Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is my first post here, so go easy. =P
    I'm currently in a huge kafuffle in that i'm torn between two universities to put as my first choice, Hertfordshire being one of them. I'm pretty sure that with Hertfordshire it was down to the accommodation that really put me off, whereas the other university has an amazing campus/accommodation. The course talks however, left me feeling really excited for the course with Herts.
    What i would like to know, is does Hertfordshire have a good reputation for Psychology? And any other information related would be helpful. (:

New question:
    (Sorry, i know i already posted it, but thought it would be more helpful in the first post!)
    Sorry to bring up this thread again. But i'm having a panic - how good are Hertfordshire in terms of getting experience in the field etc?
    I'm looking to do a Postgraduate course after, but am getting rather concerned due to how important experience is when applying for them, yet Hertfordshire only do 4 weeks of work experience.
    Is there external experience you can do? And is it difficult to get in to?
    Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    What other University have you applied to?

I live 45mins away from the University, I have grown up with UH lol seriously since Secondary school i've had countless school trips to the University and i've gone to more than 5 open days. I've seen both campuses and in my opinion De hav looks a lot better, but then again college lane has the forum etc.

I remember a few years back when Herts was a university that everyone doubted and according to ranking it wasn't all that great, but i knew, knowing the university for so long that it would one day be one of the best. Herts has done succeedingly well over the passed 5 years i would say being 90th on rankings and being dissed by TSR members to being ranked 41 in the country and with what UH have installed for the next few years, many people will be shocked at how a university from the very bottom can make it to the very top.

Psychology for Herts is ranked 53 according to the complete university guide, however from myself and i as i was very interested in psychology, the department there is amazing, teaching from all the reviews i've read and the lectures i've met are great too. Personally i would take the opportunity in trusting UH.

Look at Unistats as well. 68% of psychology undergrads come out with a 2.1 and 13% with a first.

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/studentAchievement.do
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...e.htm?ipg=8727

Have a look for yourself and if you want to know anything about Herts, just let me know. I may not be a University student yet, but i've known UH since i was 12 lol

X

ReputationRep:
    I made Hertfordshire my firm choice yesterday, haha.
    But in case you're curious, i'd also applied to (and received offers from) Plymouth, Nottingham Trent, Hull and UEA (University of East Anglia).

Hull is my insurance choice, as i didn't really have a lot of choice, as it was the only one with lower entry requirements, haha!

Mhm. I'm still not sure what to do about accommodation. It's a kinda awkward thing, as either way, i'll only be in campus accommodation for a year. Any idea which you'll be staying in yet? (Saw your topic!)
    Yeah, i go past it almost every other weekend visiting my Grandad, so i thought i may aswell have a look at it when i first started thinking about universities - very glad i did.

Yeah, i saw that on the University Guide the other day. I was really surprised at the difference between Hertfordshire and UEA on there (they were the two i couldn't decide between as to which i would put as my firm choice): UEA was 71 or something on the list? Was very surprised there haha. And Hull was even higher than UEA!

Thanks for the links though. (:
    x

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I went on lots of trips there in secondary school as well, and during one we got to experience what a lecture was like, I went to the psychology one and it was actually pretty interesting, the lecturer was really good and passionate about the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, it does. (:
    Yes, i think that was the main thing that made me choose to make their firm - it was the only university i visited that after the subject talk, i felt really excited about doing Psychology (and considering how enthusiastic i already am about the subject, it isn't all that difficult...), enthusiasm certainly came through from Hertfordshire, whereas other universities it was pretty average.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm a final year student in BSc Psychology & all the lecturers are pretty cool, the classes are spread out and rely more on self study...but they are kinda strict in the exams. If you don't like the accommodation, stay off campus XD It's cheaper by way loads...but if you don't mind a bit of noise (& fun) for your 1st year, take the halls. You won't regret it (Oh De Hav is awesome (& pricey too) but will be bothersome cuz you'd have to take the shuttle bus each time; majority of the classes are in college lane)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitcheliza)
    Hey I'm a final year student in BSc Psychology & all the lecturers are pretty cool, the classes are spread out and rely more on self study...but they are kinda strict in the exams. If you don't like the accommodation, stay off campus XD It's cheaper by way loads...but if you don't mind a bit of noise (& fun) for your 1st year, take the halls. You won't regret it (Oh De Hav is awesome (& pricey too) but will be bothersome cuz you'd have to take the shuttle bus each time; majority of the classes are in college lane)
    Thank you! It's a relief to hear from a student!
    Ooh! I do worry about this self study stuff. I'm a bit obsessive about ensuring i have the right information and stuff, and totally panic that i haven't got enough information etc. But then again, that is what having to near enough recite information for Psychology exams (GCSE and A Level) has done to me. xD;
    Anndddd i'm guessing it doesn't work anything like that?
    I'm thinking i may aswell go on campus for my first year. Thinking Roberts Way (one with the sink, haha!) sounds alright. (: I'll try to put that for my first choice and then de hav as second. I'm not a huge fan of partying etc. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind, but i'd rather have a peaceful night sleep anyday. (I promise i'm not a killjoy, i just value sleep a lot. ;>_> )

