Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to move in with your girlfriend if you don't intend to marry her? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by underthesky)
    But if you go for a furnished flat so don't buy any big things then it shouldn't be too bad, max rental term is generally 12 months but you can rent for 3-6 months if go through a private landlord. Or even have a break clause in the lease just in case.

I just don't think you should write off living with someone 'just in case' it doesn't work out or because you're not sure if you want to marry that person further along the line. Otherwise the relationship will never progress if you're always thinking "what if". Enjoy the time you have together and then if something happens then at least you know you tried.
    I was merely speaking from life experience. I have rented on several occasions with and without partners. I assume you have similar experience so are fit to lecture?
    To actually get a flat, most are 6 month rentals unfurnished unless you go for student flats which are only then studios or rooms. Break clauses are usually for long term leases eg. several years, not short-term tenancies. legislation means you cannot break residential leases within 6 months so regardless you would be tied in for at least 6 months. Cost wise I guess it depends how rich you are then. I have a well paid job, already own furniture but yet my rental, household bills etc. for just for me costs at least £1000 a month.

From personal experience and opinions of others, there is an implied concept that by living with your bf/gf you see the relationship developing further and having a future.

First time I move out, the intention was to set up home as we had intentions of marriage anyway. It was the point when we decided we wanted to go separate ways that we both thought it was inappropriate to live together if things were not heading in that direction as it is much maturity and commitment needed from both parties to be able to live together.

The second time round, I move in with a guy I hadn't been seeing too long, but circumstances meant it was my only real option at the time. It was a casual fling for me that I never saw going any more than a few months but my moving in with him he had automatically assumed it meant I wanted to marry him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undermyskin)
    I was merely speaking from life experience. I have rented on several occasions with and without partners. I assume you have similar experience so are fit to lecture?
    To actually get a flat, most are 6 month rentals unfurnished unless you go for student flats which are only then studios or rooms. Break clauses are usually for long term leases eg. several years, not short-term tenancies. legislation means you cannot break residential leases within 6 months so regardless you would be tied in for at least 6 months. Cost wise I guess it depends how rich you are then. I have a well paid job, already own furniture but yet my rental, household bills etc. for just for me costs at least £1000 a month.

From personal experience and opinions of others, there is an implied concept that by living with your bf/gf you see the relationship developing further and having a future.

First time I move out, the intention was to set up home as we had intentions of marriage anyway. It was the point when we decided we wanted to go separate ways that we both thought it was inappropriate to live together if things were not heading in that direction as it is much maturity and commitment needed from both parties to be able to live together.

The second time round, I move in with a guy I hadn't been seeing too long, but circumstances meant it was my only real option at the time. It was a casual fling for me that I never saw going any more than a few months but my moving in with him he had automatically assumed it meant I wanted to marry him.
    I am not sure to what you considered "lecturing" in my post - take a look at your own post.

Yes I am speaking from experience. The OP asked for opinions and I gave my own. Just because you are unsure to whether you want to marry your partner should not stop you taking that next step. Just because they are different to yours does not mean I am wrong.

I am not sure to your experience of renting but there are plenty of options for a furnished flat for 1 year. And break clauses can exist in any type of lease, yes it may not be as common as in a longer term lease but I was just pointing out that's an option.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean you don't want to get married at all, or you do but just not to her? If it's the second then yes it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Lol wut, of course it's not wrong. You should tell her not to see it as a step towards marriage though.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean you don't ever want to get marrried, or that you don't plan on being with her forever?

If you just don't want to get married but you still want to be with her, fine. But if you don't want to seriously comit to her then why are you getting so seriously into the relationship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I love her to bits, but I can't see myself getting married to her so is it wrong to move in?
    No.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.