Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Better going to uni knowing people or better without? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cornerstone)
    That's the thing I don't understand about people saying this, surely if you try to be different or reinvent yourself it might make you seem a bit fake no? Plus there's a chance of the past biting you back (eg: uni friends meeting your old friends). I never quite understand when people say that

Well what do you think we mean by "reinvent"? I don't mean that you should lie about your past, like tell people you went to a private school when you didn't, or that you love rock music when you really hate it. I mean that if you got a reputation for being shy and reserved at school and you disliked this image, then you could make an effort not to be shy and reserved at university. Or you had a reputation as a wild child, then you could be a bit more sensible etc etc etc.

I suppose what you need to understand is that the relationship between who you are and who the people around you think you are is not simply a one way street. If all your mates rock up with you at uni and say "hey have you met Brian, he's such a crazy ****er, you should hear about the time he...", then you're basically stuck being stereotyped as that. Whereas if you went by yourself, you could present yourself as a completely calm and sensible person and by the time your mates came to visit, then everyone's "image" of you would have already stuck.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.