Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the en-suite rooms at Hugh Stew are like? I think someone said awhile back that they are bigger than normal rooms because they are in the old part of the building, is this right or am I talking BS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thirst)
    Anyone know what the en-suite rooms at Hugh Stew are like? I think someone said awhile back that they are bigger than normal rooms because they are in the old part of the building, is this right or am I talking BS?
    Sorry I cant help you with this. But it wouldn't surprise me. Rooms vary a bit both between different halls, and in a hall itself.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for Ancaster ensuite. Is Ancaster good? I mean I know the mix of people will be random in each hall and I really doubt wherever you're in will make too much difference but just wondering if it is a nice hall/good room size etc?

ReputationRep:
    All the en-suite rooms (and there aren't that many in Hu Stu... about 8 I think) are in the new block. The majority of rooms in the old block (blocks A-O) are single study (some 'large', some standard) and in general, these are all larger than rooms in the new block. Most of the rooms in the new block (blocks P-Z) are shared ensuite, a few are ensuite, and a few are single study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    All the en-suite rooms (and there aren't that many in Hu Stu... about 8 I think) are in the new block. The majority of rooms in the old block (blocks A-O) are single study (some 'large', some standard) and in general, these are all larger than rooms in the new block. Most of the rooms in the new block (blocks P-Z) are shared ensuite, a few are ensuite, and a few are single study.
    So if I have a large single study in Hu Stu, I'm most likely to be in the older part? Or are there large study rooms in the newer part as well? Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawbs104)
    So if I have a large single study in Hu Stu, I'm most likely to be in the older part? Or are there large study rooms in the newer part as well? Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question!
    Yeah, it's a fairly safe bet that you'll be in the old block if you have a large single study. I suspect (although I don't know for sure) that all the single study rooms in the new block are *not* classified as being large. When I was in Hu Stu, single study rooms were just single study - there was no split between small/large.

ReputationRep:
    Hugh Stu seems like a bit of an odd one if im honest. I know a fair few people at Notts and the comments have ranged from "It looks like a prison" to "Its the halls everyone wants to be in, its so central". Whats your personal view on Hugh Stu?

Also how are the rooms in terms of condition/decor? Are they pretty dated, are the beds single or single and a half?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    Yeah, it's a fairly safe bet that you'll be in the old block if you have a large single study. I suspect (although I don't know for sure) that all the single study rooms in the new block are *not* classified as being large. When I was in Hu Stu, single study rooms were just single study - there was no split between small/large.
    Awesome, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hugh Stu seems like a bit of an odd one if im honest. I know a fair few people at Notts and the comments have ranged from "It looks like a prison" to "Its the halls everyone wants to be in, its so central". Whats your personal view on Hugh Stu?

Also how are the rooms in terms of condition/decor? Are they pretty dated, are the beds single or single and a half?
    Well the prison comments are clearly from people who are racked by jealousy

The rooms do get redecorated on a fairly regular cycle, probably every 4 or 5 years or so, so they're never too shabby really. A lot of rooms did get upgraded from single beds to 1.5, but it may well have only been the large single studies, in order to differentiate them from the small ones by a factor a bit less arbitrary than just room size. I don't know though - it happened just after I left. BrenLee might well know, or at least will be able to find out!

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it when I looked over accom this year we were told that all rooms would be getting the bed upgrade this year, so lets hope they do the rooms up while they are at it. :P

ReputationRep:
    My back hasn't been the same since I started.

ReputationRep:
    So as the thread starter said, what would be the best social halls? or all they all pretty similar?

I was reccommended rutland or derby halls because they are close and are really good in terms of social (although I suppose they all are).

Any people who've stayed in halls wanna give us a sum up?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickC)
    So as the thread starter said, what would be the best social halls? or all they all pretty similar?

I was reccommended rutland or derby halls because they are close and are really good in terms of social (although I suppose they all are).

Any people who've stayed in halls wanna give us a sum up?

Cheers
    You can't choose specific halls on university park. You select room type preferences and get assigned a random hall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    You can't choose specific halls on university park. You select room type preferences and get assigned a random hall.
    Oh no I know that but I heard you can request for a change when you get your halls, so it would still be good to know which halls are good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickC)
    Oh no I know that but I heard you can request for a change when you get your halls, so it would still be good to know which halls are good?
    Ah sorry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.