Turn on thread page Beta

POLL : Gay rights : what if you had two dads? watch

• View Poll Results: What if you had two dads?
    agree with it
    20.29%
    disagree
    37.68%
    wouldn't effect my mental and social upbringing
    42.03%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordenfruitbat)
    You didn't answer my question I wanted to know whether you would agree with the child going to a homosexual family in the case of it staying with an abusive family or going to the gay family.
    Yes I agree that a child would have a better upbringing in a gay caring family as opposed to a straight abusive family.

But I presume that the thread is: Gay caring family vs Straight caring family, so it's completely irrelevant point anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    farther?
    Posh are we.
    probably not, it's spelt wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    Yes I agree that a child would have a better upbringing in a gay caring family as opposed to a straight abusive family.

But I presume that the thread is: Gay caring family vs Straight caring family, so it's completely irrelevant point anyway.
    In the context of the thread yes the point is invalid I wanted your own opinion though as you seem to be so anti-gay.

Do you not see it as discrimination to disallow gay people to adopt? We are just as human and caring, and as capabable parents as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoe Edwards)
    probably not, it's spelt wrong.
    Yes I know.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Oops, made a mess of this post. Scroll down.

ReputationRep:
    There wouldn't be anyone to make me sandwiches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    What if you had two Dads, rather than a farther and a mother or one parent?

How would you feel?

POLL

Is a mother not necessary? Does she make a difference? Would nature work with two males? What is the need for females ... then?

Does a child need a masculine and feminine role model?

Please be honest. don't let media put you under pressure.

"i would miss my mummmmy. but if i had never known any different, i'm sure it'd be ok i do think every girl needs a mother, who has been through the same things and can probably understand better than a dad could (especially my dad ha), and is always there to talk to, but that's not to say same-gender parents would not be good parents"

PS: my deepest sympathies go to the people effected in Japan

Murder is being commited. People are being slaughtered. Bahrain has allowed 3 different armies from neighbouring oil-rich contries to come and slaughter innocent protestors wanting democracy.

Are the USA so politically interested that they won't without a blink condem bahrains government and saudi arabia?

PS: I am surprised David Cameron actually condemed Bahrain...

Iran is the only country including lebanon and maybe a few others to condemn isreal for violating so many human rights and murdering innocent children.

Iran has the balls to stand up to the USA, which is why the USA and media tycoons tied in the USA interests try to demonise Iran

am i literally the only one who can see right through the USA?

The levels of hypocrisy are incredible.

The Libyan government faces an armed uprising and we go to war with them.

Bahrain employs foreign troops to oppress their own people and we reluctantly tell them not to do it again.
    I'm really confused how Japan got brought into this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
    This! Love is love at the end of the day.
    ^this as well. even if you don't agree with homosexuality what makes it ok to hate on people who are?
    Couldn't agree more . Pretty much sums up everything that would just make the world an easier place, and can apply to any personal views people may have: "What makes it OK to hate on people who are?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordenfruitbat)
    In the context of the thread yes the point is invalid I wanted your own opinion though as you seem to be so anti-gay.

Do you not see it as discrimination to disallow gay people to adopt? We are just as human and caring, and as capabable parents as anyone else.
    Yes, it is discrimination.

So I'll discriminate, I find there to be something fundamentally unnatural about gay people raising children.

I won't try to stop you adopting, or go on marches or spread hate against gays or even mention that I think that to anyone, but some things are just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Couldn't agree more . Pretty much sums up everything that would just make the world an easier place, and can apply to any personal views people may have: "What makes it OK to hate on people who are?".
    let's start a revolution

ReputationRep:
    I'd get on with my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Stigma to fuel stigma; the genius of the modern troglodyte.
    off topic interjection: nice use of the word troglodyte

ReputationRep:
    1. 38 pairs is a far too small sample size to make any conclusion whatsoever.
    No. I did predict and pre-empt this stupid statement before you said it in the hope that you would be deterred but it seems that you have steamrolled ahead anyway. You need to learn statistics, my friend. You cannot look at a number and say outright that it is "too small"; you must examine it in terms of statistical significance.

