Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically i am wanting to go to university to study aerospace engineering but only got a c at GCSE. I am really wanting to take this but i needed a b but i have been offered to do applied science which is a b-tec

Is it worth taking it or would it be better to study biology or chemistry as i have te required grades to study them at A-Level

ReputationRep:
    im not sure if youd be able to get into an aerospace engineering degree without a levels in physics and maths or with a btec in applied science...

if you cant study a level physics, have you looked into foundation degrees? theyre where you start the degree and they teach you all the preparatory physics you need before moving onto uni level stuff.. i think that would be your best shot if you cant take a level physics..

have you tried begging whoever it is that says you need a b at gcse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK92)
    if you cant study a level physics, have you looked into foundation degrees? theyre where you start the degree and they teach you all the preparatory physics you need before moving onto uni level stuff.. i think that would be your best shot if you cant take a level physics..
    Absolute rubbish! Does nobody here know the difference between a Foundation Degree and a Foundation Year?

A Foundation Degree is typically a two year FT course that allows successful graduaties to progress onto L6 of a linked degree course (to top up to the full degree in 1 year) so has to cover near as darn it all the material on L4 and L5 of the linked course. Given the large amount of work based learning the FD must have, there is little room for "fluff" units.

A Foundation Year, is a year of study to prepare applicants for L4 of a degree course

As for the original question, I wouldn't like to recommend you one way or another without knowing how academic you are, but what I can tell you is that the number of students joining our engineering courses with BTEC qualifications who were then successful in passing L4 has reduced dramatically in the last 5 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreevey)
    Basically i am wanting to go to university to study aerospace engineering but only got a c at GCSE. I am really wanting to take this but i needed a b but i have been offered to do applied science which is a b-tec

Is it worth taking it or would it be better to study biology or chemistry as i have te required grades to study them at A-Level
    You got a C in what? Aerospace engineering?

ReputationRep:
    They do a GCSE in aerospace engineering!? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    if you want to do engineering you should be looking at taking at least maths and physics. and preferably further maths and chemistry too.

to be perfectly honest if you only got a C at GCSE (what subject was the C in?) then you'll definitely struggle at a'levels let alone uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreevey)

Do A-levels.

Wow space engineering, sounds cool. Lets be honest though, your never going to work for NASA with a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdywuk)
    Absolute rubbish! Does nobody here know the difference between a Foundation Degree and a Foundation Year?

A Foundation Degree is typically a two year FT course that allows successful graduaties to progress onto L6 of a linked degree course (to top up to the full degree in 1 year) so has to cover near as darn it all the material on L4 and L5 of the linked course. Given the large amount of work based learning the FD must have, there is little room for "fluff" units.

A Foundation Year, is a year of study to prepare applicants for L4 of a degree course
    my bad, i meant a degree with a foundation year. i was talking to the guy who sits next to me in general studies whos applying for a degree with a foundation year at RHUL and he always talks about it as "foundation degree" and hes the only person i talk to about it so i just said what hes told me. you obviously know more about whats needed, but AFAIK a foundation year might be an option..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Wow space engineering, sounds cool. Lets be honest though, your never going to work for NASA with a C.
    Well thats not true.

You don't know the circumstances around his C at gcse. If he works hard and gets A's in maths and physics at A Level he is in with a chance

ReputationRep:
    Some schools run BTECs to inflate their 6th form figures and only let the least able pupils onto them. You would be wise to checkout the school/college where the course is taking place. Ask how many people went from the BTEC directly to a degree programme.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.