Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a bit curious; 3/5 of my choices this year were to Universities where I did not meet the typical offer; Manchester, Sheffield, Loughborough, to study Information Technology Management for Business.

In all cases I was one grade off, however I'd applied to all of them last year and, without sounding too cocky, I had some exceptional experience detailed in my personal statement. Despite the grades, all 3 gave me an unconditional offer.

Is this particularly common? I also had Manchester request scans of my certficates, before they made the offer; is this unusual? I'm not quite sure why they wanted to see them, since they'd check my certificates anyway when I enrolled.

ReputationRep:
    The grade requirements are only a guide line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    The grade requirements are only a guide line.
    Are they really?!
    I got rejected for only having 1 GCSE in Science and they changed it to double award at the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    Every uni i applied to said if i was one mark off any of the entry requirements they wouldn't offer me anything as they could afford to be "choosy" i know Loughborough are picky but i was applying to places like aston and birmingham for business and i had to retake one of my gcse's in order to get in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jgibs)
    Every uni i applied to said if i was one mark off any of the entry requirements they wouldn't offer me anything as they could afford to be "choosy" i know Loughborough are picky but i was applying to places like aston and birmingham for business and i had to retake one of my gcse's in order to get in
    I got the same impression when I emailed unis before I applied; they said they would consider me, but it was unlikely:

Although we do consider applications as a whole we do require applicants to meet our entry requirements for the course.

Based on the information you have provided below you do not meet these minimum academic requirements and therefore it is unlikely that we would be able to make you an offer.
    I know the computing dept at Loughborough informally said anyone who'd narrowly missed the grades and reapplied the year after could expect an unconditional offer.

But I'd expected Manchester/Sheffield to be alot stricter. If others weren't successful, I can only attribute my success to the strength of my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm well good luck but i was shocked when i was apply how strict some unis are! Good luck! when one uni was unsuccessful i called up my favourite to make sure they wouldn't do they same and if they were why ... had to retake some exams got in, in the end!

ReputationRep:
    ALL Ways have a back up uni! don't just apply to all the top ones that you may only just get in to

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.