Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been offered a place at Durham to study general engineering and plan on converting it into aeronautical or mechanical in 3rd & 4th year. My question is would it be possible to get a job at NASA or any kind of space agency etc. I like the idea of designing or testing rockets/space probes/satellites that will advance astronomy and astrophysics etc since I also have a keen interest in this. (I say NASA since I can only speak english and I'm sure ESA (European Space Agency) would have too much of a language barrier for me). Any feedback welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    Well - NASA what you'd call world class - so the very top people from the very top universities compete against each other to get to work there.

Basically if you are in Durham that's a start but you'd need to expect to get a first in pretty much every course that you do and have great references for going the extra mile from two or three professors. You should certainly try to get job placements in the space industry every summer so you get relevant experience (believe it or not there are 70,000 people working in the space industry in the UK http://www.ukspace.org/).

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I heard somewhere that you could only work for NASA if you were an American citizen but I may be wrong.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.