Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Information on Traffic Rule watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I need some information about the basic traffic rules in UK.

If there was an accident on a road where no one got injured just the front and rear bumpers and lights of the rear and front cars got damaged, respectively.
    Now what are the first things drivers are supposed to do, and how to deal with such a situation?
    If the road is partially blocked because of the cars in the way, is it alright to move the cars aside; because someone told me that it can not be moved unitl a traffic authority arrives.
    If the thing that happened is that the person in the front was taking a right turn or u-turn and claims that he was driving appropriately and did not apply sudden brakes but also admits that he had not the turn indicator on, but yet blames yet blames the rear one for that he was driving fast. While the excuse of the one at the back is that he was driving witihn speed limits and would have slowed if he had seen the indicator, and alaso that the front one applied sudden brakes.
    How is such case usulaally resolved in UK. Because someone also informed me that including this case 99% of accidents blame the rear driver, no matter what.

Also I would like to hear the view of people who have resided in any other countries and know the rules there.

One more thing how frequent does it happen that both parties settle the problem down all by themselves, without th involvement of the authority, because they both think it is waste of time and money for oth of them.

Thank you for reading.
    Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to call the police unless someone has been injured.

You should pull aside and exchange details with the other driver. You should exchange name and car registration and then contact your insurance company once you get home.

You can agree for one driver to pay for the other's repairs without going through your insurance company. But if there is any dispute about who is to blame you really need to go through your insurance company and get them to argue it out for you - that is what you are paying them for.

I'm not quite sure of the situation you are describing. If you go into the back of someone, it is always your fault even if they are driving stupidly, as you should have given them space. If they pulled out in front of you or changed lanes into you, then it is their fault.

ReputationRep:
    No matter the circumstances, if you go into the back of somebody, it's your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvieMo)
    There is no need to call the police unless someone has been injured.

You should pull aside and exchange details with the other driver. You should exchange name and car registration and then contact your insurance company once you get home.

You can agree for one driver to pay for the other's repairs without going through your insurance company. But if there is any dispute about who is to blame you really need to go through your insurance company and get them to argue it out for you - that is what you are paying them for.

I'm not quite sure of the situation you are describing. If you go into the back of someone, it is always your fault even if they are driving stupidly, as you should have given them space. If they pulled out in front of you or changed lanes into you, then it is their fault.

Ok. And one more thing is it compulsory to have a car insurance in the UK for every owner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whateverbingo)
    Ok. And one more thing is it compulsory to have a car insurance in the UK for every owner?
    Yes, it's a legal requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Yes, it's a legal requirement.
    Ok thank you. Although I am pretty amazed about the fault of the rear driver. I was told that in UK people get the cctvs checked by the traffic authority and then if the front driver was really driving stupidly, the rear one was not charged.
    In my case the front driver did admit that she had not had the indicator on, I mean there is not even need of cctvs.

Anyways thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whateverbingo)
    Ok thank you. Although I am pretty amazed about the fault of the rear driver. I was told that in UK people get the cctvs checked by the traffic authority and then if the front driver was really driving stupidly, the rear one was not charged.
    In my case the front driver did admit that she had not had the indicator on, I mean there is not even need of cctvs.

Anyways thanks for the info.
    If you go into the back of someone it isn't automatically your fault, as the above poster says. If you feel you it was the driver aheads fault you're still able to claim so and take it to the courts if necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    If you go into the back of someone it isn't automatically your fault, as the above poster says. If you feel you it was the driver aheads fault you're still able to claim so and take it to the courts if necessary.
    Ok. Thanks. But the country I reside in it is automatically my fault. Thanks.
    One other thing if you know, if in the accident both drivers want the police called for, are they supposed to maintain their cars unmoved until the inspector arrives, or can they move their cars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    I totally agree if both parties are already on the same road and have been for some time and you go into the back of the THIRD-PARTY, it is your fault
    ...HOWEVER new scenario; THIRD-PARTY is in a side street up ahead at giveway-lines wanting to turn into the road that your driving along.
    THIRD-PARTY pulls out without warning when the gap is too small and you go into the back of them, its the THIRD-PARTYS fault as your had right-of-way.

Once your on a roundabout you have right-of-way:
    obviously if you go into the back of a car which is lready on the roundabout it would be your fault
    ...HOWEVER if a car was to pull onto the roundabout (i.e there first quarter (90degrees of the roundabout) they should be giving way to traffic to the right, typically if there was a collision you'd hit the drivers side of the THIRD-PARTY and it would be their fault not your. Even if they get a bit further along if you hit their back it would still be their fault as you had right-of-way and they should have given away. Once a driver is past the first quarter of the roundabout they can be considered on the roundabout and normal rules apply.

who is to blame is linked to the high-way-code and who has right-of-way; it is most certainly not clear cut i.e. who hit who!

Yes, sorry, I should have made my point clearer. I meant on a road where you're both travelling and there's no issue of right of way.

Although, if someone pulled out on me I would try and make it so they hit the front of my car rather than me going into the back of them, just to avoid confusion

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.