The Student Room Group

Self-harm on medical record but considering medical school?

it's possible I've just put this in the wrong forum, but I don't think I could post this without the anonymity.

As the title states, I'm thinking of going into the medical career, but I have on my records that I've self harmed over a year ago now. To make matters worse for myself, before I even considered medicine I got a tattoo to cover the scars (as well as the fact that I'm a tattoo fanatic :smile:
I'm currently doing a Biology degree and if I decide that medical school is what I want to do then I'll probably do the graduate 4 year fast track.
So I have plenty of time ahead of me before I completely set it in stone.

The big question is, how do medical schools look upon past self-harmers or even people with inner arm tattoos? what are my chances of even getting past the health assessment? and in general would it be considered normal for medical professionals to have tattoos or a history of self-harm?

Well I hope I didn't rant on too much there. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply 1
its who you are now...

however, best to phone them up and ask them.
To be honest you don't deserve a place for having a tattoo
Reply 3
Not sure about the medical school, but i was accepted onto a teaching course when i had 3 years self harming on my records, granted i did have to get ask my councellor nicely to write a letter to them saying she believed in her professional opinion that i was through it all and would never do it again (i am forever in her debt)
I was a self harmer and now a medic! It doesn't matter.
Reply 5
Well its only been on my record once and it would of been on there for 4/5 years when it comes to applying.

But I do have a tattoo also, so I hope that doesn't stop me from getting in!

but thanks, that's really given me a bit more confidence and obviously pushed me to maybe try for medicine in the future :smile:
When you get offered a place at medical school, it's conditional on a health check. Everyone fills out a questionnaire, and anything that you tick 'yes' to, they investigate a bit. I got a phone interview with occupational health, and had to have a report from my GP, and they were honestly more interested in my eczema than my mental health history.

As for your tattoo, so long as it isn't offensive, it's generally ok. Cover it up at interview, though. There are people at my medical school with green hair and facial piercings, so a single arm tattoo won't make much difference.
Reply 7
Original post by Becca-Sarah
When you get offered a place at medical school, it's conditional on a health check. Everyone fills out a questionnaire, and anything that you tick 'yes' to, they investigate a bit. I got a phone interview with occupational health, and had to have a report from my GP, and they were honestly more interested in my eczema than my mental health history.

As for your tattoo, so long as it isn't offensive, it's generally ok. Cover it up at interview, though. There are people at my medical school with green hair and facial piercings, so a single arm tattoo won't make much difference.

Awesome, thank you! that's really inspiring. I always usually cover my tattoos if its a formal event anyway.

:smile:
Reply 8
I doubt it'd be a problem. Lots of med students and drs have mental health issues
Reply 9
Original post by No Future
I doubt it'd be a problem. Lots of med students and drs have mental health issues

LOL cheers
Original post by Anonymous
LOL cheers

Seriously!

They won't not accept you. You may need to declare it on the health forms, but if anything they'll just want to find ways to offer support/help you if necessary
Original post by No Future
Seriously!

They won't not accept you. You may need to declare it on the health forms, but if anything they'll just want to find ways to offer support/help you if necessary

Amen! Occy health are there to help not chuck you off the course.
Reply 12
Hope you get in :smile: your past won't affect your future, its who you are now that is important! Good luck :smile:
Hi,

I don't think it matters!

When you apply for med school they'll ask you to fill out some forms and you'll have to declare it on there.

But they also say that they have an equal opportunities thing going - ie. the only reason that would prevent you from getting in is if it would severely affect your capacity to work - which it won't, in fact it may have made you an even better doctor! - or if you'd put danger to patients, which again you won't!

So it's cool (as everyone else has already said! :tongue:)
Original post by Anonymous
it's possible I've just put this in the wrong forum, but I don't think I could post this without the anonymity.

As the title states, I'm thinking of going into the medical career, but I have on my records that I've self harmed over a year ago now. To make matters worse for myself, before I even considered medicine I got a tattoo to cover the scars (as well as the fact that I'm a tattoo fanatic :smile:
I'm currently doing a Biology degree and if I decide that medical school is what I want to do then I'll probably do the graduate 4 year fast track.
So I have plenty of time ahead of me before I completely set it in stone.

The big question is, how do medical schools look upon past self-harmers or even people with inner arm tattoos? what are my chances of even getting past the health assessment? and in general would it be considered normal for medical professionals to have tattoos or a history of self-harm?

Well I hope I didn't rant on too much there. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Depends on the tattoo.
Reply 15
Would your tattoo be visible when wearing clinical attire (short sleeves/rolled up sleeves)?
Reply 16
Hello,

I'm currently in the 3rd year of medical school (well, 2nd year on Graduate entry). I have a long history of mental health problems including self harm. I covered my scars for interview, but due to the policy of "bare below the elbow" when carrying out anything clinical I've not been able to hide it (and don't want to, my scars are a symbol of me surviving). I did have to put it on my occupational health form, and got asked questions about it by them, but it definitely has not stopped me getting in at all.

The realities though are that there are people who are judgemental, both students and clinicians, but mostly people don't seem to ask about it. I'm looking to do some research in to self harm amongst medical students and how medical schools can better support all their students.

Good luck with applying!

Jaidigi

Quick Reply

Latest