Turn on thread page Beta

Currently on gap year! Student finance application 2011/12 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, im hoping someone could help me out, i have been looking through previous threads and i just cant find anyone with the same situation as me.

basically last year i applied for student finance but didnt end up going to uni in the end cos i didnt get the grades. i left my student finance untouched until today when i tried to reapply for student finance for this upcoming academic year. then i realised that when i tried to make a new account it told me that one already existed, i logged in and it showed me last years application for exeter 2010/11 and one for this year exeter 2011/12. there is no option for me to change my course or uni.

im just scared that student finance has paid the uni tuition fees when i havent even been there, even though they never paid me my maintenance loan but i can never be sure if they did pay exeter tuition fees.

i need to make an application for student finance to lancaster this year as a first year and im just stuck as to what to do. the website isnt helping at all and wont let me change course. it also doesnt help that apparently they are sending me a declaration form to sign .

helpp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IJC)
    Hey guys, im hoping someone could help me out, i have been looking through previous threads and i just cant find anyone with the same situation as me.

basically last year i applied for student finance but didnt end up going to uni in the end cos i didnt get the grades. i left my student finance untouched until today when i tried to reapply for student finance for this upcoming academic year. then i realised that when i tried to make a new account it told me that one already existed, i logged in and it showed me last years application for exeter 2010/11 and one for this year exeter 2011/12. there is no option for me to change my course or uni.

im just scared that student finance has paid the uni tuition fees when i havent even been there, even though they never paid me my maintenance loan but i can never be sure if they did pay exeter tuition fees.

i need to make an application for student finance to lancaster this year as a first year and im just stuck as to what to do. the website isnt helping at all and wont let me change course. it also doesnt help that apparently they are sending me a declaration form to sign .

helpp?
    I doubt they would have paid the university anything, as you still need to confirm your attendance when you get there, which you obviously didn't do.

You need to alert Student Finance (ring them or send them a Change of Circumstances form) and tell them to cancel your 2010/11 application, as it will prevent you from making another application while this one is still active.

Also, DON'T sign anything that they send you relating to your old application, as this will complicate matters even more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, I was just going to ring them at some point

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the same situation

I applied with the paper forms last year, did you?

You will have to ring them up and cancel your 2010/11 application. Then once that has been cancelled you will be able to apply for 2011/12. Its quite complicated though if you've already applied, I need to ring them up again and reset my parents passwords because apparently they have passwords (they don't). Argh

ReputationRep:
    this happened to me, i rang them last week because when i went to apply for 2011/2012 it said i was going into my second year.
    the fees hadn't been paid to the uni, and dont get paid until the uni confirm your attendance, so i wouldnt worry about that.
    all they did was cancel my application from last year, so i can now start afresh, i was on the phone less than 2 minutes, its no hassle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandcoffee)
    I'm also in the same situation

I applied with the paper forms last year, did you?

You will have to ring them up and cancel your 2010/11 application. Then once that has been cancelled you will be able to apply for 2011/12. Its quite complicated though if you've already applied, I need to ring them up again and reset my parents passwords because apparently they have passwords (they don't). Argh
    Hi I'm in the same position as you. I've cancelled my last years app because i missed my grades. But do you know how to proceed from there and what I have to do to apply for student finance for 2011/2012? Also, why do your parents passwords need resetting, I never even knew mine had one. I aaplied on paper last year also as was advised to after my online one didn't work and so will probably do the same this year. I'd appreciate any help you may give!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tracey88)
    Hi I'm in the same position as you. I've cancelled my last years app because i missed my grades. But do you know how to proceed from there and what I have to do to apply for student finance for 2011/2012? Also, why do your parents passwords need resetting, I never even knew mine had one. I aaplied on paper last year also as was advised to after my online one didn't work and so will probably do the same this year. I'd appreciate any help you may give!
    You can't apply with the paper forms this year, it has to be online. Which is annoying. I preferred it on paper.

Errm I guess you just log onto your account as usual.

When I applied, my parents got letters with their customer reference numbers on, and then it said that their passwords to their account will be sent in a seperate letter. We never got this letter. So when I've tried to log onto my parents details bit on my online application, I can't cos I don't have their passwords, or an email address associated with their accounts (we didn't have to put one down when I applied last year). So I'm gonna have to ring them up and sort it out! Argh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaandcoffee)
    You can't apply with the paper forms this year, it has to be online. Which is annoying. I preferred it on paper.

