Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corsa 1.0 £5000 on insurance? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.laurence)
    Buy a brand new polo and get free insurance :sexface:
    Just had a look - it's for over 21s only, grr

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but this must be troll.

My highest quote for my 2003 1.2 Renault Clio was £4,700; I ended up paying £1,800.

Have you intentionally or unintentionally put any criminal convictions or medical conditions for you or any other named drivers?

Is it done on a FULL UK license for all drivers? Lower your annual mileage slightly.

ReputationRep:
    Your insurance rates may be higher/lower depending on your postcode as well btw. £5k is excessive though. But don't expect to be on the same payment as someone who is the same on paper who lives elsewhere.

We did a lot of ringing up to basically haggle it down as well. With admiral in the end. We also did a multi-car policy so put my parents cars into it so they basically have to pay insurance up until mine runs out (ie. my mother is insured until June, mine October so she has a quote from June-Oct from Admiral). You don't get 'tied' into anything after that October though. Might be an option. I know a few friends had it lowered by this as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    How did you get 1 years no claims if you haven't passed your test ?

had my car may 2007 passed my test august 2008
    car in my name insurance in my name and im with an insurance company that lets you build no claims as a learner driver
    definately a plus to getting a car before you take your test...
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    had my car may 2007 passed my test august 2008
    car in my name insurance in my name and im with an insurance company that lets you build no claims as a learner driver
    definately a plus to getting a car before you take your test...
    x
    But how do they know if you're learning to drive between 2007-2008? They don't.

What insurance company btw

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    But how do they know if you're learning to drive between 2007-2008? They don't.

What insurance company btw

x
    they dont know if i was actively learning to drive or not no but i was insured for a provisional license.

Aplan.
    x

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at Elephant actually, I just got quoted £1200 for my car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adem-101)
    There are some truly ridiculous quotes that pop out of the comparison sites. Try and get two "experienced" drivers on the policy as additional drivers (doesn't matter if they don't drive it). Increase your excess. Consider looking at coverbox or similar, and try ringing the insurance companies direct.

You will get a decent quote the more you look
    THAT'S ILLEGAL YOU *******! I hope you drop the soap in prison when I report you to the authorities.

ReputationRep:
    choose a different car for a start. corsa's, fiestas, saxo's, 106's etc all cost more to insure than their insurance group would suggest due to the shocking claims histories these cars now have due to all the CHAV/boy racers crashing them.

its ironic that 10 years ago everyone got the 1.1 saxo as they couldnt insure the VTR or VTS yet now the VTR/VTS is cheaper to insure than the 1.1's

ReputationRep:
    What on earth!

I cant seem to get a quote for less then £6000....

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21, just got license, my post code is quite a bad area...and im looking at most websites and its giving me about me quotes of about £3000, thats with 2 full license holders (30 years+)... anyone know if I could get better deals elsewhere? I was going to spend roughly £3k/4k on a bloody car, not the insurance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    x
    I'd quite like to rep you 4 or 5 times for things you have said in this thread Unfortunately I can only do it the once. Well said on all things about fronting being illegal etc! The high insurance (well not so much anymore) and now high petrol costs just don't make it an option right now

If you don't NEED a car, try just not having one for a year or 2 after passing your test, your insurance will drop a fair bit surprisingly. The quotes I got recently are far lower than when I just passed in 2008.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.