Turn on thread page Beta

POLL : Gay rights : what if you had two dads? watch

• View Poll Results: What if you had two dads?
    agree with it
    20.29%
    disagree
    37.68%
    wouldn't effect my mental and social upbringing
    42.03%

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, it would've sounded weird as a kid when I got scared saying "Daddy" instead of "Mummy"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    I disagree. Gay parents may be good, but they will not be as good as straight parents. If I had a child and I had to choose between giving it to an excellent gay couple or an excellent straight couple, the straight couple would win every time.

Generally children have the strongest relationship with their parents. Gay parents are obviously missing something as otherwise the child wouldnt have to turn to other role models. A straight couple could raise a child on their own, gay couple need help.

As I said, gay parents may be able to do a decent job, but at the end of the day- mum and dad>everything else.
    I respect your opinions, but it's hard to debate if you're not substantiating any of them. Why do you feel straight parents are better? Because of the gender influence? What if we changed this to the more real world scenario where the option is gay parents or staying in a care home?

I don't think enlisting help is a bad thing, in fact trying to raise a child with no exposure to others is probably a worse thing, a wide network of people the child can talk to is more likely to come about for the child with gay-parents, and given that we can't guarantee the parents will actually be that helpful with every issue the child has just on the basis of their gender, surely more options to turn to can only be a positive?

Just out of interest, do you feel single parents are better than gay? If they stay single? Or if they get a step-parent at some point along the road?

ReputationRep:
    When I talk about parents in this post, lets assume all parents will try their best to raise the child.
    (Original post by Jesse_Mac)
    I respect your opinions, but it's hard to debate if you're not substantiating any of them. Why do you feel straight parents are better? Because of the gender influence?
    A male and a female influence is, in my opinion, the best possible option. Thats not to say other options will be bad, just not as good. A child needs a male and female influence. A child, in general, has its closet relationship with its parents (at a young age). Therefore logic shows that a heterosexual couple will be the best option, as they will provide the environement needed to raise a child. Two men cannot tell a girl about her periods and pregnancy etc. They can't. Not like a woman can.
    In other societies around the planet, children are mostly raised either by heterosexual parents, or just women. It works. Men are not designed to care for children in the same way that women are. Which is why gay parents will be ineffective.

What if we changed this to the more real world scenario where the option is gay parents or staying in a care home?
    I think any decent parents are better than no parents. So I see no problems with that. However, gay parents should not be top priority. If gay people want a child, I think they should only be given one if heterosexual parents cannot be found for it.

I don't think enlisting help is a bad thing, in fact trying to raise a child with no exposure to others is probably a worse thing, a wide network of people the child can talk to is more likely to come about for the child with gay-parents, and given that we can't guarantee the parents will actually be that helpful with every issue the child has just on the basis of their gender, surely more options to turn to can only be a positive?
    It certainly isn't a bad thing. But I think the fact that gay parents will most likely be incapable of raising a child on their own, shows that they aren't the best option.

Just out of interest, do you feel single parents are better than gay? If they stay single? Or if they get a step-parent at some point along the road?
    A mother raising children on her own can be as good, if not better than two male parents. As I said before, women are designed to care for children. Men generally aren't as good.

Also an interesting point someone raised earlier- we all know homosexuality is biological. So if homosexuals were meant to have children, then surely nature would have provided a way for them to do this. However it hasn't.

Generally children have the strongest relationship with their parents. Gay parents are obviously missing something as otherwise the child wouldnt have to turn to other role models. A straight couple could raise a child on their own, gay couple need help.
    You up your own much? Gay couples don't need help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    You up your own much? Gay couples don't need help.
    I think they do. If they have a daughter and she asks them questions about periods etc, they will be able to answer her, but not as well as a mother could in my opinion.

I think they do. If they have a daughter and she asks them questions about periods etc, they will be able to answer her, but not as well as a mother could in my opinion.
    Oh I think they could answer as well as a mother, do you know any gay dads?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't hard to explain periods etc, why cant a gay dad do it? its not like we dont know what they are o_o

Why do I as a gay man have less of a right to have a child than a straight couple?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
    i think its disgusting tbh
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Men don't have periods. Women do. Sure, I could give you the whole biological information, but i have no idea how it feels. I couldn't reassure the child in the same way a woman could.

Oh I think they could answer as well as a mother, do you know any gay dads?
    I don't know any gay dads. However I know plenty of straight dads and plenty of men, none of which would be able to adequately explain these things.

