Turn on thread page Beta

will 3 minor faults in a category result in a failure? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bncoxuk)
    I used two driving instructors before, but they were not very clear about this rule.

I do appreciate the help of the members here. So nothing about speculation. I failed 5 times now, really nervous.
    I meant the post I quoted, she's an instructor :P As that post says, the reason it's not clear is because there are no set rules.

ReputationRep:
    lol.....I got 5 minors and still passed.....you'll be fine if you get that OP

edit - I just got what you meant. Yes if it's in the same category, it results in a major!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule. It might be 3, it might be 4, it might even be 5

The problem is that some categories on the form are quite wide and cover a number of scenarios, even though the minor fault is classed as the same. I suspect they also take into account the number of times you could have committed the fault. For example, 4 minor faults on mirrors will be less than 4% of the total mirror checks; however, 4 positioning errors on junctions will be 15% or more. This is because you do many more mirror checks than junctions. The former may well not be a habitual fault, the latter will be.
    This pretty much explains it.

(Original post by Boristhethird)
    four or more is a fail for the car test, bike test its three.
    Wrong, I'm afraid. While this may have happened on each or any individual test you experienced, this cannot be regarded as a template rule for every test. Even a stopped clock can tell the correct time twice a day, but it's wrong the rest of the time.

Folks, any more ideas to be shared? Shall we just discard or respect something like 3 minors in a category?
    Personally, I feel you should disregard the whole marking system and concentrate on your driving. If you drive as close to the defined outcome as you can, you should come away with a clean sheet. Aim for perfection and even under the pressures of the day when you deviate from "ideal perfection", you should commit very few recordable driver faults and "not worthy" faults. At this point, the whole worry of "was that the 3rd or the 5th?" becomes irrelevant. If you are committing the same mistake even twice in one driving lesson, then this needs addressing before you attempt a test.

Don't settle for second best; the examiner certainly won't. Don't worry about what he marks; don't give him anything to mark. At the end, you'll get a copy of the report, so you shouldn't need to watch him like a hawk every time his pen moves. If you do require clarification on any mark at the end of the test, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    lol.....I got 5 minors and still passed.....you'll be fine if you get that OP

edit - I just got what you meant. Yes if it's in the same category, it results in a major!

boromir9111, your answer makes me think again. But most of our other members here disagree about it. It's so bad the 3-minor-fault-in-a-category caused so much confusion.

I don't want to fail again. So have to be cautious with and understand the whole assessment system.

I do hope there is nothing like 3 minor rule. Any more encouraging answers to conclude this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    nope. 15 and over... then you fail
    Read the whole post, imbecile.

OP: When I took my driving test it was 3 in any category, then the fourth was a serious fault, and a fail.

ReputationRep:
    boromir9111, your answer makes me think again. But most of our other members here disagree about it. It's so bad the 3-minor-fault-in-a-category caused so much confusion.

I don't want to fail again. So have to be cautious with and understand the whole assessment system.

I do hope there is nothing like 3 minor rule. Any more encouraging answers to conclude this?
    It was either 3 or 4 in the same category and this results in a major and hence, a fail.....I can't remember lol.....

ReputationRep:
    This post is indeed practical and meaningful. If you failed the best because of the 3 minors in the same category without any major/dangerous faults, you will find it is really bitter. So it is important to know this earlier.This post seemed to raise a lot of interest, and it seemed that there is big disagreement among us regarding the 3-minor-faults-in-a-category rule. Generally, the views can be summarised as:

1) > 3 minors in a category leads to a failed test;
    2) >= 3 minors in a category leads to a failed test;
    3) no definite rule about the assessment based on 3 minors in a category.

For 1), comments are:
    "It's 4 =D" (member: greeneyedgirl)
    "I heard it was 4, but I'm sure that it's really just 15+ overall" (member: AnonyMatt)
    "If you get 4 or more minors in a certain category you get a major for it (so you fail)" (member: Emma)
    "Yep its 4 minors in the same area" (member: KJane)
    "four or more is a fail for the car test" (member: Boristhethird"

For 2), comments are:
    "My friend failed his first test for being marked down for driving too slowly three times" (member: FXX)
    "It was either 3 or 4 in the same category and this results in a major" (member: boromir9111)

For 3), comments are:

"I passed with 13 minor faults, and definitely had more than 3 for braking too suddenly" (member: tazarooni89)
    "I had 5 in one category and still passed. I guess it depends on how serious the mistake is" (member: hmjessop)
    "It's definitely MORE than 3 in a category. I got 3 minors for hesitation and I just passed" (member: bananabrain)
    "Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule. It might be 3, it might be 4, it might even be 5" (member: Emma-Ashley)

ReputationRep:
    there is no hard or fast rule, the examiner is there to judge your driving/riding. A repetitive fault may be regarded as habitual and therefore be classed as serious or dangerous, however it is up to the examiner in the end and they have to use their judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    there is no hard or fast rule, the examiner is there to judge your driving/riding. A repetitive fault may be regarded as habitual and therefore be classed as serious or dangerous, however it is up to the examiner in the end and they have to use their judgement.

