Turn on thread page Beta

Antidepressants label : "Don't drink alcohol". Why? watch

ReputationRep:
    Simple question, all it seems to do is make me drunk a bit quicker so I think its fine to drink.

ReputationRep:
    What drugs? Maybe look it up on tinternet. I'm on fluoxetine and I do drink but not often because I don't like it and alcohol makes me cry.

ReputationRep:
    maybe it's because alcohol is a depressant?

ReputationRep:
    My friend drank while on them and it was like she was really high all evening. It will react differently for different people and they have to give the warning in case someone has a bad reaction, same as with any kind of medicinal drug you may be taking. In most cases you'll be fine to drink but you may suddenly have a bad reaction to it so it is wise to be careful and maybe lay off for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I think I remember looking it up and it having something to do with them effecting the same part of the brain or something? I got really drunk, really quickly when I was taking them (though am normally very much a lightweight anyway) and as alcohol enhances mood it's probably a bad idea to drink much if depressed anyway tbh...

It depends what ones you're on. When I drink after taking them it just makes me feel more drowsy and after waking up with an even bigger hangover!!

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is a depressant. The point of an anti-depressant is that it's an anti-depressant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keziah_X)
    maybe it's because alcohol is a depressant?
    This is the common sense answer; why would you drink something which makes you even more depressed?

But it says that on most drugs- it can sometimes effect the effectiveness of them, surely you can keep yourself from drinking while you're on them?

ReputationRep:
    I drink on them! I get drunk a bit quicker and seem to suffer bad hangovers... Makes me a bit grouchy as well for a day or 2 after but thats about it. Guess it varies on the person and anti depressant...

Alcohol isn't necessarily a depressant, it affects people in different ways

ReputationRep:
    Because the chemical reaction between the antidepressant and the alcohol is dangerous and potentially fatal. If it says don't drink, then don't drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Apart from the way it depresses the central nervous system.

ReputationRep:
    The reason it says 'no alcohol' on a lot of drugs is because a lot are highly soluble in alcohol, and therefore instead of slow release into your body, you get a big dose all at once, hence drowsiness with certain medication. Not sure about anti-depressants though, it's probably fairly likely to do with the effect alcohol has on your brain/emotions which may interfere with the action of the drug.
    Look up the active ingredient maybe OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lol a depressant doesn't mean it makes you depressed, couldn't think of a way to phrase it without using the word depress so straight from google :"A substance that causes sedation and drowsiness. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant."

ReputationRep:
    I'm on Fluoxetine and whenever I drink I get ridiculously drunk ridiculously quickly. Like I can drink a bottle of cider and already be tipsy. Yet before I was on it I could drink as much as I liked and not even feel it.
    I think that is one of the main reasons and also apparently it can stop your AD's from working for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    There could be drug-drug interactions. Like if you take paracetamol with alcohol the alcohol induces enzymes that break down the paracetamol into a toxic product. If it says don't drink, it means don't drink you could end up killing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    As a veteran of drinking on prozac I can say that
    ...it makes me write better poetry, 'relaxes' my morality, and makes me cry like stink for at least 3 days afterwards.

All good for poetry. ALLL GOOOD.:tong:

ReputationRep:
    possibly due to the fact they could be metabolised by the same group of C450 enzymes in the liver and so they will compete for metabolism- leading to an increased half life of the drug (so theres more than there should be left by the time you take the next dose- this could in some cases be bad where there is a narrow therapeutic window) and it will take longer than you expect to get rid of the alcohol from your system.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/he...extBlock194500
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Because it told you not to, do you really need to question the NHS.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.