Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Why?
    For weapon of MD, which the iraqi's are hiding
    14.29%
    OIL - NUFF SAID.
    85.71%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGC773)
    Yes i do. And who removed him from power? America. Whats your point?
    ... that sounds normal to you?

if i put an evil dictator in power, and then remove him...?

They didn't even go into iraq to do that lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    On the other hand the constitution also explicitly demands that the oil revenue be used for the good of the Iraqi people. In fact the entire Iraqi Constitution is quite brilliant, a result of two centuries of Liberal Democracy having time to refine itself.

I would say the biggest reason is that America wants to look like they were achieving something in the War on Terror, gain some prestige and show some strength. After their initial success in Afghanistan I believe George W. Bush really believed he could change the world, depose tyrannical regimes across the world and be a great american heroic president of the mould of Roosevelt or Wilson. The Republican Party likely bought the interventionist line themselves for great jingo. Any excuses could be brushed aside once they won and won the love of the native population.

Then **** got worse.
    i think its oil + a network of rich families benifitting from the sales of weapons to both sides..

ReputationRep:
    They wanted to make Iraq a better place. Whoops screwed that up as well....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Would't mind knowing how it could be for oil when the War cost America over a trillion dollars and many oil contracts did not go to US companies.

ReputationRep:
    O

I would say the biggest reason is that America wants to look like they were achieving something in the War on Terror, gain some prestige and show some strength. After their initial success in Afghanistan I believe George W. Bush really believed he could change the world, depose tyrannical regimes across the world and be a great american heroic president of the mould of Roosevelt or Wilson.

That's what they want you to think. Romantic story that has no basis in reality.

ReputationRep:
    George bush was sleeping with a iraqi gay...he liked him so much he wanted them all!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    i think its oil + a network of rich families benifitting from the sales of weapons to both sides..
    this girl knows

ReputationRep:
    Lobbying and petrodollar warfare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    That's what they want you to think. Romantic story that has no basis in reality.
    The egos of individuals, on the other hand, are the building blocks of history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Would't mind knowing how it could be for oil when the War cost America over a trillion dollars and many oil contracts did not go to US companies.
    It wasn't about getting oil but about everything around oil. Also when the oil is bought by contractors the money doesn't go directly to the Iraqi government, it goes to the US and then they use that money to rebuild the country. Unsurprisingly >95% of that money is unaccounted for: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...y-2036925.html

ReputationRep:
    The egos of individuals, on the other hand, are the building blocks of history.
    I'm sure Bush's 'advisors' would have massaged his ego enough to make him think he was the one calling the shots.

ReputationRep:
    To topple Saddam's regime and introduce democracy in ancient Babylonia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    It's clearly not just about oil, oil is a significant factor yes but I think a lot of it was also to do with having a military presence on Iran's border to protect Israel. You also have to bear in mind that under the new puppet Iraqi administration, corporations taxes are kept very low, it's a goldmine for American companies.
    Corporate taxes should be low. The country needs investment much more than it needs revenue from taxes.

The idea that the Iraqi givernment is a US puppet is laughable. The US has gained so little from Iraq it can only be desrcibed as a blunder. And US companies do very little business - guess who is raking in the Iraqi cash? The French and the Turks, who opposed Saddam's removal. They are doing lots of building work. You know why? Because bidding is open to anyone.

The people propagating this BS that the Iraqi government are US puppets are the same ****ers in the Arab states who are themselves nothing more than puppets of the Americans or of Arab dictators.

ReputationRep:
    Why did Britain invade India? North America? Africa? Why did Ancient Rome invade Britain, or the countless other areas it overtook? Imperialism isn't dead. It's just a bit more sneaky because no one likes to hear that their country is an "imperialist" country. It gives off a bad connotation that reminds everyone of dead natives. So everyone justifies wars in different ways, or they imperialize using economics or, some would argue culture, though personally I think the idea of cultural imperialism is a bit off. This is also known as "neocolonialism." I'm not saying the US is trying to colonize Iraq; I really don't think that's the case. But who knows what the real reason was except the government, honestly? We can guess all we want, but that's all it will be. Guessing.

But it isn't just the US that does this or ever has, and it likely isn't the last time something like this will happen.

ReputationRep:
    To kick Hitler in the balls and give rainbow flowers to newborns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darknessbehold)
    They wanted to make Iraq a better place. Whoops screwed that up as well....
    I wouldnt say they screwed up. Coalition forces did take a long time to re-establish society and government but; Iraq is experiencing economic growth like never before, more people have electricity and running clean water. Theres less suicide bombers and theres a sense of security.

ReputationRep:
    Americans are the real terrorists

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me sad.

ReputationRep:
    For Oil they used the weapons of mass destruction and saving the Iraqi souls as a decoy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Ages ago I read that Iraq, in retaliation for damaging sanctions, was going to trade oil in currency other then dollars which would have hurt the US. By handing the contracts over to "friendly" European companies, they manage to avoid this. I cant back this up, but I read it in a few places and I am sure it is in Wikipedia somewhere.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.