Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents arguing - do I say something or stay out of it? Watch

I know the standard answer to this would be stay out of it and be supportive" but I'm not sure if I can at the moment. My parents split up years ago but continue living together for religious/cultural reasons (yep they're muslim). My dad wrongly thinks my mum has been cheating on him (he has no proof though). My brother, sister and I don't believe it but can't say much. Anyway - my dad has been struggling to get a good job, so works on £16,000 a year, my mum works as a childminder but is paid about £4 an hour (she knows it's below minimum wage but can't get a better job and needs the money). My dad thinks my mum spends all her money on herself and since we were young demanded my mum give him her passport and child tax credits card. Now he wants £250 a month to cover half the rent. It's near on impossible for us to move to somewhere with cheaper rent (£500 a month for a 3 bed semi isn't bad and there are 5 of us in the house).
    Do I say something here, or let it go? They're constantly getting me to pass messages back and forth (usually complaining about something). If I refuse they just tell me to do what I'm told. Should I carry on passing messages? They're constantly back biting each other, and I don't know what to do. (I'm 18, and my siblings are 16 and 14).

ReputationRep:
    Stay out of it. Don't take sides. Let them sort it out themselves. They are mature adults. Whilst it doesn't seem like it when they argue, that's what they are. They'll take the course of action that is best.

My Step-Dad and Mother argue a lot, and I stay out of it. Its just best to let it blow over.

ReputationRep:
    Stay out of it, it isn't any of your business.

If you must then it should be nothing more than "enough you two" unless of course you want a backhand since they are muslims

ReputationRep:
    If my parents are arguing and I'm upstairs I take one of two steps:
    1) Go out on the landing and shout down "Keep the ****ing noise down, I'm trying to sleep".
    Or
    2) Go down to the room they're shouting in and sit down. When they ask me why I'm down there with them I say "Your shouting was keeping me awake so I figured I'd come down and see what all the fuss is about. Please, go on".

Thanks for your replies. The thing that is worrying me is that I feel my dad treats my mum like crap. She's not perfect either, I mean, she moans about anything and everything, sometimes a bit too much, but my dad is worse as he's really disrespectful and thinks my mum is cheating on him when he has no proof and is just paranoid and controlling.
    Is it really better to do and say nothing? :s

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.