Errm I guess you just log onto your account as usual.

When I applied, my parents got letters with their customer reference numbers on, and then it said that their passwords to their account will be sent in a seperate letter. We never got this letter. So when I've tried to log onto my parents details bit on my online application, I can't cos I don't have their passwords, or an email address associated with their accounts (we didn't have to put one down when I applied last year). So I'm gonna have to ring them up and sort it out! Argh
    You can apply on paper this year too, they have uplaoded the paper app forms online today so you can print it out yourself
    Oh right okay, i'll have to ask my parents about their ref number then.
    And thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tracey88)
    You can apply on paper this year too, they have uplaoded the paper app forms online today so you can print it out yourself
    Oh right okay, i'll have to ask my parents about their ref number then.
    And thanks for your help!
    Oh right? Well I'll do it online anyways, it seems a bit easier this way. Just need to ring them up again... Ahh effort.

ReputationRep:
    OHMYGOD.

This resetting my parents passwords thing is bugging the hell out of me! I rang up with my mum a few days ago to reset hers; fine. But they weren't sent to the email address. Just got the new passwords sent in the post. Tried to log in for her, but it wouldn't work.

So! Tried ringing up, resetting my parents passwords. At first she said she couldn't do it without my parents there, but after me getting a bit annoyed (cos my parents work such weird hours, I mostly can't ring up SF to reset it all with my parents there!) so she did it for me. I gave them a new email address cos I thought the other one wasn't working. Well, there are no passwords sent to this new email address.

I ring up again, to clarify that they are going to be sent by email. The lady couldn't tell me, because my parents weren't there. Fair enough, I guess, but all she could suggest is to go onto 'find out my log in details' and reset my parents passwords on there (I can now cos they have an email address associated to their account'.

So I do that. No email.

All I can assume is that the reset passwords will be sent by letter again? So I will have in total, 4 letters, for each of the passwords I reset... Ugh! I just hope that they work, cos when they didn't with my mum's ones that i got this morning she was pretty angry.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position but today I received a letter telling me of my payment details for my second year at Birmingham... LOL.....even though I obviously didn't attend.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like we are in the same boat! However I have my cancelled my application from last yr as obv I didnt get my grades. So I cancelled in 1st March 2011 but whether this is good or bad they are paying me nearly 180 pounds as maintenance grants although they are taking back my tuition fees from last year. What the hell! Are they crazy????

ReputationRep:
    Student finance are a total nightmare, weve had similar problems since i returned to uni last september, my son also started, so it was (only a little) confusing. But they could not figure it out. phonecalls, photocopies of details etc, back and forth for ages. just 2 weeks ago we both finally got some money out of them, thanks to one of the representatives on the end of the phone figuring it out. You pretty much have to just keep ringing and asking again and again. my partner now knows the number of by heart shes rung it that many times. If you think you are entitled to something (as you sound you are) then your probably right. Just keep ringing until you get someone who is 'nice'. - It took us 7 months, but it was worth it!!!
    Good luck! - they still havent paid up though, just confirmed they will give me some money :/

ReputationRep:
    Finally!!! I've been looking for an answer to my question for ages!!!!!!

I'm in the position that I applied for student finance last year, didn't get into uni, and now can't put in a new application for next year because the one from last year is still active.

it looks like i should just call the student loans company so they can cancel my application. You really should be able to cancel it online, it's ridiculous!!

ReputationRep:
    Told them to cancel my last years student finance account as i didnt get in uni and still says account active and cant make a new account. What the hell man, what can I do then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singhisking2k)
    Told them to cancel my last years student finance account as i didnt get in uni and still says account active and cant make a new account. What the hell man, what can I do then?
    You can't make a new account you have to use your old one so you will have to call them to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Such a nightmare!

Really frustrating going through the process of getting new passwords sent out.

My dad doesn't speak much English at all and is probably 70% deaf. Still, then insisted that he be on the phone which turned out to be an extremely humiliating ordeal for all of us.

At least the passwords were sent out correctly....

*Edit: Now I can't even log into my Account, fantastic!

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.