The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I heard that interviews at Manchester were around GCSE levels so I shouldn't worry too much. I've had an interview at Southampton and Bham; if you want to know more PM me and i'll tell you all!
i've got an interview @ KCL tomorrow, i will tell u how it goes...
Reply 3
Hey thanks... if it's at GCSE level that makes me feel 100 times better. I'm not sure how to PM on here but i hope your Southampton interview went well and good luck with any future ones x
farfalla4
Hey thanks... if it's at GCSE level that makes me feel 100 times better. I'm not sure how to PM on here but i hope your Southampton interview went well and good luck with any future ones x

Go to User CP, then down the side you should see 'send new PM' or something like that. I've just found out that I've got an offer from Birmingham so that interview must have been ok!
farfalla4
Hi I'm new on this website....

I'm studying French, Spanish and Italian at A2 and have an interview for Manchester uni next Wednesday. Has anyone else applied here and got an interview? Also, what questions in the foreign langugaes do you think we'll be asked? Anyone had an interview at other unis? Thanks a lot :smile:

Hey again..!

i had my interview in KCL on wednesday and it went REALLY well. (for french and linguistics). we just basically discussed things that were in my personal statement.(some really linguisticy stuff, as well as french lit!) seriously NO NEED TO WORRY! because manchester's language interviews are much easier than the ones at KCL - and guess what? they gave me an email yesterday saying that i've got the offer!! (but i don't know what the conditions actually are as of yet)
Reply 6
I had an interview at Manchester for Spanish and Chinese. I was totally stressing about it but it wasn't hard at all. The question was very basic (what interests you about Spain?) and there was only 1, I was expecting a grilling! In english (but could be in one of your languages) I was asked why do I want to study .... at Manchester? What books have I read in my langauge etc. Really basic stuff. Nothing to be worried about!
Reply 7
Hey!

Glad your interview went well linguist.

Luvbug... could you give me any other examples of the questions they asked? I'm trying to prepare some stuff. Thank you!
I applied to Manchester and i still haven't heard anything worryingly. Also, i'm not sure what exactly this applicants day on wednesday at birmingham involves as they say its just small groups but they mentioned they'd be able to decide the most appropriate offer from this?
thegingerfox
I applied to Manchester and i still haven't heard anything worryingly. Also, i'm not sure what exactly this applicants day on wednesday at birmingham involves as they say its just small groups but they mentioned they'd be able to decide the most appropriate offer from this?

i have not heard ANYTHING from manchester yet, except an acknowledgment email! (that they've received my app) i'm started to get slightly worried..!
thegingerfox

I went...and the made me an offer. We chatted to some of the students, then we had an interview in a group of 3 which was not challenging to say the least. Then we had a French seminar only in English!
I had an interview at manchester a few weeks ago. I'm applying for French and German though, and she only asked me questions in German. I'd written about a visit to Berlin in my personal statement so she asked me about that, but it wasn't too hard at all really. In english the questions were about why manchester, why French and German, how I felt about the year abroad etc. Good luck!
Well, a friend of mine has appied to Manc for French and Spanish and had an interview yesterday in which the interviewer picked up a dictionary and asked her what "artichoke" was in Spanish, Arabic (she's literally just started), Italian (she did GCSE) and Gujarati (she speaks a bit at home.) He also said that magical realism was a load of rubbish and that he hates South American lit (all the Spanish lit on her PS is South American) and asked whether magical realism would work in Gujarat(!!). As well as such oh-so-academic questions such as whether she can cook. Went on for 35mins instead of 10, and nothing was in Spanish. So you never know...!!
wow... looks like I had a really nice interviewer...
Reply 14
Me too! I haven't heard anything from Manchester either. My interview was basically about why I wanted to come to Manchester, what I had Spanish authors I had read (in spanish or english) what interested me about Spain (this bit was in Spanish) and did I have any questions. That was it. Honestly it's not hard. However I could be talking rubbish here as for all I know they are going to reject me. (I don't actually mind though because I have an offer for Bristol!!!!!)
Reply 15
Meh I've not heard anything from Manchester either, for Chinese & Spanish as well :tongue:

quite a few of my mates have got interviews up there, so yeah bit concerned that i'm gonna get rejected because really that's by far the best Chinese & Spanish course I've found... argh wish they would just tell me lol!
Reply 16
Don't worry too much about the interview - last year 3 of my friends who also applied to Manchester didn't even go to their interviews and they still got accepted!
I think one of the most important things to bear in mind at interviews is to be confident. Not confident to the point of arrogance of course - there's no point in going to uni if you (think you) know everything - but just have a certain convinction in yourself and your ideas. The interviewers aren't going to try and trick you; they'll mainly want to see someone interested and interesting who would be worth teaching.

Good luck to you all!
Reply 18
I had my manch interview and you guys were all right - it was really easy. I was only in there for 15 mins and then an hour talk - that was it for around 10 hours travelling :eek: !
10 hours?! where do you live?! well done though! I got an offer from there today, but don't think i'll take it.

Latest

Trending

Trending