Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    given the integral

\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x)\;dx

presumably you use integration by parts, but which bit do I call v and which bit du/dx ?

Actually in general, what's the strategy for deciding which bit to call what? I thought you choose the bit that differentiates to a constant to be v, but in this case, neither of them do.

:confused:

Ta

ReputationRep:
    In this instance it doesn't matter much, it's probably easier to use the trig term.

You will require two iterations, ending up with a similar integral to the one above when you try and work it out the second time.

Calling the integral I, you can then rewrite in the form I = ...

ReputationRep:
    Call du/dx e^3x. Easier to intergrate. sin2x can be differentiated easily enough. Then just apply the rule.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this will help but kinda gives an explanation!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...29*sin%282x%29

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    In this instance it doesn't matter much, it's probably easier to use the trig term.

You will require two iterations, ending up with a similar integral to the one above when you try and work it out the second time.

Calling the integral I, you can then rewrite in the form I = ...
    oh so I'll still have to do in in two stages then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    given the integral

\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x)\;dx

presumably you use integration by parts, but which bit do I call v and which bit du/dx ?

Actually in general, what's the strategy for deciding which bit to call what? I thought you choose the bit that differentiates to a constant to be v, but in this case, neither of them do.

:confused:

Ta
    Alternatively, if you want to avoid IBP you could notice that:

\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x) dx = \Im \left(\displaystyle\int e^{(3+2i)x} dx \right),

and find that imaginary part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Not sure if this will help but kinda gives an explanation!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...29*sin%282x%29
    yeah, I tried Walpha, but it doesn't do it by parts. It uses some kind of general formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Alternatively, you could notice that:

\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x) dx = Im \left(\displaystyle\int e^{(3+2i)x} dx \right),

um, you're joking right? (you know I won't understand that! :angry:)

ReputationRep:
    Actually in general, what's the strategy for deciding which bit to call what?
    Try googling LIATE Rule, its a rule of thumb which I follow for integration by parts.
    Basically you choose 'u' by what come first in the list: Logs, Inverse trig, Algebra, Trig, Exponentials

ReputationRep:
    um, you're joking right? (you know I won't understand that! :angry:)
    My apologies. I thought you were doing an Open University course on it so assumed that you had met complex numbers properly by now. :o:

Do you follow what the others have suggested?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts

In Examples, from 'An unusual example commonly used...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potassium^2)
    Try googling LIATE Rule, its a rule of thumb which I follow for integration by parts.
    Basically you choose 'u' by what come first in the list: Logs, Inverse trig, Algebra, Trig, Exponentials
    that's cool! I haven't heard of that before.

My apologies. I thought you were doing an Open University course on it so assumed that you had met complex numbers properly by now. :o:

Do you follow what the others have suggested?
    well, I know what complex numbers are, but I don't see the relevance to this.

Doing it by parts just keeps on generating new products? So I don't see how it helps.

Choosing dv/dx to be e^3x I get

\dfrac{1}{3}3e^{3x}\sin(2x)}-\displaystyle\int\dfrac{2}{3}e^{  3x}\cos(2x)\;dx

which doesn't really help me, as I have still got a product to integrate. And you keep on getting a product, presumably?

ReputationRep:
    well, I know what complex numbers are, but I don't see the relevance to this.
    I take it that you've never seen De Moivre's theorem before? Or the definition:

e^{i\theta} = \cos \theta +i\sin \theta?

Doing it by parts just keeps on generating new products? So I don't see how it helps.

Choosing dv/dx to be e^3x I get

\dfrac{e^{3x}\sin(2x)}{3}-\displaystyle\int\dfrac{2}{3}e^{  3x}\cos(2x)\;dx

which doesn't really help me, as I have still got a product to integrate. And you keep on getting a product, presumably?
    Use IBP again with \frac{dv}{dx}=e^{3x} and notice the integral part that emerges. It will be similar to what you started with. Therefore, if you let I=\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin (2x)dx, you will have something of the form:

I=[\mathrm{stuff}] + kI where k is a constant.

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively, if you want to avoid IBP you could notice that:

\displaystyle\int e^{3x}\sin(2x) dx = \mathrm{Im} \left(\displaystyle\int e^{(3+2i)x} dx \right),

oh wait, yes, sorry! I see what you mean now. You're using Euler's relation. That's sneaky :ninja:

It's just that you first had a Hebrew letter in place of the Im, (before you edited it). Aleph, maybe? I didn't know what that was

ReputationRep:
    oh wait, yes, sorry! I see what you mean now. You're using Euler's relation. That's sneaky :ninja:

It's just that you first had a Hebrew letter in place of the Im, (before you edited it). Aleph, maybe? I didn't know what that was
    Good to hear that you've got the idea.

Yeah, I don't know what happened there, slip of the finger I think.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear that you've got the idea.

Yeah, I don't know what happened there, slip of the finger I think.
    our posts crossed I think. You were posting about de Moivre and I was posting about Euler. I always get those mixed up, what's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    I=[\mathrm{stuff}] + kI where k is a constant.
    Which won't work if k = 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgeOfAquarius)
    Which won't work if k = 1.
    What's your point? I haven't indicated that k is 1. k isn't arbitrary and I have used an equality sign as opposed to an equivalence sign for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    our posts crossed I think. You were posting about de Moivre and I was posting about Euler. I always get those mixed up, what's the difference?
    A quick google will tell you the answer to your question.

ReputationRep:
    What's your point? I haven't indicated that k is 1.
    You misunderstood me. It was just a caution for the OP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.