Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Finance - Depression - Reapplying - urgent help watch

ReputationRep:
    Right.

I left uni during 2nd year in march 2010 after having really bad depression. At the time I couldn't bring myself to go doctors or uni counsellor and spiraled downwards
    Into quite a self indulgent pit of misery on reflection. I left uni and have since got a bit better.
    I want to start uni all over again on a much more suitable course, but will need to appeal to get three more years funding and will need a letter from a doctor or someone official. Would a doctor be able to do this retrospectively if I explained everything. Its like they assume people find it easy to go doctors whilst being depressed. I found I was so inadequate at expressing how I felt and behaved that I'd be turned away or fobbed off. What should I do now?

ReputationRep:
    i just think im going to have to try explain to doctor and if they say no lord only knows what im going to do.

ReputationRep:
    Just explain it to your GP and if the GP has a heart, they will help you and write a letter.

The letter doesn't have to say much, just that you had depression, from a doctor and that's all you need.

Your GP will want to help you! Don't be afraid.

Just get the letter and send a photocopy of it with your application

I can't imagine the Dr would say no! Your wellbeing is in their interest

ReputationRep:
    I just have a problem with people (i mean student finance not tsr people) assuming people find it easy to go to a doctor about depression, i went once before when i was 18, didnt know how to get my point across and left feeling silly for going, and told it would just be exam stress. i couldnt get out of bed, or talk to anyone or go work or turn up to exams when i was in my second yr, i dont know how they expected me to go see a doctor its only till now ive realised how i let it affect my life, and now it has the opportunity to completely dash everything id hoped for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Just explain it to your GP and if the GP has a heart, they will help you and write a letter.

The letter doesn't have to say much, just that you had depression from a doctor and that's all you need.

Your GP will want to help you! Don't be afraid.
    you think it will be that easy?? i mean i dont know if it would be in my records of my informal chat with ****ty locum doctor about 4 years ago when i went in the first time and was turned away, that could help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin-matt)
    I just have a problem with people (i mean student finance not tsr people) assuming people find it easy to go to a doctor about depression, i went once before when i was 18, didnt know how to get my point across and left feeling silly for going, and told it would just be exam stress. i couldnt get out of bed, or talk to anyone or go work or turn up to exams when i was in my second yr, i dont know how they expected me to go see a doctor its only till now ive realised how i let it affect my life, and now it has the opportunity to completely dash everything id hoped for.
    You need to tell your GP all this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin-matt)
    you think it will be that easy?? i mean i dont know if it would be in my records of my informal chat with ****ty locum doctor about 4 years ago when i went in the first time and was turned away, that could help.
    Yes.

I don't think that matters. You explain what happened depression etc etc and they will most likely write you a letter

Just go and see your GP and stop agonising

ReputationRep:
    sorry all. thanks for the advice, im probably being anxious over nothing, i really cannot sleep till i sort this all out.

ReputationRep:
    Il let everyone kno what the doc says... Anymore advice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.