Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

POLL : Gay rights : what if you had two dads? watch

• View Poll Results: What if you had two dads?
    agree with it
    20.29%
    disagree
    37.68%
    wouldn't effect my mental and social upbringing
    42.03%

ReputationRep:
    There are articles reporting studies which confirm that sexual orientation is "hardwired" in the New Scientist. I can't link because you need a subscription but if anyone has one, it's easy to find the articles.

I agree that gays raising children is unnatural though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
    that's your definition of bigoted NOT MINE...say what you want...i think something is nasty so that makes me a bigot OK....
    NOT my definition, it's the dictionary definition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordenfruitbat)
    I think you'll find that thinking gay's are disgusting is bigoted... as Lewis said.
    NOT TO ME...i don't trouble gays,nor am i ever around gays, i just think its disgusting...SO WHAT..you will never change me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    I do not understand where people get this animal kingdom argument from.

When was the last time you saw a lion pride consisting entirely of males?

When was the last time you saw two bulls being inclined to raise an orphaned calf?

When a male frog accidentally tries to mate with another male frog, the male on the receiving end emits a special cry to inform the other frog of his mistake.

In fact, some research shows that humans are one of the only animals that partake in sexual activity simply for recreation.
    The animal kingdom argument comes from research... You might not see a male animal jumping on top of another one all the time but it does happen just because you haven't seen it happen doesnt mean it doesn't happer.... Homosexuality is about love not just sex

ReputationRep:
    How is it not? Finding the act of being gay being disgusting, would surely mean you would find all gay people disgusting right? Homosexuality is not a fetish, you wouldn't say being straight is a fetish right?.... O_o
    As I said earlier, I don't care what people get up to in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

Yes homosexuality is a fetish, it deviates from what "normal" sex is, ie; one man and one woman having vaginal sex. All other forms, oral, anal, BDSM, w/e you can think of, are done merely for fun.

And I personally find the idea of one man penetrating another man via the anus to be disgusting, sorry if that upsets you.

I do not have a problem with gays as individuals, I believe they should be able to, in general, have a normal life in every other aspect of their lives if they want to, should not be discriminated against when searching for a job for example. They should not be locked up for being gay, and should be allowed to have relationships.

I draw the line at raising children, children should be raised, if possible, by one man and one woman, preferably married.

Single mothers would never have chosen to of been in that position, no one wants to be a lone parent, because it so so much more difficult, yes, people turn out all right, but it's not preferable.

ReputationRep:
    I would kill myself! Not because I am against gay rights, but because I have had a dad and a step dad, both turned out to be pricks and ruined my family - twice :'(

My mother is a vital part of my life. Maybe it's just the dad/step dad I have had were awful people and my mum turned out to be a great person. Alas, I don't think I'd survive with two fathers!

ReputationRep:
    NOT TO ME...i don't trouble gays,nor am i ever around gays, i just think its disgusting...SO WHAT..you will never change me.
    You entitled to your own opinion and I dont intend to change you so.... Goodbye

ReputationRep:
    Studies have proven that same-sex parenting is just as good as opposite sex parenting, prehaps better. Gay people cannot be 'unnatural' or whatever, the most obvious fact is that no one choses their sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    As I said earlier, I don't care what people get up to in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

Yes homosexuality is a fetish, it deviates from what "normal" sex is, ie; one man and one woman having vaginal sex. All other forms, oral, anal, BDSM, w/e you can think of, are done merely for fun.

And I personally find the idea of one man penetrating another man via the anus to be disgusting, sorry if that upsets you.

I do not have a problem with gays as individuals, I believe they should be able to, in general, have a normal life in every other aspect of their lives if they want to, should not be discriminated against when searching for a job for example. They should not be locked up for being gay, and should be allowed to have relationships.

I draw the line at raising children, children should be raised, if possible, by one man and one woman, preferably married.

Single mothers would never have chosen to of been in that position, no one wants to be a lone parent, because it so so much more difficult, yes, people turn out all right, but it's not preferable.
    You're not a homophobe, don't let anyone ever call you that, you're just one big ****ing prude.

ReputationRep:

Sexual orientation does not equal fetishism, say if i had a fetish for i dunno cheese and chocolate right, how is that on the same level as me being attracted sexually to a man or you to a woman? If you believe homosexuality is a fetish then heterosexuality must be too. And not all men have anal sex you know :rolleyes: I know plenty of people that wouldn't go near it, and what about the straight couples who have anal eh?

