Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep anon, really rather embarrassing.

I'm male, I'm straight (so there's no point making silly anal-related comments), and for the last month or so whenever I "take a dump" I've been finding blood most of the time as I'm done (i.e. on the toilet tissue etc) [yes, really embarrassing].
    Does anyone have any idea what I can do to self-diagnose further; probably just something minor (I was having diarrhoea for a while and a larger than normal number of bowel movements)
    x

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor. Bleeding from an orifice for any length of time needs to be discussed with a qualified doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Hemorrhoids? Either way, you should probably get it checked out. But if it was ripped by a larger than normal bowel movement, it is possible that it's hemorrhoids.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    You might have torn something because you've been excreting a lot. I'd say go to a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a number of things mate - given that you're bleeding, it's definitely a matter for the GP.

I can understand why you might feel embarrassed, but these sort of investigations are everyday occurrences for a GP (and generally painless too) so you really shouldn't worry and book an appointment soon.

ReputationRep:
    ulcerative colitis maybe? nothing to worry about, but generally worth a look
    hope all is well soon

It sounds gross but it depends on the colour of the blood, if it's bright red and you're seeing it when you've wiped, it's probably a close-to-the-exterior tear that means you should just be careful.

If it's dark almost black blood it means its coming from higher up and is a greater cause for concern, but to be safe either way and reassure yourself just go mention it to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon, really rather embarrassing.

I'm male, I'm straight (so there's no point making silly anal-related comments), and for the last month or so whenever I "take a dump" I've been finding blood most of the time as I'm done (i.e. on the toilet tissue etc) [yes, really embarrassing].
    Does anyone have any idea what I can do to self-diagnose further; probably just something minor (I was having diarrhoea for a while and a larger than normal number of bowel movements)
    x
    I would say go see your GP, sounds like you could possibly have piles or anal fissures, both are common if you: don't drink enough water; don't eat healthily or have been constipated.

Don't ever hold a poo in, you will make the situation worse, just drink plenty of water and make an appointment with the doc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth292)
    ulcerative colitis maybe? nothing to worry about
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - perhaps, but it sounds to me like a latent haemorrhoid, old chap - yes, you've got piles! As in one or more weak and distended small blood vessels up yer end. Very common, especially in young men for some reason. The latent variety becomes 'active' under pressure, hence your situation. Get thee to a chemist for some suppositories - basically a healing medication in waxy pellets which you just stuff up there at regular intervals until the problem subsides. You won't need a prescription. This can often only take a day or two, but if you're prone to them they may recur, so keep a stash of those guys handy. Get a branded variety (e.g. Anusol - subtle name, eh? - or Germolene; own brands are cheaper but cheaply made and are less comfortable to use. They also offer straight men a rare opportunity to experience harmless and painless anal penetration, so consider it research.

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

(so there's no point making silly anal-related comments)
    Damn...

Constipation. Sounds pretty much exactly what i've got, if the blood's just on the toilet paper then haemorrhoids are a likely option, if it's in the stool then that's a rather different problem, When i went to the doctor he just prodded my stomach to confirm- go and see your GP, even if it is VERY embarassing!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.