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bring up this thread again. But i'm having a panic - how good are Hertfordshire in terms of getting experience in the field etc?
    I'm looking to do a Postgraduate course after, but am getting rather concerned due to how important experience is when applying for them, yet Hertfordshire only do 4 weeks of work experience.
    Is there external experience you can do? And is it difficult to get in to?
    Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper Flowers)
    Thank you! It's a relief to hear from a student!
    Ooh! I do worry about this self study stuff. I'm a bit obsessive about ensuring i have the right information and stuff, and totally panic that i haven't got enough information etc. But then again, that is what having to near enough recite information for Psychology exams (GCSE and A Level) has done to me. xD;
    Anndddd i'm guessing it doesn't work anything like that?
    I'm thinking i may aswell go on campus for my first year. Thinking Roberts Way (one with the sink, haha!) sounds alright. (: I'll try to put that for my first choice and then de hav as second. I'm not a huge fan of partying etc. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind, but i'd rather have a peaceful night sleep anyday. (I promise i'm not a killjoy, i just value sleep a lot. ;>_> )
    Yay! Roberts Way's where I'm staying without the sinks though. Did you come for the room shows? You might have seen my room :P Oh if you like sleep, Roberts Way's the way to go (apart from the occasional noise from the neighbours, depends on your luck).

Check with the Masters supervisor. Each course has different requirements (Some just require you to attend an interview and 'win' them over with your conviction) If all goes well with my grades, I will be doing a MSc in Research soon If the 4-weeks period is too short, you can try applying by yourself (The university does provide career support - which includes long internships) However, if you are an exceptional student, work experience might not be necessary at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitcheliza)
    Yay! Roberts Way's where I'm staying without the sinks though. Did you come for the room shows? You might have seen my room :P Oh if you like sleep, Roberts Way's the way to go (apart from the occasional noise from the neighbours, depends on your luck).

Check with the Masters supervisor. Each course has different requirements (Some just require you to attend an interview and 'win' them over with your conviction) If all goes well with my grades, I will be doing a MSc in Research soon If the 4-weeks period is too short, you can try applying by yourself (The university does provide career support - which includes long internships) However, if you are an exceptional student, work experience might not be necessary at all
    Oh no, i'd decided against after i'd posted that! It's my third choice i think...putting Fern or Butler as my first choice now...This has added again to my indecisiveness!
    On the open day i only saw Telford Court - it's the only one they would show us! Seeing it certainly helped me eliminate one choice!

Oh i see. Nice! I've heard the MSc in Research is a good way to go; a lot of people like that from what i've read round on this website.
    I read somewhere on here, goodness knows from how long ago, but someone saying there may be an option to do a year abroad in this course?
    Or was i hallucinating? Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, i'd decided against after i'd posted that! It's my third choice i think...putting Fern or Butler as my first choice now...This has added again to my indecisiveness!
    On the open day i only saw Telford Court - it's the only one they would show us! Seeing it certainly helped me eliminate one choice!

Oh i see. Nice! I've heard the MSc in Research is a good way to go; a lot of people like that from what i've read round on this website.
    I read somewhere on here, goodness knows from how long ago, but someone saying there may be an option to do a year abroad in this course?
    Or was i hallucinating? Haha.
    Lol! If you want to have fun, go for the halls Not Chapman Kitchen is way too small (a bit bigger than Roberts Way's though). (Ooh, Fern has a tv room btw, but Butler's popular too)

Yes, it's possible to do a year abroad Have a word with the course administrator to find out more about this :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I have just seen this post and i had similar uni choices! and have got it down to plymouth and hertfordshire. How are you finding hertfordshire and the accomodation? Do the teachers support you well etc ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SASII)
    Hey! I have just seen this post and i had similar uni choices! and have got it down to plymouth and hertfordshire. How are you finding hertfordshire and the accomodation? Do the teachers support you well etc ? Thanks
    Plymouth was my next choice, strangely enough!

