Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! What would be the reasons for the calculated values of the resistance differing to the experimental values of the resistance across lamps in series and parallel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    Hi! What would be the reasons for the calculated values of the resistance differing to the experimental values of the resistance across lamps in series and parallel?
    Some off the top of my head:

(1) Resistance of wires - in calculations you usually assume it to be zero. However, I have to admit to have no clue how much this could affect the actual values.

(2) As the current flows, bulb's temperature rises and so does its resistance. It stabilises only when it has reached temperature high enough. Also, bulb's resistance changes over time as it is used (so that a new and an identical used bulb have different resistances).

(3) Measurement uncertainties - the measured value is not the true value. The only thing you know is that very probably the true value lies within the range of two uncertainties (but not necessarily always does so).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaroc)
    Some off the top of my head:

(1) Resistance of wires - in calculations you usually assume it to be zero. However, I have to admit to have no clue how much this could affect the actual values.

(2) As the current flows, bulb's temperature rises and so does its resistance. It stabilises only when it has reached temperature high enough. Also, bulb's resistance changes over time as it is used (so that a new and an identical used bulb have different resistances).

(3) Measurement uncertainties - the measured value is not the true value. The only thing you know is that very probably the true value lies within the range of two uncertainties (but not necessarily always does so).
    Damn. Should have read this yesterday. Just done my practical today and only wrote down that point. Thanks for your help anyway though! I am extremely extremely jealouse of your offers for physics. UCL is my dream uni. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomesauce)
    Damn. Should have read this yesterday. Just done my practical today and only wrote down that point. Thanks for your help anyway though! I am extremely extremely jealouse of your offers for physics. UCL is my dream uni. :rolleyes:
    I hope that you did well despite mentioning just one point.

As for the offers, all the problem now is meeting the conditions I don't know whether you're applying this year or next, but I do wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaroc)
    I hope that you did well despite mentioning just one point.

As for the offers, all the problem now is meeting the conditions I don't know whether you're applying this year or next, but I do wish you all the best
    Same to you! I'm sure you will get into Oxford (The city of dreaming spires.... :rolleyes:). I wrote down more than one point, but only one from your list. Anyway; I doubt I will get into UCL. I'm in AS and recently got back my first set of results in Chem, physics and maths c1. I got a a b. The b in the easiest maths module C1, so things are not looking too good for an AAA uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.