Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys seriously need help.

I can't decide whether to go to Imperial - maths with statistics for finance or
    LSE- actuarial science.

I want to be an actuary but then I am thinking doing a degree in imperial will give me a better background (as in higher ranking and demanding course) and I can do a Msc in imperial later to get the exams done.

But one of my friends who is doing the degree I want to do in imperial said i better off going to LSE, so I am stuck

Also I am worried abt if I go to LSE, would I narrow down my career path too soon cuz I know I want to be actuary but future is always uncertain...

PLZ!!! help me out here !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony_07)
    Hey guys seriously need help.

I can't decide whether to go to Imperial - maths with statistics for finance or
    LSE- actuarial science.

I want to be an actuary but then I am thinking doing a degree in imperial will give me a better background (as in higher ranking and demanding course) and I can do a Msc in imperial later to get the exams done.

But one of my friends who is doing the degree I want to do in imperial said i better off going to LSE, so I am stuck

Also I am worried abt if I go to LSE, would I narrow down my career path too soon cuz I know I want to be actuary but future is always uncertain...

PLZ!!! help me out here !!!
    I'm not too familiar with the course at Imperial but I'm currently holding an offer for Actuarial Science from LSE. I shared your concern about the course narrowing down my career opportunities, but from what I've heard, not only from LSE but from other universities aswell, is that many graduates from Actuarial Science courses go on to a wide range of careers, for example accounting, statisticians, investment bankers and traders. Plus at the Cass Business School open day I asked your queston to the head of the Actuarial Science department and he said their graduates all go on to a wide range of careers, two even became professional poker players! Plus having the LSE name on ur CV is definitely going to be useful if you're looking to get a job in the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seans443)
    I'm not too familiar with the course at Imperial but I'm currently holding an offer for Actuarial Science from LSE. I shared your concern about the course narrowing down my career opportunities, but from what I've heard, not only from LSE but from other universities aswell, is that many graduates from Actuarial Science courses go on to a wide range of careers, for example accounting, statisticians, investment bankers and traders. Plus at the Cass Business School open day I asked your queston to the head of the Actuarial Science department and he said their graduates all go on to a wide range of careers, two even became professional poker players! Plus having the LSE name on ur CV is definitely going to be useful if you're looking to get a job in the city.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Basically, I heard form my friend, they just do lots of maths that isn't really business related. He told me that even some of his friends, who really want to be in banking, are missing lectures to go to other financial lectures. ( not sure how they do it though)

That's a good news! I just hope I would go into a course that gives me the most advantage in the future and apparently, some actuarial firms don't like ppl doing actuarial courses in uni? well, 'Some employers are less enthusiastic than others about employing actuarial science graduates, so you may wish to seek the views of your favoured employers.' - that was on the actuarial profession website.

Also, to be honest, I like maths and now I am thinking will the maths in this course be less than what I want, because I still want to learn more abt maths bt if I pick imperial that might slow my career path for 2-4 yrs right??

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Basically, I heard form my friend, they just do lots of maths that isn't really business related. He told me that even some of his friends, who really want to be in banking, are missing lectures to go to other financial lectures. ( not sure how they do it though)

That's a good news! I just hope I would go into a course that gives me the most advantage in the future and apparently, some actuarial firms don't like ppl doing actuarial courses in uni? well, 'Some employers are less enthusiastic than others about employing actuarial science graduates, so you may wish to seek the views of your favoured employers.' - that was on the actuarial profession website.

Also, to be honest, I like maths and now I am thinking will the maths in this course be less than what I want, because I still want to learn more abt maths bt if I pick imperial that might slow my career path for 2-4 yrs right??
    I also meant to add, on the stats department page on the LSE website it says there are three courses all with the same first year and you can transfer between the three of them at the end of first year. So after a year if you think Actuarial Science isn't the course for you, you can switch to Business Maths and Statistics or Statistics with Finance, which might be more beneficial if you want to go into banking?

