Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Preparing Questions to ASK at TC interviews... watch

ReputationRep:
    So: Obviously a brilliant idea to have some questions prepared to ask interviewers when you are at a TC interview.

Any suggestions on what these could be/ some examples from those who have already been there...

ReputationRep:
    For those firms who do something other than four six-month seats, ask why they think their other structure is better. Usually gets them discussing for so long that you don't have to worry about asking any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Med2Ky)
    So: Obviously a brilliant idea to have some questions prepared to ask interviewers when you are at a TC interview.

Any suggestions on what these could be/ some examples from those who have already been there...
    I think the "any questions" section of an interview is often overlooked by applicants as an opportunity to shine. It's your opportunity to create a good final impression - unfortunately, some candidates appear so desperate to escape that they ask a token question and then bolt for the door.

I would avoid the following topics:

- their pro bono activities. If you're applying to a commercial firm, then asking a question about a sideline activity doesn't really demonstrate that you're focussed on their core business.

- travel opportunities. Gives the impression you'd rather be backpacking than working.

As for questions to ask, think of those topics you don't like be asked about and direct them at your interviewers eg:

- where does the firm see itself in 5 years time?
    - what do you see as being the key issues facing the industry and how is firm X placed to deal with those?

Those sorts of questions can be particularly powerful where you've been asked the question yourself earlier in the interview i.e. "Earlier you asked me where I saw myself in 10 years time. I said XYZ. What would you say my prospects are if I was successful in obtaining a TC with X?". Such a question shows an awareness of what was asked of you in the interview (i.e. it wasn't just a terrifying blur) and that you have the self confidence to turn it around and ask it of them.

Questions about the industry generally can be good eg "Do you see the rise of LPO [outsourcing of legal work to India etc] as a major development for the commercial legal profession and how do you think that will affect this firm?". At the very least you might get some interesting information which will be of help in other interviews!

If you're feeling brave then ask what they think differentiates their firm from their competitors. Couch it in the right way and it can be a powerful question which demonstrates a level of confidence. Of course, if you stuff it up then you're toast...

Clearly, if you have any specific issues you want to raise then you should.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.