ReputationRep:
    Sexual orientation does not equal fetishism, say if i had a fetish for i dunno cheese and chocolate right, how is that on the same level as me being attracted sexually to a man or you to a woman? If you believe homosexuality is a fetish then heterosexuality must be too. And not all men have anal sex you know :rolleyes: I know plenty of people that wouldn't go near it, and what about the straight couples who have anal eh?
    Well said, i like to think that heterosexuality and homosexuality are different sides of the same coin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I have no doubt that you were expecting it. Most people who uphold stupid opinions are used to having them shot down, even if that isn't how they see it.

You have argued the stance, effectively, that it should be stigmatised. Your only reasoning for this is that it is "not normal". Therefore, an apt summary of your argument is "it is stigmatised therefore it should be stigmatised." Therefore, you are not very smart. Dress it up in rhetoric and use carefully selected words all you want, but when you cut the fluff, that statement is synonymous to your argument. And it is an absurd statement.

Also, there are a number of studies supporting a genetic link with sexual orientation. Whitam et al. studied thirty-eight pairs of monozygotic twins raised apart and found a homosexuality concordance rate of around 70%. It may seem like a small sample size, but statistically it is extremely unlikely that this is coincidental.

Nobody with any intelligence sees the argument as being as simple as a "gay gene", because sexual orientation is a rather abstract concept for a single gene. No, rather, genetics may (and pretty much definitely do) play an extremely important role in determining one's sexuality.

You may hold the opinion you do in a childish attempt to be controversial, or you may simply not have much grasp of scientific thought or, indeed, you may simply be a victim of stigma. Whatever the reason for your stance on the matter, you're not likely to convince anyone with any intelligence.
    1. 38 pairs is a far too small sample size to make any conclusion whatsoever.

2. Being intelligent has absolutely naff all to do with your opinion, I believe that homosexuality is not normal, and so therefore lack the mental capacity to think otherwise? right...

3. I have no doubt that genetic factors have an influence, in the same way that there are probably genetic factors influencing paedophilia, it doesn't make is socially acceptable in my view.

4. I'm not here to convince you, I'm here to air my opinion, because I can, and discussing this pretty much anomalously gives me more freedom to say what I think, if I said this in public, I wouldn't exactly be popular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumd)
    Well said, i like to think that heterosexuality and homosexuality are different sides of the same coin
    Exactly thats the right way of thinking! I am glad most people think this way just a select few that refuse to see the full picture !

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly not getting this. Fetish implies merely a sexual desire, whereas sexual orientation includes emotion and love, hence homosexuality is a sexual orientation and not a fetish. Just because something isn't what society deems normal doesn't suddenly make it a fetish.

ReputationRep:

2. Being intelligent has absolutely naff all to do with your opinion, I believe that homosexuality is not normal, and so therefore lack the mental capacity to think otherwise? right...

3. I have no doubt that genetic factors have an influence, in the same way that there are probably genetic factors influencing paedophilia, it doesn't make is socially acceptable in my view.

4. I'm not here to convince you, I'm here to air my opinion, because I can, and discussing this pretty much anomalously gives me more freedom to say what I think, if I said this in public, I wouldn't exactly be popular.
    key word: believe, i know homosexuality is normal you'd have to be deluded not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumd)
    key word: believe, i know homosexuality is normal you'd have to be deluded not to.
    **** off, I was trying to be diplomatic by my use of the word "believe"

ReputationRep:
    i'm black and i couldn't give a monkeys lol...thinking being gay is disgusting is not bigoted...its my opinion STRAIGHT...
    yeeahhh so you should appreciate the historical persecution of your own people, all the more reason maybe, to be a supporter of libertarianism.

ReputationRep:
    i think its disgusting tbh
    why? I think fair enough if a gay couple have a child. Long as they look after it. PS what does Japan etc have to do with this thread? Or am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    Having two females as guardians> having two males as guardians.

ReputationRep:

It's not normal in the sense that the majority of the population is not gay. don't think they ever will be, so it'll be a perpetual minority. But does that neccesarily make them such a derogatory influence on the population? Do they, in essence, have a bad affect on others and their adopted children? Every civilisation attacks surging minorities in almost all forms, what is socially unacceptable of sexual prevarications may I ask? Do they become incorrigible criminals as a rule? How's the social status of the majority of gays? I don't have a stat here but I dare say the stats are in their favour of freedom & rights...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.