Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Cis-platin has the 'square planar' shape, whereas copper with four chlorides around it has a tetrahedral shape, according to a mark scheme I have. I don't understand why there is a difference or why the square planar shape occurs as I haven't encountered it before. Someone shed some light on complex ions with four monodentate ligands?

Much love

ReputationRep:
    I think you just have to remember that cis/trans-platin is an example of square planar, at A2 its not necessery to know why.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to know why at A level, but its to do with the electronic configuration of Pt(II) vs Cu(II). The first is d8 and the second is d9 and this affects geometry. d8 metal centres with four ligands often form square planar complexes

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As has been said, you don't need to know for A level. The reason square planar complexes occur is due to the way the metal d orbitals get lowered/raised in energy as a result of interactions with ligands. Different geometeries cause different arrangements of orbitals energy wise, and then the number of electrons you have to fill them with determines which configuration is adopted.

eg:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.