Turn on thread page Beta

POLL : Gay rights : what if you had two dads? watch

• View Poll Results: What if you had two dads?
    agree with it
    20.29%
    disagree
    37.68%
    wouldn't effect my mental and social upbringing
    42.03%

ReputationRep:
    In my case that would be fortunate. I would be able to confide in my parents that I'm also gay and indeed have a boyfriend, rather than playing the good little heterosexual boy act and having to keep the whole thing secret to avoid shame.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine it would make a difference to me personally. I do wish some people had been brought up in this scenario as to hopefully instil some tolerance.

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in a polygamous household with four dads, and I turned out fine. Can't have too many dads.

ReputationRep:
    One thing to be mindful of is how other kids would treat a person with two dads. I'm all for equality, but children can be cruel and there would be a real possibility of the child being alienated. I think that could be damaging.

I don't mean this offensively, I think it's something that would be worthy of genuine concern.

ReputationRep:
    I would need a replacement dad as I am on the verge of killing the crap one I have already. Besides I don't like my pigs spitroastted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    In my case that would be fortunate. I would be able to confide in my parents that I'm also gay and indeed have a boyfriend, rather than playing the good little heterosexual boy act and having to keep the whole thing secret to avoid shame.
    That's sad! My parents are fine with my sexuality, you shouldn't be ashamed

ReputationRep:
    I would:

A) Be a completely a different person with a completely different set of biases, prejudices and beliefs and therefore it would be impossible to reconcile that situation with my own

However, let's say as a hypothetical that tomorrow my dad decides to go gay and marry another man. I would now have two dads and still hold the same mindset I do now. This is the only way such a thought experiment could work. In this scenario:

I would be okay with it :holmes:

(Original post by TurboCretin)
    One thing to be mindful of is how other kids would treat a person with two dads. I'm all for equality, but children can be cruel and there would be a real possibility of the child being alienated. I think that could be damaging.

I don't mean this offensively, I think it's something that would be worthy of genuine concern.
    You know who else gets bullied? Racial Minorities, Mixed Race Children, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, Transexuals, Asexuals, Transgender, Agender, Crossgender, Religious Minorities, the Learning Disabled, Quadrapleigics, Parapleigics, the Short, the Tall, the Obese, Geeks, the Underweight, the Short Sighted, the Long Sighted, Poor People, Rich people, Jews, Average People, Rahs, Chavs, Heterosexuals, Intelligent people, stupid people, state educated, gingers, Foster Children, Adopted Children, Slow developing children, those with EMA, fast developing children, Children with different race/religious adopted parents, those with free school meals, Down's Syndrome, Asthmatics, blondes, Cyclists, Smelly People, the Home Educated, the Privately Educated, people with accents... essentially DIFFERENT people. Some of these are active choices, others are not choices but children will bully them nonetheless. Our bleak acceptance of playground bullying shouldn't be a factor into consideration here but a symptom of a failure of our education system.

As a declaration of interest; I fall into several of those categories having drifted into and out of some of them and I have experienced bullying for every single one of them for one time or another. This does not mean I advocate the destruction of plurality and differences however.

ReputationRep:
    As a girl, I think a mother is really important. I can't imagine how she would feel when she begins her periods. I'm sure the two dads would do their very best but.. I would never have dreamt of going to my dad for something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know to be honest. Same-sex parenting is quite unusual, and there is a greater chance of the child being bullied/harassed at school because of their parents.

Society is still far away from accepting gay adoption - how would a child feel in school such as on Mother's day etc...

I think a child needs the love of his/her mother, but who am I to judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    I don't know to be honest. Same-sex parenting is quite unusual, and there is a greater chance of the child being bullied/harassed at school because of their parents.

Society is still far away from accepting gay adoption - how would a child feel in school such as on Mother's day etc...

I think a child needs the love of his/her mother, but who am I to judge?
    Go with what logically seems morally right, and not what the media pressures you to think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    I can't imagine it would make a difference to me personally. I do wish some people had been brought up in this scenario as to hopefully instil some tolerance.
    Why would you wish some people grew up in a house like this? Everyone has the right to a mother and father in my opinion. If that is not possible, then any loving household will be the next best thing.

ReputationRep:
    You can have two mothers as well you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    not naturally, but i am specifically asking about two dads

ReputationRep:
    "Wouldn't affect my mental and social upbringing"? Are you cats fo real!? Either you're all being so ultra liberal you're delluding yourselves or kids have changed a great deal since I were a lad.. back in the day 'gay' was your basic currency in the playground..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    not naturally, but i am specifically asking about two dads
    Why don't you view lesbian mothers in the same light?

ReputationRep:
    Lesbian mothers = Gay dads.
    The only difference is the gender.
    you are entitled to your opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    "Wouldn't affect my mental and social upbringing"? Are you cats fo real!? I guess society's become a lot more tolerant in the time since I were a lad.. 'gay' was your basic currency in the playground..
    It would also be a bit of a lie, your mental and social upbringing would be different if you had two different heterosexual parents. ****, if you happened to live in the house across the street rather than the one you live in now your mental and social upbringing would be altered in ways you can't possibly predict. The question is whether or not that difference is a cultural abomination or not.

I declare it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but people presume that its a mother with a child who is hanging out with her female friend, whereas if you see two males with a child......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    Yep, but people presume that its a mother with a child who is hanging out with her female friend, whereas if you see two males with a child......
    They would probably assume it's father and mate or father and uncle. Fathers do take their children around these days, at least where I live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    You know who else gets bullied? Racial Minorities, Mixed Race Children, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, Transexuals, Asexuals, Transgender, Agender, Crossgender, Religious Minorities, the Learning Disabled, Quadrapleigics, Parapleigics, the Short, the Tall, the Obese, Geeks, the Underweight, the Short Sighted, the Long Sighted, Poor People, Rich people, Average People, Heterosexuals, Intelligent people, stupid people, state educated, Foster Children, Adopted Children, Slow developing children, those with EMA, fast developing children, those with free school meals, Down's Syndrome, Asthmatics, Cyclists, Smelly People, the Home Educated, the Privately Educated, people with accents... essentially DIFFERENT people. Some of these are active choices, others are not choices but children will bully them nonetheless. Our bleak acceptance of playground bullying shouldn't be a factor into consideration here but a symptom of a failure of our education system.
    :love: This.

I'd be interested to know if it's solely straight people who seem to think that you will miss out on something irretrievable by having two parents who are both XX or both XY. I suspect it is.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.