I love the uni itself, i've made some great friends there, and the forum is great. As far as the accomodation goes, i would say it's ok. It's still a bit hard with one shower between eight people (i'm in Roberts Way), but in all fairness, it doesn't get that bad at all (compared to what i was expecting). Part of wishes i went for Telford Court, but then i could be slightly biased in a) that's where my friends are, b) it's nearer the forum, and c) it is nicer, however, i think if i was there i would never be able to sleep! If you have any questions about either of those feel free to ask. (:

I would say in terms of the course...It wasn't what i was expecting fully. The Social and Cognitive lecturers are brilliant, as are the developmental ones. Unfortunately my favourite area is the biological side of Psychology, and i found the lecturer that took us for our first year wasn't the best (i think this is a difficult one in that a lot of people find they either love or hate that module, and if they dislike it, it's a lot harder to understand, or at least want to try), as if you think there are some people there who haven't done Biology for a good 2 years, at least, and a lot of people got lost. But i think this is more down to personal motivation - if you took A level Biology, you should be fine, or at least AS. (And also i heard AQA Psychology cover some of what we did.) Also, this year your grade is based purely on "coursework", which were quizzes online and a quiz at the end of the year in the lecture.

The other criticism i have is there are two modules which i feel aren't the most beneficial...This semester we have to do a module called Psychology in Action, which is a LOT better than a module called Academic Mind we had to do in our first. Psychology in Action looks at the opportunities available in Psychology, and it was really good the week we had a Forensic Psychologist and a Clinical Psychologist come in and talk to us. It was nice to hear it from the point of view of people who have had to go through the process. And it also covers other standard aspects such as CV's, placements etc. However, Academic Mind, i felt was a total waste of time. I'm not sure if i'm slightly biased due to my dislike of the person who took a lot of the lectures, but it really didn't teach us anything. The only week that was really worthwhile was teaching us how to reference, which in my opinion should have been taught way earlier than it was.

In terms of support etc, in our first semester we had tutorials every other week. You're put into small tutor groups (a group of 13 was considered big), and they would just see how everyone was doing, ask if there were any concers etc. This semester there's been a lot fewer tutorials, but they have always made sure to have them when it's close to a big piece of work being due in (for example our Developmental Essay which was coursework) to check how we're doing. The problem is, i think it comes as a shock to people (it did for me), how independent they do expect you to be. I think it was a shock to the system in the first semester, but now it's not so bad. You are always free to e-mail your tutors if you need anything though, and they are quick with any replies.

They aren't the best organised, but i do feel that they will improve a lot next year, i think a lot of what they've done with us this year is all new, so were waiting to hear feedback from it. As i said, the Social, Cognitive, and Developmental modules are brilliant in my opinion, and the lecturers are really good for them. So don't let my criticisms bring the overall view of the university down.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. (:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your in depth response it helped so much!
    Sorry to badger you but a quick question about the developmental aspect and work experience. Do you know whether they have a good base for developmental studies as in my third year i'd like to go into working on the relationship between mothers and children and whether they are good in this field?
    As well as this I'd like to know whether they have good work experience opportunities? As ideally i'd like to do work experience for a year and so would like a good place.
    Thank you for your help so far
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SASII)
    Thank you for your in depth response it helped so much!
    Sorry to badger you but a quick question about the developmental aspect and work experience. Do you know whether they have a good base for developmental studies as in my third year i'd like to go into working on the relationship between mothers and children and whether they are good in this field?
    As well as this I'd like to know whether they have good work experience opportunities? As ideally i'd like to do work experience for a year and so would like a good place.
    Thank you for your help so far
    x
    You're welcome! Glad it helped. (:
    And you're not badgering at all!
    Hm. As for that one, i'm really not sure. The problem is, we've only just really been started to be told about placements etc, so all of it is a bit unclear. But, from what i can gather, we do a six week placement at the end of our second year, and that's the general placement opportunity as part of the course - you can chose to do a year abroad (which is more going to school in another country more than anything from what i can tell) or organise one yourself.
    And with the developmental research, i'm afraid i'm probably not the best help. All i can say is your best bet is to look through on the website (i'll see if i can find the link) where all of the lecturers are listed and it tends to tell you about their fields of interest, which would give you the best indication of what may be going on by your third year - i would say bear in mind that the third year modules change every year, and this year we were asked if there are any we really wanted that weren't on there, and to put them forward for consideration, so i'd assume they'll do that in all years.
    I would say that generally you're left to your own devices in your third year, and to also remember you are close to London, which may have a lot of advantages in what sort of facilities are available in terms of where you could go on a placement, or potential places to help assist with research etc.

Here is a list of research interests for the staff, hope it helps!
    Research Interests of Staff

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! I'm pretty sure i'm going to put herts as my first option now! so thank you and good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SASII)
    Thank you very much! I'm pretty sure i'm going to put herts as my first option now! so thank you and good luck with your studies!
    I got one more essay due and 3 more exams and then I'm like finished XD it feels so weird!

sorry just felt like telling you

ReputationRep:
    haha !! well good luck with your exams! im sure youll do amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SASII)
    You are very welcome! Oh wow! Glad to hear it. ;D
    Thanks, you too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.