(Original post by Jordenfruitbat)

Why do I as a gay man have less of a right to have a child than a straight couple?
    Firstly gay couples can't 'have' a child in the same sense as a heterosexual couple (i.e. pregnancy and birth)

Straight couples are better (I'm not saying gay couples are bad, although I do think lesbian parents would be better at raising a child then gay parents. As i've said before, in other societies (especially tribal societies) the children are raised mainly by women)

A child needs to grow up in the best environment possible. I'm not saying gay couples are bad, but are they whats best for the child? Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    It's such a minor issue though, that your comment that heterosexual couples should always be prioritised seems ridiculous. Your argument is based on personal preference. Well MY personal preference is that I'd instantly preferentially give up a daughter to a male homosexual couple who had more stable jobs, a higher household income, a good level of education etc. than a heterosexual couple lacking in these things. And if said daughter found her dads unable to answer her questions about periods very well, speaking as a teenager, it's REALLY not that major an issue compared to the other woes of teenage life. We're living in an age of easily accesible information, and there's always the Sexual Health forum on TSR if she really gets stuck (:rolleyes:)

For example, I can assure you I've never gone to my dad with any questions even remotely concerning my sexual health. So why don't we prioritise parents who are comfortable about topics of sexual health? From the perspective of gender roles, the advantages of opposite-sex parents are completely redundant if the parents are withdrawn on these topics.

ReputationRep:
    Your poll makes no sense whatsoever. Surely options 1 and 3 are the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    It's such a minor issue though, that your comment that heterosexual couples should always be prioritised -. Your argument is based on personal preference. Well MY personal preference is that I'd instantly preferentially give up a daughter to a male homosexual couple who had more stable jobs, a higher household income, a good level of education etc. than a heterosexual couple lacking in these things. And if said daughter found her dads unable to answer her questions about periods, well it's really not that major an issue compared to the other woes of teenage life. THere's always the Sexual Health forum on TSR if she really gets stuck.

For example, I can assure you I've never gone to my dad with any questions even remotely concerning my sexual health. So why don't we prioritise parents who are comfortable about topics of sexual health?
    I never said always. I said assuming all candidates would do a good job, heterosexual couples would still be the best option. If the straight couple are crappy they shouldn't get any child until they sort themselves out.

I don't know any gay dads. However I know plenty of straight dads and plenty of men, none of which would be able to adequately explain these things.
    Ah your basing it on straight men not gay men, quite the flaw no? just becasue straight men cannot answer these questions doesn't automatically mean gay men can't.

ReputationRep:
    Ah your basing it on straight men not gay men, quite the flaw no? just becasue straight men cannot answer these questions doesn't automatically mean gay men can't.
    :facepalm:

They are all males. Just because gay people have a different sexual preference doesn't mean their brains are different in any other way.

ReputationRep:
    Men don't have periods. Women do. Sure, I could give you the whole biological information, but i have no idea how it feels. I couldn't reassure the child in the same way a woman could.

Firstly gay couples can't 'have' a child in the same sense as a heterosexual couple (i.e. pregnancy and birth)

Straight couples are better (I'm not saying gay couples are bad, although I do think lesbian parents would be better at raising a child then gay parents. As i've said before, in other societies (especially tribal societies) the children are raised mainly by women)

A child needs to grow up in the best environment possible. I'm not saying gay couples are bad, but are they whats best for the child? Probably not.
    But say what if a gay couple were better parents - More caring, better living conditions, secure jobs, more responsible

Should they still not be the one to have the child, and it goes to a straight couple who are worse?

Sexuality really doesn't matter does it really? The child is still getting the love and care it needs regardless of whether they have two dads, two mums, or a mum and dad

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness, in terms of adoption, I really don't think we should see it as people having the right to adopt. Adopting is a privilege, and the interests of the children should be paramount.

Now, obviously it is in the interests of the children to let gay couples/lesbian couples/single people adopt because any family set up is better than that of an adoption home, not to mention gay parents have been proven to be equally as capable as straight couples, but I think by no means is adoption or access to a child a right as such.

:facepalm:

They are all males. Just because gay people have a different sexual preference doesn't mean their brains are different in any other way.
    From my experience gay men have handle this a lot better than straight men, they are more prepared for the question as they know that one of them will be asked, also a fair few straight single fathers are preapred for the question too and thus able to answer it better than straight men who have the mother around.

In France you'd be denied the right to any parental rights if you are gay, even if the child is your own biological child

ReputationRep:
    But say what if a gay couple were better parents - More caring, better living conditions, secure jobs, more responsible

Should they still not be the one to have the child, and it goes to a straight couple who are worse?

Sexuality really doesn't matter does it really? The child is still getting the love and care it needs regardless of whether they have two dads, two mums, or a mum and dad
    Yes love is the most important thing. But it isn't the only thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    In all fairness, in terms of adoption, I really don't think we should see it as people having the right to adopt. Adopting is a privilege, and the interests of the children should be paramount.

Now, obviously it is in the interests of the children to let gay couples/lesbian couples/single people adopt because any family set up is better than that of an adoption home, not to mention gay parents have been proven to be equally as capable as straight couples, but I think by no means is adoption or access to a child a right as such.
    Yeah I did word that wrong I would find it a priveledge if I did manage to adopt a child someday... What I meant is why should a striaght couple be chosen over a gay couple on standards of sexuality, just because there are two fathers doesn't mean that they can't bring up a child just aswell as a straight couple.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.