Turn on thread page Beta

Flying home from inter-railing in Europe...help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I have only ever read the student room before, never actually asked a question myself so sorry if this is a bit rambling and thanks for any advice anyone can give!

I am going interailing around Europe in May with a good friend and have the 10 in 22 days eurail ticket.

My friends final destination is Rome and then she has to go home, however I am then going on to do a week by myself. Here is my problem....

I dont know where I am going to go on my week alone and don't want to plan too much (like doing things on a whim, but obviously to a logical extent)... so how do I get home as I don't know which day I am going to stay until (may want to do a little more than a week) and I don't know where I am going to be should I

a) book a cheap flight in advance say from Milan (cheapest flights I could find and central-ish Europe so could get there from elsewhere in Europe in time for the flight)
    or
    B)book a las tminute cheap flight from whereever I am on whatever day
    I don't know if this is possible though will it actually work out as cheap?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

ReputationRep:
    I think it'll probably be cheaper to book a flight now. I flew back from Salzburg when I interrailed, which was pretty cheap. Or you could risk it and see if there are any ryanair/easyjet sales going on.

Also, bare in mind some trains you will have to book in advance if you want a seat. I didn't know this and had to stand for journeys lasting hours.. not nice! Booking can mean you have to pay a little extra though.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! How much did you have to pay in advance to book the trains? Also, which is the easiest/best way to do it, at international stations or online/phone?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should decide on a final destination and a final date. Everything else in between can be spontaneous. For italy book trains online here.

EDIT: I'm not sure how reservations work with your inter rail ticket though

You might find this thread useful - re: flights, trains etc. Check out seat61.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.