Let's consider the case that the results are purely coincidental (i.e. the correlation is not indicative of a causal relationship between genetics and sexuality).

We have that 26 out of the 38 pairs of twins showed homosexuality concordance. If it's coincidence, we have that the chance of the twin of a homosexual ALSO being a homosexual is about 1/10. Since I can't be bothered with the combinatorics, I'm running a little script to simulate the trials. Each trial, 38 numbers between 1 and 10 are generated. If 26 or more of them are equal to 1, the trial passes and the script ends.

The chance of my script ending on any given trial is the same as 26 out of 38 pairs of identical twins showing concordant homosexuality by chance, i.e. what you are suggesting by criticizing the sample size.

So far I am up to around 6,000,000 trials with no result. I'll keep you posted, but it seems like "no conclusion whatsoever" is looking a little unlikely.

Edit: got to 15 million trials and gave up. I'm sure you have the sense to see how unlikely it is that the 38-twin study produced those results by chance, now. Contrary to what you seemed to think, 26 out of 38 sets of separately-reared twins showing concordant homosexuality is actually a pretty ****ing conclusive result.

ReputationRep:
    No. I did predict and pre-empt this stupid statement before you said it in the hope that you would be deterred but it seems that you have steamrolled ahead anyway. You need to learn statistics, my friend. You cannot look at a number and say outright that it is "too small"; you must examine it in terms of statistical significance.

Let's consider the case that the results are purely coincidental (i.e. the correlation is not indicative of a causal relationship between genetics and sexuality).

We have that 26 out of the 38 pairs of twins showed homosexuality concordance. If it's coincidence, we have that the chance of the twin of a homosexual ALSO being a homosexual is about 1/10. Since I can't be bothered with the combinatorics, I'm running a little script to simulate the trials. Each trial, 38 numbers between 1 and 10 are generated. If 26 or more of them are equal to 1, the trial passes and the script ends.

The chance of my script ending on any given trial is the same as 26 out of 38 pairs of identical twins showing concordant homosexuality.

So far I am up to around 6,000,000 trials with no result. I'll keep you posted, but it seems like "no conclusion whatsoever" is looking a little unlikely.

Edit: got to 15 million trials and gave up. I'm sure you have the sense to see how unlikely it is that the 38-twin study produced those results by chance, now.
    Okay let's assume that it is genetic.

My view is unchanged, they CHOOSE to adopt a child, which I think is immoral.

ReputationRep:
    Okay let's assume that it is genetic.

My view is unchanged, they CHOOSE to adopt a child, which I think is immoral.
    Ah yes. At the failure of one's attempt to reason, we descend into arbitrary, unreasoned statements such as "x is right" and "y is wrong".

I think that's the end of this discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes. At the failure of one's attempt to reason, we descend into arbitrary, unreasoned statements such as "x is right" and "y is wrong".

I think that's the end of this discussion.
    Agreed. I don't like the idea of gays adopting because I find it fundamentally wrong, in the same way that I find the thought of someone hitting a child fundamentally wrong, you can bring up whatever factoids you like saying that the child gets on better in life as it is more disciplined, but that's kinda irrelevant to me.

Maybe my views will change over time, maybe they won't.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. I don't like the idea of gays adopting because I find it fundamentally wrong, in the same way that I find the thought of someone hitting a child fundamentally wrong, you can bring up whatever factoids you like saying that the child gets on better in life as it is more disciplined, but that's kinda irrelevant to me.

Maybe my views will change over time, maybe they won't.
    Ok, let's leave it at that, but please do more research into homosexuality and gay adoption before making a final decision

ReputationRep:
    Imagine a world full of gay people :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
    o well...i've got my own definition of what bigoted is...everyones a bigot then...
    I am not strongly intolerant to ideas other than mine own. That's the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if we're saying a child needs a male and a female role model, we're saying children shouldn't be brought up with only one parent?
    My friend has been brought up by her dad, so she doesn't really have a female role model. The only difference with gay dads is that there are two of them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.