Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Scottish Med Schools watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I don't know that significant numbers ever applied to England anyway - why pay when you can have it for free, regardless of what the fees are?
    errr because you get to be in england?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    errr because you get to be in england?
    We're talking about Scottish people here, I think they'd see that as a downside...

ReputationRep:
    We're talking about Scottish people here, I think they'd see that as a downside...
    Only the more backward ones :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Scots aren't going to pay to be in England - LOL!

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I have to say, I'm a little offended by this thread :rolleyes:

I'm just going to go now and sit my "easy" higher chemistry prelim...

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I can't leave this alone by the looks of it...

A-levels are worth 120 points at A, so you have to gain 360 points. Over two years! We gain 392 points over the one year. Plus advanced highers in our sixth. So lets not say the exams are "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, there is no bias towards scottish students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harbour Seal)
    Nah, I can't leave this alone by the looks of it...

A-levels are worth 120 points at A, so you have to gain 360 points. Over two years! We gain 392 points over the one year. Plus advanced highers in our sixth. So lets not say the exams are "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, there is no bias towards scottish students.
    The two systems are so different that you cannot possibly compare the two. an individual can attain a grade to be proud of in each system.

When it comes to medical school, universities have to resolve the two systems to make it fair, not an enviable task by any measure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    The two systems are so different that you cannot possibly compare the two. an individual can attain a grade to be proud of in each system.

When it comes to medical school, universities have to resolve the two systems to make it fair, not an enviable task by any measure
    Yeah, I suppose Sorry

I just hate when people say "Highers are easier than A Levels"... Like someone said before, only 1 in 40 get straight As....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I suppose Sorry

I just hate when people say "Highers are easier than A Levels"... Like someone said before, only 1 in 40 get straight As....
    Don't concern yourself with such trivial arguments that cannot be proven either way

ReputationRep:
    Don't concern yourself with such trivial arguments that cannot be proven either way
    I'm just easily provoked :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    At Higher, around 3% get 5 or more A grades.

At A-level, around 24% get 3 or more A grades.

Only around 11% of Scottish students PASS, at any grade, 5 or more Highers.

5 Highers give you a tougher workload than 3 Alevels, and a bigger hurdle to jump as you can't re-sit the exams (unless you resit the entire course), you can't ask for remarks (except in extenuating circumstances), and you have to retain the entire course in your memory until the final exam.

I know both systems as my children are at state school in Scotland but I know a number of people with children in private schools using A level.... I am amazed at the constant tales of re-sits and remarking (anyone who wants to pay the fee can get a remark, an option which is just not available to us in the Scottish system).

I believe these differences mean that the Scottish system is much more academically rigorous...... and the fact that only 3% of Scottish students achieve 5A shows this.

The fact that almost 25% of A-level students are now able to get 3A has caused a real headache for Uni's as they can no longer tell which students are the very brightest..... and hence the introduction of entrance exams such as UKcat - the function of these exams is to identify the "best" students. Unfortunately Scottish students are also having to sit these, even though our exam system does identify the top few percent (the students the Med schools want).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeandadamsmum)
    At Higher, around 3% get 5 or more A grades.

At A-level, around 24% get 3 or more A grades.

Only around 11% of Scottish students PASS, at any grade, 5 or more Highers.

5 Highers give you a tougher workload than 3 Alevels, and a bigger hurdle to jump as you can't re-sit the exams (unless you resit the entire course), you can't ask for remarks (except in extenuating circumstances), and you have to retain the entire course in your memory until the final exam.

I know both systems as my children are at state school in Scotland but I know a number of people with children in private schools using A level.... I am amazed at the constant tales of re-sits and remarking (anyone who wants to pay the fee can get a remark, an option which is just not available to us in the Scottish system).

I believe these differences mean that the Scottish system is much more academically rigorous...... and the fact that only 3% of Scottish students achieve 5A shows this.

The fact that almost 25% of A-level students are now able to get 3A has caused a real headache for Uni's as they can no longer tell which students are the very brightest..... and hence the introduction of entrance exams such as UKcat - the function of these exams is to identify the "best" students. Unfortunately Scottish students are also having to sit these, even though our exam system does identify the top few percent (the students the Med schools want).
    Are there compulsory subjects that higher students must do, though? The A-level% is that high because of soft subjects. It would be significantly less if it were taken of students who sat Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Are there compulsory subjects that higher students must do, though? The A-level% is that high because of soft subjects. It would be significantly less if it were taken of students who sat Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
    English (and sometimes maths) are compulsory.

I wouldn't know about "soft" subjects - I don't think they are prevalent in Highers and standard subjects tend to be more popular.

ReputationRep:
    We have a smaller range of subjects (at most schools anyway), and fewer with lots of overlap than in the English system, so probably you are right.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Scottish and I wouldn't pay £9k/year to go to an English uni when I could go to a Scottish one for free. It is a pretty big incentive for Scots to stay in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    English (and sometimes maths) are compulsory.

I wouldn't know about "soft" subjects - I don't think they are prevalent in Highers and standard subjects tend to be more popular.
    It depends on individual school policy, my school didn't force anyone to do English or Maths at Higher or any level in 5th year.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any stats comparing the number of Scottish and English applicants and admissions to Scottish med schools?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any stats comparing the number of Scottish and English applicants and admissions to Scottish med schools?
    Doubt it. There might be ones for individual unis, but i've no idea where you'd find them.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it. There might be ones for individual unis, but i've no idea where you'd find them.
    convenient

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen'll be publishing their results at some point, I reckon, but I don't have the inclination to search Pubmed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.