I know, it's pretty irritating. Especially when people start saying 'ah he's only big because he's on protein.' Headdesk.

Then I look back to when I was ignorant on the matter and it alleviates the worst of my anger... well sort of.

For your entertainment, here is the status of one of the people I have on Facebook:

"the quest to become built like a brick ****house has taken a levelup."

"you on the roids now?"

"Ha nah man just got this proteiiin."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmericanPsycho)
    I'm 18 and I've been working out for about 18 months, so I'm no stranger to bodybuilding and weightlifting. However, I have recently started using protein shakes for the first time.

I never used to use them, I would make sure that my diet had a lot of protein instead. But this meant I would have to eat quite a lot of unwanted calories (I can't eat eggs or omelettes, which are fairly low-cal I believe).

I bought a tub of whey powder, with chocolate sweetener. I drink about 40g in the morning, usually with a glass of semi-skimmed milk (it tastes like a chocolate milkshake that way :ahee:), and I have another 40g after my workout (I go to the gym twice a week).

I have heard mixed views about protein supplements. I have heard things like they cause constipation if overused and things like kidney problems in the long term (not sure how true these claims are). I don't use them to replace a meal, only as a supplement. I am pretty muscular for my age, and since it is heard to bulk and cut at the same time I thought protein shakes would be ideal since they allow me to get a good amount of protein without eating too many calories.

My questions are:
    Are these kinds of rumours about protein shakes true?
    Do they help to maintain muscle as well as encourage muscle growth?
    Should I keep using them? (bearing in mind I want to add another few lbs of muscle, which is hard at the moment since I am in full time education and can't work out any more than twice a week).

I also practice martial arts twice a week, which involves a lot of punching/kicking etc. and the instructor gets us to do fitness exercises such as push ups and sit ups too. Would it be a good idea to have an extra dose of protein after martial arts sessions too?
    I think they're safe these days, I need to use them as it wuold take too long to make 5 meals a day.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.