I don't think the course at Imperial would slow your career path atall, after all its a very respected degree at one of the top universities in the country. In my opinion both courses would make you very employable in the future as they're both at highly ranked universities with plenty of contacts in the city of London. So if I was in your shoes I'd pick the one I think i would enjoy most, as if you enjoy it you'll be more likely to do well in it. Because unless you get at least a 2:1, the chances of you getting a top job in the future will be hugely reduced. Or even go to visit the two universities and see which atmosphere and surrounding area you like best, that might also aid your decision?

ReputationRep:
    I also meant to add, on the stats department page on the LSE website it says there are three courses all with the same first year and you can transfer between the three of them at the end of first year. So after a year if you think Actuarial Science isn't the course for you, you can switch to Business Maths and Statistics or Statistics with Finance, which might be more beneficial if you want to go into banking?

I don't think the course at Imperial would slow your career path atall, after all its a very respected degree at one of the top universities in the country. In my opinion both courses would make you very employable in the future as they're both at highly ranked universities with plenty of contacts in the city of London. So if I was in your shoes I'd pick the one I think i would enjoy most, as if you enjoy it you'll be more likely to do well in it. Because unless you get at least a 2:1, the chances of you getting a top job in the future will be hugely reduced. Or even go to visit the two universities and see which atmosphere and surrounding area you like best, that might also aid your decision?
    OK, thanks!
    I was worry abt slowing me down because you don't get any exemptions from imperial at all, or 1 or 2 I think.

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks!
    I was worry abt slowing me down because you don't get any exemptions from imperial at all, or 1 or 2 I think.
    From the actuarial exams? I suppose you've got a point. If you're CERTAIN you want to be an actuary then you might be best doing an Actuarial Science degree. But if you want to go into other areas of the financial industry I think both degrees equip you pretty well for that.

ReputationRep:
    From the actuarial exams? I suppose you've got a point. If you're CERTAIN you want to be an actuary then you might be best doing an Actuarial Science degree. But if you want to go into other areas of the financial industry I think both degrees equip you pretty well for that.
    thanks for the advice, need to think abt that. I just can't make up my mind. Might flip a coin lol.

Where you going btw??

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice, need to think abt that. I just can't make up my mind. Might flip a coin lol.

Where you going btw??
    Yeah i suppose thats always an option if you really can't make up your mind lol. I'm not certain where I'm going yet, leaning towards Actuarial Science at LSE though. Who knows, I might even see you there in September

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i suppose thats always an option if you really can't make up your mind lol. I'm not certain where I'm going yet, leaning towards Actuarial Science at LSE though. Who knows, I might even see you there in September
    hahahaha. cool

ReputationRep:
    I'm a international student.I would like to study actuarial science in the university as well.I got offers from LSE City Leicester UEA and Kent.I have to choose one of these for firm and one for insurance next week but I'm not sure which university is the best to go.As it can be seen by everyone that the reputation and the ranking of LSE are much better than in City.My friends suggest me to firm LSE.However,as far as I'm concerned,the actuarial science course that in cass is much more professional than in LSE.Likewise,there are 8 exams that can be exempted in cass which LSE can't.I would like to
    become an actuary after graduate so I think I need to go the fastest way to finish all the exams.So,I think cass will be the best choice without thinking the ranking of city.Thus,how about my insurance choice?Should I put LSE?The offer is AAA plus 7 in IELTS of each component,which is pretty hard.I'm not confident with it.Especially in reading.Can someone give me some advices?On the other hand,there are two things that I'm worrying about.First,the employment.I'm not quite sure how's cass reputation in my own country.LSE will be more famous properly.Second,the offer that was given by city is A*AA.My AS grade was AAAA.Therefore,I need to retake Maths in order to get an A* but I'm a bit worried about it.If I still can't get an A* which means I can't obtain what they want.This is really dangerous.Seriously,could anyone please tell me what to do?Thanks a lot!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2014

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.