Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble understanding the Maintence loan stuff It says on directgov student finance calculator that I am entitled to £3900 for my maintenance loan. I have an unconditional offer for UWE starting september 2011 and dont understand how this would be enough to cover my accomodation let alone my living costs. I preferably wanted to live in the student village which is starting at £5,450. Clearly I can not afford this and so will have to consider accomodation in the city so I can try and get a part time job but even still it will be a huge struggle. I am not entitled to a bursery or a grant and I am not relying on huge financial support from my parents. I've been told that I will have my overdraft as well but this will only be a maximum of £500 I dont understand how anyone can afford university who has a family on a middle ground income. Am i missing anything or is everyone in the same boat? x

ReputationRep:
    yep most people are in the same boat.

get a part time job at uni.
    get full time jobs in the holidays.
    apply for scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    Get a summer job?
    I've already saves £3,000 for this reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's pretty unfair if you are on a middle ground income. Especially as they don't take into consideration how many children each family has. Getting one child through uni is one thing but what if you have 3 or 4? Especially if you have more than one at uni at the same time. What Are you supposed to do? Pick your favourite child and only send that one?

ReputationRep:
    I expect to live off about £1000 a year . Really hope I can find a job.

ReputationRep:
    UWE's accomodation is ridiculously overpriced...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zo-flow)
    I'm having trouble understanding the Maintence loan stuff It says on directgov student finance calculator that I am entitled to £3900 for my maintenance loan. I have an unconditional offer for UWE starting september 2011 and dont understand how this would be enough to cover my accomodation let alone my living costs. I preferably wanted to live in the student village which is starting at £5,450. Clearly I can not afford this and so will have to consider accomodation in the city so I can try and get a part time job but even still it will be a huge struggle. I am not entitled to a bursery or a grant and I am not relying on huge financial support from my parents. I've been told that I will have my overdraft as well but this will only be a maximum of £500 I dont understand how anyone can afford university who has a family on a middle ground income. Am i missing anything or is everyone in the same boat? x
    Unfortunately, the student loan and grant are supposed to equal your living expenses entirely, it's supposed to supplement the money that you put towards uni from a job, parents etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's not supposed to cover everything. Just help out. You'll just have to do what the rest of us in that situation do...get accommodation that you can afford, get a full time job in the holidays, work part time term time and take part in every paid experiment that your uni offers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answers. Yeah im saving up throughout summer and fingers crossed get a job whilst i'm there. xx

ReputationRep:
    yeah im in the same situation! only i applied to durham and so i was allocated a college which charges £5000 and i have no choice but to pay it
    looks like im gonna have to get a job too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsst)
    yeah im in the same situation! only i applied to durham and so i was allocated a college which charges £5000 and i have no choice but to pay it
    looks like im gonna have to get a job too
    they all charge the same.

ReputationRep:
    i meant that there is no choice for me. students at other unis can choose were they stay

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.