I believe so. I tried to find if there is any official document regarding this, but cannot find it. The question is:

If there is no such official rule regarding this, then why there are so many people having perceptions that 3 minor faults in a category will lead to an error? This has become very wide now.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the standard for examiners.

(Original post by DSA DT1)
    DEFINITION OF FAULTS
    Faults are defined as follws:
    A driving fault is one, which in itself is not potentially dangerous. However, a
    candidate who habitually commits a driving fault in one aspect of driving throughout
    the test, demonstrating an inability to deal with certain situations, cannot be regarded
    as competent to pass the test, as that fault alone must be seen as potentially
    dangerous.
    A serious fault is one, which is potentially dangerous.
    A dangerous fault is one involving actual danger to the examiner, candidate, the
    general public or property. (Note: If the fault has been assessed as dangerous then
    this should be marked regardless of any action taken by the examiner.
    Faults should be marked with an oblique stroke in the appropriate box
    So there's the guidance examiners have on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I got four minors for speed/approaching junctions or something and it wasn't a major.

ReputationRep:
    I searched widely in google and found very different results. I am really confused now.

Some posts said if you committed more than 3 minor faults in a particular category, then this accrues to to a serious habitual one. This means you are only allowed to make up to 3 minor ones in a category. Any number >=4 will result in a failure.

Some posts said 3 minor faults in a category have already resulted in a failure. So here the number is >=3.

I checked the official DSA website, and could not find any information about the number of minor faults in a category. It only says, to get a pass, you can only make up to 15 minor ones without making a serious or dangerous fault. I got a BSM book (2008) which also only mentions about the 15 minor faults without saying anything about the 3 minor ones in a category.

Can any help to clarify? Really appreciate it...
    my instructor says yes it does, but my experience has shown, no it doesnt but depends what the fault is.

in my first test i got 4 minors for jerky steering but failed on something else. My second i got 3 minors for steering or braking harshly or something similar and failed for something else. the debrief said i didnt fail for those reasons but it wasnt nice for the passenger. i can imagine if i was 3x minors for say, obs or junctions then year i can see why you might fail.

ReputationRep:
    the rules are

3 minors for the same fault = 1 major
    >3 minors in the same category = 1 major
    >= 15 minors overall = a fail

you shouldn't think about it. just drive as you drive in lessons, your instructor thinks you're ready if they let you take the test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    the rules are

3 minors for the same fault = 1 major
    >3 minors in the same category = 1 major
    >= 15 minors overall = a fail

you shouldn't think about it. just drive as you drive in lessons, your instructor thinks you're ready if they let you take the test
    Those are not the rules (other than the last one)... as I said in my last post, there are no fixed numbers (and there is no such thing as a major, it's either a serious or dangerous fault), other than the >=15 driving faults is a fail. It is up to the instructor to use their professional judgement to decide if a repeated fault is habitual or not, and mark accordingly. If a student misses 4 mirror checks on their entire drive, but does them on all other occasions, it is not likely that the fault is habitual, and therefore they may get 4 minors for that one fault but not a serious or dangerous fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriscpritchard)
    Those are not the rules (other than the last one)... as I said in my last post, there are no fixed numbers (and there is no such thing as a major, it's either a serious or dangerous fault), other than the >=15 driving faults is a fail. It is up to the instructor to use their professional judgement to decide if a repeated fault is habitual or not, and mark accordingly. If a student misses 4 mirror checks on their entire drive, but does them on all other occasions, it is not likely that the fault is habitual, and therefore they may get 4 minors for that one fault but not a serious or dangerous fault.
    i took my test 3 years ago so i'm probably out of date!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    i took my test 3 years ago so i'm probably out of date!
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 minors under moving off safely (didn't check my left blind spot) in my first test and failed because of it. I didn't really mind though, I got 15 minors in total and I didn't feel like I was ready to drive by myself back then anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 minors in hesitation.and they take that as a major.I was pissed off.I thought I passed. I m furious now. Only 3 minors in hole test.but she said its epual to major

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 11, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.