Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to move in with your girlfriend if you don't intend to marry her? watch

I love her to bits, but I can't see myself getting married to her so is it wrong to move in?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not wrong. If you want to move in then move in, you might change your mind after you live with her. I'm sure not everyone starts out relationships analysing whether or not they can see themselves married to that person...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if she's expecting it?

If this was the case...i would be married 4 times by now and been killed by the womenkind!!

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all. We live in modern times, young one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I love her to bits, but I can't see myself getting married to her so is it wrong to move in?
    If you’re not living with them breakup is a lot simpler as you simply block your phone, fb, etc. and move on with life.

When you live together there are often shared responsibilities such as rent, utilities, etc., and so when you split and one of you has to move you will discover that the additional drama makes the split seem more like a divorce.

You could look at it as a good training exercise preparing you for your first divorce

ReputationRep:
    As long as she's not seeing it as a step towards marriage - just make it clear that you're just moving in - then it's fine. If she's under the pretence that the moving in revolves around potential marriage, you need to correct her.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's not.

If you haven't spoken about marriage then don't worry about it, just don't give her false hopes or lie about it if she asks

ReputationRep:
    Depends how long you've been together I guess. It's only fair to talk to her about it though...don't let her think that this is the first step to marriage if it truly never will be.

ReputationRep:
    Is it that you have made up your mind that you don't want to marry her, or that you just don't feel ready to think about that kind of thing at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you see yourself getting married to her?

People get too bogged down thinking about the future, if you love her and your happy now then why not move in.

If it's only renting you won't have too many commitments that will make it hard to break up of that's how it goes. I honestly believe you don't know anyone properly until you live with them. Who knows, you might change your mind. But if not, at least you gave it a go.

ReputationRep:
    No. So long as shes not expecting it

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not wrong. However, if you can't see yourself being with her in the long term, it might be worth thinking about why you're in a relationship with her in the first place. The longer you stay together and the more commitments you make to each other, the worse it's going to be when/if you decided to break up with her.

ReputationRep:
    Basically your moving in for easier access to her punani when you get up at night to stretch and crack your toes, after a hot cup of horlicks of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why would you consider it if you do not see the relationship having a future? It is a big step forward in a relationship and should not be taken lightly.

If you can't imagine being with her for life then what makes you think you would be able to cope living with her where you would see her every day.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by underthesky)
    Why can't you see yourself getting married to her?

People get too bogged down thinking about the future, if you love her and your happy now then why not move in.

If it's only renting you won't have too many commitments that will make it hard to break up of that's how it goes. I honestly believe you don't know anyone properly until you live with them. Who knows, you might change your mind. But if not, at least you gave it a go.
    Seriously renting has just as many commitments as if you buy. I rented with my ex (bf at the time) and ended up with a full flat of furniture and a ridiculous amount of debt. All because I was in love with him and thought it was the way to go. Was the worst mistake I ever made moving in with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undermyskin)
    Seriously renting has just as many commitments as if you buy. I rented with my ex (bf at the time) and ended up with a full flat of furniture and a ridiculous amount of debt. All because I was in love with him and thought it was the way to go. Was the worst mistake I ever made moving in with him.
    But if you go for a furnished flat so don't buy any big things then it shouldn't be too bad, max rental term is generally 12 months but you can rent for 3-6 months if go through a private landlord. Or even have a break clause in the lease just in case.

I just don't think you should write off living with someone 'just in case' it doesn't work out or because you're not sure if you want to marry that person further along the line. Otherwise the relationship will never progress if you're always thinking "what if". Enjoy the time you have together and then if something happens then at least you know you tried.

ReputationRep:
    I never plan on getting married, i have to live on my own the rest of my life?

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong to move in. It's wrong to lead her on though if you've ruled certain things out in your head..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.