The Student Room Group

Antidepressants label : "Don't drink alcohol". Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
are antidepressants actually the opposite of depressant dugs like a type of stimulant? or is the name purely because they are to help with depression as in the condition so anti-depression? I know this isn't exactly on topic but this thread has made me wonder
Reply 21
Original post by boba
are antidepressants actually the opposite of depressant dugs like a type of stimulant? or is the name purely because they are to help with depression as in the condition so anti-depression? I know this isn't exactly on topic but this thread has made me wonder

i wonder this too
Reply 22
any remarks?
Antidepressants and alcohol act on the same set of chemical stimulants in the brain, which can impair the brain's control over the body, causing drowsiness etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by boba

Original post by rooney1000
i wonder this too

I think they are. Antidepressants often contain NRIs & NDRIs, which enhance neurotransmission, which would suggest they're a type of stimulant. Someone might need to clarify this though because I'm not 100% sure. :tongue:
Alcohol is a depressant - GCSE Biology :tongue:
Reply 26
Original post by LornaSandison1
Antidepressants and alcohol act on the same set of chemical stimulants in the brain, which can impair the brain's control over the body, causing drowsiness etc.

But my point that I'm maintaining is that it doesn't actually counter the effects of the anti depressant at all , does it?
Apart from making you more tired for the night that you are drinking.
But my point that I'm maintaining is that it doesn't actually counter the effects of the anti depressant at all , does it?
Apart from making you more tired for the night that you are drinking.

I've heard that combining the two can worsen depression, but I'm not sure of the science behind that, sorry.

In some serious cases, taking the two together can lead to stroke etc something to do with the combination of certain chemicals in antidepressants and chemicals in alcohol/certain types of foods. Again, not sure on the science. :wink:
I thought it was recommended to avoid because it's bad for your liver.

What my psychiatrist said. :dontknow:
Original post by LornaSandison1

Not really.

The effects of alcohol are generally from its interaction with GABA receptors which are inhibitory in nature and also from preventing LTP by reducing glutamate activation of NMDA receptors.

Anti-depressants generally play with serotonin. A few others also include noradrenaline.

Original post by boba

Kind of.

Serotonin = excitatory.
GABA = inhibitory.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
well i should just give up alcohol then
Reply 31
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Not really.

The effects of alcohol are generally from its interaction with GABA receptors which are inhibitory in nature and also from preventing LTP by reducing glutamate activation of NMDA receptors.

Anti-depressants generally play with serotonin. A few others also include noradrenaline.

Kind of.

Serotonin = excitatory.
GABA = inhibitory.

sounds like someone studies chemistry :wink:
sounds like someone studies chemistry :wink:

Nope. Psychology.
Reply 33
i dont understand how alcohol is a depressant, yet people drink it to be happy and have a good time, not to make themselves depressed
i dont understand how alcohol is a depressant, yet people drink it to be happy and have a good time, not to make themselves depressed

It's a depressant that it physiologically dampens the nervous system. This is especially so in the frontal lobes which leads to disinhibition which is generally associated with 'having a good time'.

It's not a depressant in the sense that it makes you depressed. However, that isn't to say that it is not associated with precipitating depressive symptoms though.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Not really.

Serotonin = excitatory.
GABA = inhibitory.

Thanks for correcting me. My knowledge is a bit vague on this subject :tongue:
Alcohol will affect the way in which your anti-depressants work. What's the point in going to see a doctor, being prescribed something then not following the instructions on how to take it? They don't just put warning labels on products for the fun of it.
Reply 37
Original post by parpirate
Alcohol will affect the way in which your anti-depressants work. What's the point in going to see a doctor, being prescribed something then not following the instructions on how to take it? They don't just put warning labels on products for the fun of it.

well i didnt ask to be bullied which has led to my depression did i?
Reply 38
You can, it says to avoid alcohol. But small amounts is fine. The reason is because Alcohol is a depressant, so when on ANTI depressants, you should avoid it as it may counteract what the tablets are doing. One of my friends is on them atm, and he still drinks, but in small amounts and not often. I suggest you do the same, as it isn't good for you. Wait for the tablets to finish before you go on a night out or drinking large quantities with friends.
Reply 39
Meh, I get drunk pretty much every weekend along with taking them and had blood tests last month, my liver figures were perfectly fine... When they change I will stop drinking alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending