Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Chemistry next year, have offers from both for ABB. Both departments are good, can't fault either of the courses, so it's coming down to which city is best. I'm not 18 yet so need to know a bit about the social scene, what the music scene is like and what the overall feeling of the city is. I've been to both, but genuinely can't pick between them.

Please help, otherwise it's going to end up flipping a coin because I really can't pick between them.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

They are both great cities in terms of the social scene they offer as well as the shopping aspect, Newcastle probably has the edge by being a bigger city thus offers generally more options for other activities.

In Newcastle, the city centre always has a buzz be it 9am or 9pm because there is always something going on, its a quick paced environment with a lot of excitement, lots to do and a lot of people to potentially meet. Leeds on the other hand is probably a bit quieter and has a calmer atmosphere.

I don't think either place will mean that you are losing out because they are just 1 hour away from each on the train and a lot of student nights out from both universities are organized to the other.
    Newcastle is closer to Edinburgh for weekends away, shopping, days out, nights out whilst Leeds has York and Manchester nearby.

Personally, I would go with Newcastle just for the atmosphere and what the city offers, its a student friendly with great transport links (and also because I'm a Geordie myself ) but I do think whatever decision you make, both places will offer a unique university experience.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My friend does biology at Leeds Uni and he has excelled while he's been there. Im at Leeds Metropolitan and obviously im biased but its an amazing place, and Leeds Univeristy is one of the best in the world.
    Will be your choice at the end of the day though
    Lauren,

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Newcastle studying biochemistry (switching to chem in September) and the Uni and the City are amazing! There's something for everyone here, really friendly and best of all it's cheap!
    I could have gone elsewhere for chem, I had the chance to do a UCAS but I wouldn't want to leave Newcastle!
    Music is good here- there's club nights to suit all tastes. I'm a big rock/metal fan and I love it! We have a RockSoc as well The o2 Academy/ Metro Radio have loads of big and small names play, and there's City Hall for comedy.
    New SU from September which is going to be mint!!!
    Also from a chem point of view, the labs here are amazing and there's so many different options, study in Europe, Year in Industry, Medicinal Chem...and it's so easy to transfer to something more suited to you Sorry if I'm being biased (I am a Yorkshire lass though, so technically I should choose Leeds?!)

ReputationRep:
    Leeds

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle! Fantastic city, lovely people, great nightlife and extremely good university.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.